Transferring a booked cruise to a TA

Hey Gang,

We booked our November cruise on line at the RCI site and I would like to transfer it to a TA friend of ours. I don't know if there is any benefit for him to have it under his name.

I know I only have 60 days from booking date to transfer it to the TA and I have to get a form completed.

My questions are:

1) Will I still be able to complete the online check in, reserve entertainment and dining options, and get my cruise documents via the RCI website myself? Or will the TA have to complete that info for us?

2) When do they usually open the pre cruise planner for the reservations?

Thanks for any input.

The main advantage for transferring to your TA is what does your TA have to offer? OBC? Prepaid tips, etc...

As far as completing on-line check in and purchasing things (beverage packages, excursions), yep, that's a definite. Done it many times. My TA sends us our e-docs, but usually by the time we got those, we've completed our on-line check in and printed the set sail pass and such.

Erika

Hi Erika,

Thanks for the info. I doubt the TA will get any commission from our cruise booking, but we will purchase our travel insurance through him (I think they make good money from that).

The advantage to us is we can redeem our grocery store points for $250 travel gift certificates for use at his agency. AND we get points for every dollar we spend through the agency.

We figured the gift certificate is a better choice than a new blender.

Well, given what you say, then it makes even more sense to transfer your booking. And if you have a good TA, then I would definitely do it. RCI generally is more than happy for you to deal with a TA more then them anyways.

Erika

Why would you think the TA would not make any commission? Each agency has an agreement with the cruise lines that pay them commission on all bookings.

It sounds like there is a definite advantage to you moving your booking. And you will definitely be able to do the dining, on line check in and reservations on line.

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the confirmation that I will still be able to do the on bookings after the transfer to the TA.

I had asked my TA friend a couple of times if there is any financial benefit for me to transfer the booking to him. He was very evasive about it and never really answered my question. Hence my uncertainty regarding TA compensation.

Archived