West Palm Beach airport

tyson

I am trying to find decent airfare to Miami for our July 2 cruise on the Navigator. (I'm starting to kick myself for not getting tickets earlier, but I had no idea the prices would just keep going up!!) We have previously flown into Miami and Fort Lauderdale but never into West Palm Beach. Is it a large airport? How much would it cost to get from the airport to the pier? How long is the trip from the airport to the pier? I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks!

I am trying to find decent airfare to Miami for our July 2 cruise on the Navigator. (I'm starting to kick myself for not getting tickets earlier, but I had no idea the prices would just keep going up!!) We have previously flown into Miami and Fort Lauderdale but never into West Palm Beach. Is it a large airport? How much would it cost to get from the airport to the pier? How long is the trip from the airport to the pier? I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks!

I can't tell you much about the airport or how to get to Miami, but Palm Beach is a hefty drive even using either the FLA turnpike or I95. It's a good hour drive even if you don't hit construction or traffic. It would have to be substantially cheaper for me to use it as an alternative and it would certainly have to be at least the day prior to the cruise.

We live in the town just south of WPB. The drive from PBIA to the port of Miami is closer to 2 hours. Even if airfare is less to WPB, you have to consider the cost of renting a car and the inconvenience of driving to Miami. I wouldn't even consider flying into WPB.

We live in the town just south of WPB. The drive from PBIA to the port of Miami is closer to 2 hours. Even if airfare is less to WPB, you have to consider the cost of renting a car and the inconvenience of driving to Miami. I wouldn't even consider flying into WPB.

I don't know how you get to Miami, but it only takes me an hour to get from WPB to Miami, via 95. I live close to the airport, and LW is not that far from it either.

I am taking a limo from here to the port, and it is costing me $150.00 + a 20% tip to get there, with one pick-up on the way there. If you factor that into the cost, then I would look to fly into MIA/FLL, because the cost are probably less, or parallel, but if you were to fly out of WPB, then you would spend more to get back here for a returning flight.....hope that made sense...Oh, and yes, PBIA is a big airport...all the rich fly in here, for Palm Beach....

It is a beautiful, easy to navigate airport. Will you be renting a car or looking for transportation? Does Tri-rail run down to Miami?

Linda/Ohio

Yes, it does...didn't think of that, but not sure how easy it would be to connect to the port...maybe not that bad, but with luggage, might be a pain.....

We love the West Palm Beach airport. Small enough to navigate and large enough that most airlines fly the full size jets in and out rather than the tiny Barbie Dream Jets (AKA regional jets).

2 hours to get to Miami for West Palm Beach airport? Only if your driving 45 mph. We drove from Palm Beach Shores to MIA in a little over an hour taking the turnpike. We had spent the week in Palm Beach Shores and then dropped the rental car off in MIA. From there we took a cab to the pier.

Maybe I can offer some insight to PBI since I only live about 10 miles from the airport and travel to port frequently.

It takes us approximately one hour and twenty minutes to go from north end of PB county to the port of Miami. This is taking the turnpike south. Now keep in mind a few things that can delay time. I95 is undergoing a major remodeling (I call it that because all kinds of new lanes and interchanges are being added). The turnpike is also having some construction issues but not as bad as I95. This will definately affect driving time. If you are traveling during rush hour be prepared for a long drive. It took my DH over an hour to get home the other day (10 miles) due to rush hour, construction and small fender bender that blocked traffic.

The option that was mentioned about Tri-Rail.....I looked into this a few years ago and decided against it. Yes it is cheap. But they run on special hours on the weekend. And they too have been closing part of tracks for repair during the weekend (low ridership). This means you would go so far, exit train, get on a bus to next available Tri-Rail stop, get off bus, get on train etc. All of this while handling your own luggage. Doesn't sound like this would be a fun start to vacation.

With all that, I would still fly into PBI. Airport is smaller than FLL and MIA so getting around is easy. As for transfers...it will depend on how many are in your group. Renting a car/van is easy and probably the cheapest alternative. We have started using Captains Airport and Seaport Service. I can't remember $$ to Miami, but last time it cost us $95 to Fort Lauderdale. That was in a town car that easily could hold four. Now if you have a bigger group, just call them as they have 7 passenger deluxe vans that would take you for same price as town car. We used them before and van was very comfortable. I do have to say to date we have had excellent service from them (don't want to jinx Sat trip). We were in LV last year when Hurricaine Jeane hit our area. We were going crazy trying to get info. Captain's called us and told us what was going on, airport closing etc. It you want to see what they can do for you call 561-798-2180.

