Lifeboats - enough to hold everyone DAWN

dishealth11

actually there is room for more than everyone. With the rubber survival boats it probably can hold more than twice full capacity...These are the result of the Titanic not being able to get everyone on board. The rules now require extra capacity...

Thanks for answering. I see the lifeboats on the side of the ship but they didn't seem to be sufficient enough for 2500+ people.

actually there is room for more than everyone. With the rubber survival boats it probably can hold more than twice full capacity...These are the result of the Titanic not being able to get everyone on board. The rules now require extra capacity...

I'm pretty sure the lifeboats only hold about 1,100 passengers....especially on the Dawn.;) ;)

The other passengers can use their seat cushion from their chairs in their cabin. :eek:

each one of the life boats holds 200-250 people. Yes its tight. The capacity is written on the side of every lifeboat. When you to your muster station you are taken to a place where you boat(its a boat not the ship) number is. There is more than enough room on the actual lifeboats for all the the passengers even when every room is filled to capacity.

This is absolutely true, although often used as an unfair criticism of the Titanic.

The Titanic was equipped with more lifeboats than regulations then required. The reason that the regulations changed was because that accident caused a fundamental shift in the philosophy behind lifeboat provision. We are now used to the idea that enough boats should be carried so that everyone can be evacuated onto the lifeboats, allowing the ship to sink without leaving anyone on board. But in the Titanic's time, lifeboats were considered to be the means of ferrying people from the casualty to other ships that came to the rescue, going backwards and forwards until everyone had been evacuated from the casualty. What the Titanic accident showed was that in an age of substantially larger ships, that philosophy was no longer adequate.

Hence the modern approach, as a result of which we are all safer.

Mind you, it sounds like the Dawn's situation was pretty typical of incidents in which outside windows have been broken by large waves - a million miles away from any possibility of having to use the lifeboats.

In fact the Titanic was built with enough davits for more life boats- enough for everyone but the owners decided just to follow the regs and not add the number of lifeboats that would have been required for everyone....and no one sued as far as I know :)

I'm pretty sure the lifeboats only hold about 1,100 passengers....especially on the Dawn.;) ;)

The other passengers can use their seat cushion from their chairs in their cabin. :eek:

either that or you can push all the kids and ol ladies out of the way:eek:

In addition to the lifeboats you see, there are bunches of inflatable life rafts (big, steady ones). I'm always impressed with how vigilant NCL is with the lifeboats. Lost a bunch of time in St. Thomas once as my husband was way too fascinated with the life boat drill to leave our balcony and go ashore. We even have about 20 minutes of the drill on our video of that trip.... He is now on video camera restriction. :D On the Dream we once had an obstructed view stateroom, with the obstruction being a life boat. EVERY DAY we saw a crew member completely wash the lifeboat and replace the drinking water.

Very often during muster, we have not been assigned to a lifeboat station but to a lounge or theatre.

I always wondered about that.

No boat for you :eek: Some passengers are selected to go down with the ship. You must just be one of those lucky people :D :D

I would hope there was an open bar.;)

That's why you were selected. Seems to me on all but one cruise on the Dawn I also was selected. Perhaps NCL does not want to have a class action filed for allowing those that had to much to drink use the lifeboats putting all the farleys at risk. :D :rolleyes:

There is more than enough room for everyone, it is the law in every country I know about (I do know the regulations for all countries but believe me the cruiselines don't want that lawsuit).

As for bathrooms, your shorts will be good enough. No open bar but grab some as you exit the ship.

I saw something on the travel channel a while back that the liferafts are for the crew and you slide down an inflatable slide, like on airplanes, to get to them, this was an RCI ship but it is probably standard fare. Beleive me those slides are darn scary! You have to cross your arms and jump, it is not like a playground slide. I was terrified when I had to evacuate a plane once.

Nope, no open bar. All the bartenders will be in their assigned lifeboats! :p

Oh no! Now it is all starting to make sense.

Have you ever seen people walk into the lounge carrying their life jackets? Or with the straps hanging? And nobody says anything to them?

Even though I have mine on,someone always comes over to me and makes sure mine is on properly and the straps are securely fastened:eek:

And why did everybody get a bright yellow sticker on their latitudes card at the party and I got one with a skull and crossbones:confused:

Nope, no open bar. All the bartenders will be in their assigned lifeboats! :p

Do you know which lifeboats have bars and assigned bartenders? Do you still have to use your sail and sign card or is it open bar because of the problems the NCL must have known about. Is there anyway you can select to be on one of boats with a bar :D

Archived