Jewel vs Dawn -- significant differences?

MikeNJ1109

Forgive me in advance, while I did a search could not find a specific thread on this ...

My wife and I cruised the Dawn twice, both times to Bermuda, and had a blast. We've also sailed on several RCL ships (Radiance class, Voyageur Class and Freedom Class), and have enjoyed those cruises as well.

We have a deposit down for a NCL Jewel sailing in November (New York to Pt. Canaveral and the Bahamas), and are taking our 5 (soon to be 6) year old with us. The price was right, a good mix between sea days and port days, it just fits into our schedule. While I've been able to do a little comparison (Jewel is a few years "newer", several different restaurants, and so forth), thought I'd throw this out to the people I trust most regarding cruises, and that's here on CC.

Any comments -- GOOD OR BAD -- on the Jewel overall , thoughts about the Kids Club, the itinerary, the cabins, the food, the service, whatever strikes your fancy, we'd appreciate!

FWIW ... we've NEVER been disapointed on any cruise we've ever taken, whether it's NCL or RCL. Service has always been great, and we've had fun. Since we understand that Jewel is a different "class" of ship than the Dawn, we wanted to throw this out to the group.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I've been on both.

Really not much difference in my opinion. Although Jewel has the Great Outdoors- open air buffet on the back of the ship. Dawn has a better kid's pool area

I thought food was slightly better on Dawn.

I'm doing Jewel again in a few weeks- NY to Bahamas (I did W.Carib before). I'm not thrilled about the ports but it works for us to not have to fly.

It's hard to beat Bermuda.

I'll have a full report w/ pics, dailies etc when I return. My son can't get enough of the Kid's Club( he just turned 6). I've never had bad service on any NCL ship.

I've been on both.

Really not much difference in my opinion. Although Jewel has the Great Outdoors- open air buffet on the back of the ship. Dawn has a better kid's pool area

I thought food was slightly better on Dawn.

I'm doing Jewel again in a few weeks- NY to Bahamas (I did W.Carib before). I'm not thrilled about the ports but it works for us to not have to fly.

It's hard to beat Bermuda.

I'll have a full report w/ pics, dailies etc when I return. My son can't get enough of the Kid's Club( he just turned 6). I've never had bad service on any NCL ship.

Thank you, Russianmom, I appreciate your post. Our daughter has also very much enjoyed the kids club when on a cruise (whether it's NCL or RCL, she practically BEGS us to let her be with her new friends!). And as long as the kids pool area is "reasonable", our daughter will have a blast, we're sure.

I will look forward to reading your review when you return!

Michael

Thank you, Russianmom, I appreciate your post. Our daughter has also very much enjoyed the kids club when on a cruise (whether it's NCL or RCL, she practically BEGS us to let her be with her new friends!). And as long as the kids pool area is "reasonable", our daughter will have a blast, we're sure.

I will look forward to reading your review when you return!

Michael

Since I love reviews with lots of pics, info I will do the same. Let me know if there's any thing specific you are looking to see or know and I will be happy to check it out.

Forgive me in advance, while I did a search could not find a specific thread on this ...

My wife and I cruised the Dawn twice, both times to Bermuda, and had a blast. We've also sailed on several RCL ships (Radiance class, Voyageur Class and Freedom Class), and have enjoyed those cruises as well.

We have a deposit down for a NCL Jewel sailing in November (New York to Pt. Canaveral and the Bahamas), and are taking our 5 (soon to be 6) year old with us. The price was right, a good mix between sea days and port days, it just fits into our schedule. While I've been able to do a little comparison (Jewel is a few years "newer", several different restaurants, and so forth), thought I'd throw this out to the people I trust most regarding cruises, and that's here on CC.

Any comments -- GOOD OR BAD -- on the Jewel overall , thoughts about the Kids Club, the itinerary, the cabins, the food, the service, whatever strikes your fancy, we'd appreciate!

FWIW ... we've NEVER been disapointed on any cruise we've ever taken, whether it's NCL or RCL. Service has always been great, and we've had fun. Since we understand that Jewel is a different "class" of ship than the Dawn, we wanted to throw this out to the group.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I've been on both (before the Dawn was refurbished) and also had a great time on both. But, given the choice, i would sail the Jewel over the Dawn. Two things I love about the Jewel are the buffet area and the Great Outdoors. The buffet area is set up as stations and flows much better in my opinion. I love, love, love the Great Outdoors! I wish every NCL ship had one! Just to be clear though, I would sail the Dawn again as well...

We love the Dawn, too, and we are sailing her next year. We also love the Jewel. I think if you love Dawn you will love Jewel too. They are more similar than different. I would give the Jewel the higher mark for dinner flow of passengers but I prefer th lounges on the Dawn. My daughter- who was 10 when we did the Dawn and 11 when we did the Jewel- loved the kids club on both.

We have sailed two voyager class ships on RCI and enjoyed them, too, but prefer freestyle dining and now are hooked on NCL suites.

Two things I love about the Jewel are the buffet area and the Great Outdoors.

The Great Outdoors is my favorite area of the ship. That being said, we just sailed the Dawn in January and will get back on in November. Apparently it's not a deal breaker...:)

But I love heading to the Great Outdoors for breakfast and again late night with desert and coffee.

Hi

We’re looking to book an NCL Panama cruise in April 2013. Possibilities are Jewel out of New York and the Sun out of Miami.

I’m wondering if the Nickleodeon theme is on all Jewel cruises?

Is it ever present (ie dining rooms, on deck, etc.) or is it just reserved to the kids areas?

I would avoid any cruise where Sponge Bob was hovering over us all the time.

Hi

We’re looking to book an NCL Panama cruise in April 2013. Possibilities are Jewel out of New York and the Sun out of Miami.

I’m wondering if the Nickleodeon theme is on all Jewel cruises?

Is it ever present (ie dining rooms, on deck, etc.) or is it just reserved to the kids areas?

I would avoid any cruise where Sponge Bob was hovering over us all the time.

Right now Nick is on Jewel Gem and Epic and as I understand it you really have to go looking for it. It's not in your face all over the ship.

I'll be on Jewel in 2.5 week and will write an extensive review w/ pics upon my return

We have sailed on and enjoyed both ships numerous times. They both have features we liked. The Jewel has two large outdoor pools and the Great Outdoors dining area. The Dawn has only one large outdoor pool but it has a small indoor pool in the health spa which is ideal on cool cruises to Canada/ New England. We also like the soaring atrium on the Dawn with the glass elevators which are missing on the Jewel class ships where the atrium ends above deck 8.

Archived