Art Auctions?

LMHSRN

While on the 3/26 sailing of the Zuiderdam I attended the art auction on the last day. Just went on a whim and while looking at all the items I found 3 pieces that I was interested in for my new office. I tagged them and bid on them when they came up. All three were Beatles Yellow Submarine animation art. All three came framed and I can't wait for them to arrive. I have no problem with this part of the auction. If you like something buy it...

Right after this I went to Bingo and won a raffle for $500 of art. I met the dealer and was told I could not apply the $500 to my Beatles purchases and I had to select 2 pieces from 6 that he had on display. During the auction he made a big deal that all the art came framed as you saw it. I didn't like any of the free ones, but picked two and figured I could use the frames for something else. You also had to pay $35 shipping and he also charged me for appraisals for all 5 pieces.

When my free art arrived at home they came rolled in a mailing tube unframed.

He knew I was only taking the art because of the frames and I'm sure he knew they would arrived unframed in a tube.

It's not the end of the world but I do feel taken advantage of. Sure hope my Beatles items come framed or I will be disputing the charge with HAL.

Joni

Just a followup. My Beatles Yellow Submarine art arrived and all looks really GREAT, YES they came framed.

They are for my new office at work and everyone that sees goes crazy for them. "WOW", "Where did you get those", "Very cool".

There was a slight problem with one of the mats - I called Park West and they suggested taking it to a local frame shop and get it fixed and they will pay the costs (I do need to get it the cost authorized first). All in all I like what I bought, but am still disappointed with my "free" $500 of art won at Bingo.

Would I buy from them again? Yes, if I saw something I really like.

Joni

On the Prinsendam World Cruise, Park west was onboard for auctions for about a week at a time, three separate times. We didn't go to the first one, but browsed through the paintings displayed. We didn't see anything special, so passed on the auction. We did go to an auction after Capetown and wound up buying an Andrew Warden . It was clearly stated that it would be framed. Other works that were sold were clearly stated that they would not be framed. We knew all of the addons to the pricing and still felt that it was an OK purchase. It has arrived as advertised, but came after we left for Ohio, so my sister received it and checked to make sure it is OK. I've checked the internet, but did not find the same series seriograph. Similar series could be found for a little less than we paid, but not substantially so, so I'm pleased with what we got.

Most of the paintings that sold were at the opening bid. Very few attracted a second bid. (They were pretty stingy with the champaign and that might have kept the bidding in check). One person bought several by the same artist to add to her collection by that artist. She said that she knows those works and their value and feels that she got a good deal on them.

For us, it was just another activity and didn't intrude at all.

Grumpy

If the artwork comes matted and framed, then maybe you will get value for money. If not, then all you are getting is a glorified poster which can be bought online for much, much less....JMHO.......jean :cool:

Thanks, Iknick. I'll look it up. Without commenting on why you might have made the comment about profit, let it suffice to say that I've spent the last 40 years in the somewhat successful quest for profit. I know how many letters it has in it.
Because many on this board always want something for nothing and when it is not forthcoming go into conspiracy theories or greed theories.

We have attended several Art Auctions. Most by Park West and one by Princess (they run their own auctions). I must say that we have not been disappointed with anything we have purchased from Park West.

We did have an issue with what we purchased from the Princess Art Auctions. They were not as stated at auction (we thought we purchased hand embelished but did not receive that item). Unfortunately, I failed to read the fine print as I had trust that they were of the highest integerity. Live and learn. We will not purchase from Princess again.

As far as Park West, we have purchased two Peter Max, two Salvadore Dahli, two Rembrandt etchings, numerous Thomas Kinkaid just to name a few. We have been more than pleased with the art work, the shipping and the documentation that comes with the works. We have had no problems getting insurance on the art work for the value stated.

There are always those that have to be negative about things they do not understand. There are those that are skeptic about everything in life. There are those that will feel cheated if they do not received something for nothing.

Go with an open mind. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Value is in the eye of the purchaser!!!!

If the artwork comes matted and framed, then maybe you will get value for money. If not, then all you are getting is a glorified poster which can be bought online for much, much less....JMHO.......jean :cool:
Most of Park West's art comes unframed, but framing can be purchased through the gallery. On take-offs, it all comes as you see it. On Cunard, all art includes a frame as shown.

Park West, as of just recently, is providing frames for all works except take off's and free art. If you purchase it at auction, it comes framed. They just started that

On the free art, you now have the option of having that framed also.

Archived