Dog Sledding - anyone done this recently???

grumpyfan

Three of us are doing a cruise in May 13-20, 2013. Seward is not one of our stops.

My friend really wants to do the dog-sledding. She used to have a Samoyed and would love to see a "working" Samoyed.

Thanks!

There are no working "samoyeds" Alaska sled dogs are darn ugly and don't expect much in the way of grooming.

We have booked a cruise in August, and our cruiseline offers 2 helicopter/dogsled tours- one on Mendenhall glacier and the other on Norris glacier. Any advice on which to choose?

The difference is two different companies. Is there a reason, you are looking to book through the cruiseline?

You would have three options booking independent out of Juneau, with likely cost savings.

I think some clarification needs to said about "dog sledding". I have 40 dogs, my team just finished the Yukon Quest and I know all of the operators on land and the glaciers. Mushing is a very small community and we all know each other.....You do not "dog sled" on land....They are dog carts that carry several people at once...On all 4 wheels.....The only place you can dog sled on a "real" sled is on one of the glacier operations...They are in Juneau...There are 2. Personally, I prefer Coastal but that is where I chose for some of my dogs spend their summer vacation. They are honest, reliable and everyone one of their mushers have finished either Iditarod, The Yukon Quest or both....and the owner of Blue Kennels/Sab Schnuelle who is with Coastal won the Quest....in 2009....The glacier is a very special place...and I think that the helicopter flight is amazing....You sorta get a scenic view/flight on the way up too. It is enormously expensive to run a glacier operation. The Parks people have a gazillion rules and regs....as well as they should as it is pristine up there. EVERYTHING that is brought up....has to be helicoptered out....Tents, dog houses, equipment, people, garbage, dog food, Dog feces....a gum wrapper that was carelessly dropped....To see a glacier is one thing, to be on top of it is a totally different thing....It is expensive, but I think it is worth. I know that my dogs love their vacation....

Enjoyed reading your post! I am so looking forward to doing this excursion. You made me smile when you ended with "...my dogs love their vacation..."! It will be nice to share some of their vacation time with them.:)

Thanks for posting!

Archived