Synagogue Fee? & Cathedral

holdon216

I wasn't aware of an entrance fee...

You can find most information on the synagogue on their website:

http://www.snoa.com/snoa.html

I couldn't find entrance info, maybe you can send them an e-mail.

From the pier to the cathedral is quite a walk. It is certainly doable if you're fit and walk in the shade. It should take about 30--45 minutes.

The $10 fee lets you in to see the synagogue, gets you a detailed brochure, lets you into the museum, the tiny gift shop and to even photograph the reproductions of the ornate tombstones on display. We felt it was worth it to support the museum and upkeep. We aren't Jewish, but like to see unusual small museums. You enter a marble (?) floored courtyard and all of these things are off of it. The staff at the desk was helpful and pointed us in the right direction for the next things we were heading towards.

You do not mention the day of the week you are here, because on Sundays we are closed and on Saturday morning, the Synagogue is only open for services at 10:00. Pictures are not allowed to be taken on Shabbat. The Synagogue, Museum and Giftshop (on the premises) are open for visitors from Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. There is an admission/maintenance charge for US$ 10:00 per person. We wish you a nice stay in Curacao

Last Spring we were in Willemstad on a Sunday and the synangogue was closed but never managed to go back during our one week stay. I had been there 20 years ago when it used to be free but I do see the necessity of charging a fee for the upkeep. We even stopped by the cemetery which was near the western end of the oil refinery and it was a shame that the place was in such a sad state of disrepair.

Historically, if I recall, the synagogue is the oldest continuously operating facility in the western hemisphere. There is sand on the ground of the synagogue.

Archived