Perfume allergy

mustardgirl

Wow, in my 50 years, I've never heard of perfume allergies.

It's pretty miserable, LOL. I think since purfumes have moved away from the expensive, natural, ways they used to develop them and into a prefab chemical mix, it's caused a lot more problems.

Almost every doctor's office in my area has signs saying please don't wear purfume for your visits, and if you are wearing purfume, please reschedule for another time.

Wow, in my 50 years, I've never heard of perfume allergies.

Me neither, but I can't discount it. Just like people with "allergy to smoke"..it's not an allergy to perfume or smoke itself, but one ingredient in it.

I'm amazed at all the allergies people say they have, haven't heard of many of them, but I guess they exist.

Thanks everyone for the reply's. No I haven't thought about bringing anything to try to take away the smells, any kind of spray would actually make things worse for her. I think I will be contacting the special needs department, see what precautions they can take as well. We did book a balcony with that thought in mind, that way if nothing else she can sit out there and be away from crowds of people. Hopefully she will get to enjoy dinner in the MDR. Even though it is becoming more common, so many people don't think about how pouring on the smelly stuff can really affect others. :(

I would also caution on using elevators around dinner time:eek:, or carry a hankie you can breathe through until you can get off. It's quite overpowering at times. Makes my eyes tear:rolleyes:

Me neither, but I can't discount it. Just like people with "allergy to smoke"..it's not an allergy to perfume or smoke itself, but one ingredient in it.

I'm amazed at all the allergies people say they have, haven't heard of many of them, but I guess they exist.

It's taken me a few years, but I almost have my DW convinced that I'm "allergic" to "chick flicks".:rolleyes::D

I, too, have severe perfume allergies. What I have learned to do to avoid the overuse of perfume while cruising ---

We never attend formal night as I cannot breathe at all and wind up with a headache for 24-36 hours:( We book the steakhouse, if available, a few times each cruise.

I steer clear of the purfume section of the onboard shops. I rarely use elevators during really busy periods (can't hold my breath that long). When I get a whiff of something that I know will cause me a problem, I move away as quickly from the person or area as I can.

If we're seated for a show, and someone heavily purfumed sits near us, we will move. Seems to help to find a seat near others and not leave open space around us that might invite someone to sit down that is wearing purfume.

Having anytime dining seems to help a lot.

I've never been bothered by anything in our cabin - cleaning solutions, etc.

Overall, since I've learned to steer clear of those places, I haven't had any problems. It has really seemed to be less of an issue on our last few cruises.

I think your mom will be fine as long as she moves along from areas that turn out to be a problem. It might look like I listed some things that might make it look like a lot of work to avoid purfumes, but it really isn't. I have just found that it is easier to move along than have to deal with the stuffed up head or headache.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you! I hadn't even thought about formal night, perhaps I will say something to them about going to the steakhouse that night. Your insight is really helpful!

For those that question whether perfume allergies really exist..... you should have been there when my mother had to go to the ER cause she got stuck in a room w/ someone that poured it on. She was hospitalized for the night, and didn't even know who anyone was because the reaction was so strong. Certainly I doubt anyone wants to be the reason someone else is rushed to the emergency room because of perfume. :eek:

I'm not saying you can't wear the stuff, just realize that putting it on once a day is usually enough, and that if you pour it on you could possibly hurt someone.

Actually smoke is just as bad if not worse. So we are hoping for non smoking neighbors, or at least the nice ones that are understanding of the situation.

I might be naive but I truly think if you told a balcony neighbor about the allergy and asked nicely (and you sound like a nice person) they refrain from smoking constantly on the balcony they would work with you. Most smokers aren't interested in ruining someone's cruise.

Archived