Easter weekend.

Hi guys, whilst researching info, I came across something that stupidly I had not thought about. We will be in Rome Good Friday. Now I believe the Pope leads a torch lit procession on Good Friday and whilst we will probably be back on the ship before he does me thinks Rome is going to be a tad busy! Does anyone have any experience of Easter weekend in Rome and what we may expect? We'll also be in Florence/Pisa on the Saturday 7th April, Toulon Sunday 8th and Barcelona Easter Monday. Is it going to be mayhem in these cities? I'm sure I read Barcelona has a bit of do on Easter Monday. Would we be better doing an organised excursion with the ship rather that doing our own thing?

:D Thanks

Easter Monday is a normal working day in Spain - the Spanish have Maundy Thursday as a holiday instead. Therefore the thousands of Spanish/Catalan visitors who will be in Barcelona from Thursday to Sunday will have left.

Barcelona is so pedestrian/´do it yourself´ friendly that it would be a shame to book an organised excursion.

Hi guys, whilst researching info, I came across something that stupidly I had not thought about. We will be in Rome Good Friday. Now I believe the Pope leads a torch lit procession on Good Friday and whilst we will probably be back on the ship before he does me thinks Rome is going to be a tad busy! Does anyone have any experience of Easter weekend in Rome and what we may expect? We'll also be in Florence/Pisa on the Saturday 7th April, Toulon Sunday 8th and Barcelona Easter Monday. Is it going to be mayhem in these cities? I'm sure I read Barcelona has a bit of do on Easter Monday. Would we be better doing an organised excursion with the ship rather that doing our own thing?

:D Thanks

I think the Vatican will be a nightmare.:( We were there on a Sunday once, and since then I always check to make sure we don't do it again. Also you won't be able to go into St Peters, so probably you would be best to do the other sights and save this for another time.

Nice web site >>>> Easter in Italy <<<<

As for sightseeing, many attractions are closed on Easter Sunday (some are also closed on Good Friday), and then many attractions are closed on Mondays in general. This can be problematic if you’ve only arrived in a city on the Saturday before Easter and had planned to leave on Tuesday, since there may be some attractions that are closed for most of the time you’re visiting. If this sounds like your itinerary, I strongly suggest you look up the big attractions you’ve got on your agenda to make sure they won’t be closed the whole time you’re in town.

While some restaurants and shops (especially smaller ones) will be closed for part of Easter weekend, not everything is shuttered. You won’t go hungry, for instance. Restaurants attached to big, chain hotels are usually reliable when it comes to being open on holidays. If you’re in a smaller town, on the other hand, you’ll probably need to plan ahead – ask someone at your hotel what stays open over the weekend, preferably before the weekend starts so you’ve got time to pick up picnic supplies before things close if you need to.

Thanks for all your replies.

Newmills. On some sites I've looked at it states that Monday is a public holiday but as we'll be walking off ship into Barcelona and as I've checked the web sites of the places we want to visit (re opening hours) I don't think it'll be a problem if it is.

Happy v. As you suggest I think we'll stay clear of the Vatican and do it another day. I'll have to make sure I throw a coin into the Trevi fountain.

Cruisin Linda. Don't think we'll have time to have a look at Civitavecchia except the railway station but some of our party have been to Rome before so they may have a snoop around.

Rebel Rouser. Thanks, great site. I'd already made my mind up that we couldn't do the Vatican and some of the city in one day so we've decided to do a bit of the city and come back one day to do a bit more.

I think the Vatican will be a nightmare.:( We were there on a Sunday once, and since then I always check to make sure we don't do it again. Also you won't be able to go into St Peters, so probably you would be best to do the other sights and save this for another time.

On a positive note some areas may be relatively tourist free as the crowds pack into St Peters.

Sweby

Archived