As for airfare, being a smaller airport you cannot always get connections or specific airline into area. But try this site http://www.kayak.com We have recently started using them to follow airfares. Example....PBI to LAS I watched this for about a month and was able to jump on roundtrip airfare for $238 pp. It is not a booking engine, but a search engine and will tell you prices, flight times and who is selling it for selected price.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Chris

• 3 months later...

I'm being the curmudgeon here, but I just don't know why anyone would fly into West Palm Beach (PBIA) Airport to take a Miami cruise. It doesn't seem that with the extra cost of transport to the port from WPB, you will save that much money and you surely will not save much time.

I too live in Palm Beach County. From my house to Miami, it takes a little over an hour to the Port of Miami, but that is if you are lucky and have no traffic tie ups or construction hassles. Rush hour can be a straight up bear, no kidding.

I wouldn't attempt Tri-Rail either, for the reasons given above...too many steps involved while dragging luggage, etc.

The only way I would fly into PBI is to have made arrangements for a van or limo to meet me and take me right to the port, but what are you saving in money then?

For me, a vacation is supposed to be a vacation. If there are lots of unknowns and hassles and worries and what ifs, etc., the vacation is no longer fun and just becomes too stressful.

Fort Myers would be close to 3 hours to the Port of Miami depending on traffic. It's a nice airport, but unless you're spending time on the FL west coast before your cruise why fly in there? :confused:

If you're flying into West Palm Beach rent a car, or as the above poster said, arrange for a van or limo service. AND DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT FLYING IN ON THE DAY OF YOUR CRUISE!

I agree with HeavySurf, PBI isn't worth the hassle just to save a few dollars, and RSW makes no sense at all, it's WAY too far away.

Maybe I can offer some insight to PBI since I only live about 10 miles from the airport and travel to port frequently. Chris

Pedirn is right on the money - stick with all the advice he/she has given. The previous poster who said an hour to Miami must have been going about 90mph and as someone else said the two hour trip must have been at 45 mph. And the great unknown of traffic is the major factor anyhow. Personally although PBI is a more convenient airport to navigate, FLL really isn't bad. If you're any kind of traveller at all, it's pretty user friendly. Miami airport is another story - at least I find it confusing especially for parking and then finding your terminal. It is odd that you are seeing such a saving through PBI versus FLL - usually it is the opposite, and you're about 45 minutes closer to the port in FLL. Definitely stay away from Tri-Rail. It is do-able, but unless you're on a very strict budget, (and even then! ) don't attempt it for all the reasons given by many people. Happy trails. I'll have to check out that "kayak" site Pedirn, sounds interesting.

Fort Myers would be close to 3 hours to the Port of Miami depending on traffic. It's a nice airport, but unless you're spending time on the FL west coast before your cruise why fly in there? :confused:

If you're flying into West Palm Beach rent a car, or as the above poster said, arrange for a van or limo service. AND DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT FLYING IN ON THE DAY OF YOUR CRUISE!

I agree with HeavySurf, PBI isn't worth the hassle just to save a few dollars, and RSW makes no sense at all, it's WAY too far away.

Getting free airfare from halfway across the country sounds like a good enough reason to me to drive for 3 hours. What's the issue with driving from Ft Myers other than it being "close to 3 hours" which does not seem like an issue to me?

Getting free airfare from halfway across the country sounds like a good enough reason to me to drive for 3 hours. What's the issue with driving from Ft Myers other than it being "close to 3 hours" which does not seem like an issue to me?

Well you didn't SAY you were getting free airfare to RSW... There's nothing wrong with Ft. Myers, just the long boring drive across Alligator Alley. Can't you get the free air to MIA or FLL?

Well you didn't SAY you were getting free airfare to RSW... There's nothing wrong with Ft. Myers, just the long boring drive across Alligator Alley. Can't you get the free air to MIA or FLL?

Unfortunately, no! Glad to hear Ft. Myers is at least a nice airport! Any tips for the long drive?

Just bring some good CD's and make sure you have plenty of gas before you pass through the Alligator Alley toll booth... The 90 mile drive across Alligator Alley from Naples to Weston is nasty and seems to take a lot longer than it should. You've seen 10 feet of that swamp and you've seen it all.

Archived