Disembark Rio de Janeiro, best way to get to Airport

Relaxing Rita

We are booked on the Marina - Rome to Rio cruise - 22 Nov - 10 Dec this year.

We will be leaving the ship after having one night on board in Rio.

Questions:

What is the best way to get to the airport safely? There are lots of reports of over priced taxi rides for the tourists!

Is a 10:30am flight to Buenos Aires a bit ambitious or is it best to take an afternoon flight? I have seen reports of waiting 4 hours at the airport to get through customs etc...

Any other info re Rio disemarkation very welcome.

First of all, based on my experience 5 years ago, 10:30 AM from Rio could be impossible. We spent 4 hours in various lines (check-in, security) and almost didn't make our flight -- we finally arrived at the gate after boarding had started.

BUT -- most flights from Rio back to the states take off in the evening -- ours was 8:15 PM -- therefore, the late afternoon/evening might be VERY crowded compared to the rest of the day. And, as tropicalkerry said, it's very possible they have made the process more efficient. As you are not flying back to the states, and mnti0on a morning flight to Buenos Aires, your situation may be quite a bit diffeerent than most on this board.

As for getting to the airport, Oceania offered two possibilities -- direct transfer to the airport, and an all-day tour (at additional cost) with luggage stored in the belly of the bus for those with evening flights (the great majority). We took that option and it worked out well. Normally, Oceania transfers can be more expensive than arranging local transport, but if you are skeptical of the local taxis and want assurance, that may be the best choice. On our cruise, if you had not already booked transportation to the airport, they offered that choice on board.

Of course, if your primary concern about the local taxis is cost, they may still be less expensive than Oceania's transfer even if they overcharge you...;)

We are booked on the Marina - Rome to Rio cruise - 22 Nov - 10 Dec this year.

We will be leaving the ship after having one night on board in Rio.

Questions:

What is the best way to get to the airport safely? There are lots of reports of over priced taxi rides for the tourists!

Is a 10:30am flight to Buenos Aires a bit ambitious or is it best to take an afternoon flight? I have seen reports of waiting 4 hours at the airport to get through customs etc...

Any other info re Rio disemarkation very welcome.

Rita,

Come join our Roll Call for this cruise. :)

We're taking O's transfer to the airport and O's air, too. If anything goes wrong, I don't intend to worry after having had such a great cruise! (Let O do the worrying...that's my motto for this one.)

Archived