Green flies?

cntrydncr1

I'm starting to plan a cruise next summer to Alaska and someone mentioned to me that there is a time when green flies are bad there. :eek: Does anyone know anything about this? I know that mosquitos are very bad in the summer but I've not heard before about green flies.

They're black flies, not green ones. The bad time varies a lot by the specific area - many locations don't have them at all. Late July and August is a generalization, but not something you can make plans around.

Murray

I'm starting to plan a cruise next summer to Alaska and someone mentioned to me that there is a time when green flies are bad there. :eek: Does anyone know anything about this? I know that mosquitos are very bad in the summer but I've not heard before about green flies.

They might be talking about the gross green "sticky bugs" that come out in the early summer when the buds are on the trees. They are little and harmless and usually only last a few weeks when the buds are fresh. They just "stick" to your clothes and you have to flick em' off YUK but they ain't that bad.

Black flies in Maine come out in late May and Early June and are just horrible..........are they the same in Alaska, but show up in July or August? Any thing we need bug spray for in Late May, Early June??? Don't want to bring it if we don't have to......Thanks,

Archived