HAL cruisetour 6/10-6/19

Gymjenn14

so here is what i have come up with so far. please provide thoughts and input.traveling will be me - age 33,my significant other-32, and my daughter-7.we enjoy hiking and national parks and would like to steer clear of the large cruise groups and really enjoy the nature of Alaska

depart Vancouver on june 9th.

inside passage at sea

arrive in ketchikan on 6/12 (9-3) thinking of just going at it on our own with some hiking or doing a float trip to misty fjords.

[/url]

juneau on 6/13 (7am-10:30pm) thinking of doing a whale watching trip with orca and then Mt.Roberts Tramway and Mendenhall. (could try to add dogsled here instead of skagway, but dont really want to miss hiking at mendenhall)

Skagway on 6/14 (7am-9pm) glacier dog sledding with Alaska Icefield Expeditions and TEMSCO. not sure what else to do here, another reason for putting dogsled tour here instead of Juneau.could add a trip to Haines.

Glaicer Bay http://www.nps.gov/glba/index.htm

Gulf of alaska

Seward to Denali on 6/17. Short time in Denali so not to many options - 4x4 tour(drive our own jeep on back trails), rafting trip (mild due to daughter's age) or visitor's center and explore on our own. only there for about 24 hours total including over night.

Train back to Anchorage

big questions regarding adding haines, misty fordj, and what to do in Denali.

Why are you going to Denali? Why don't you just stay for a couple of days in Seward, instead of traveling those long distances for nothing. Your time off the ship is very short. You could find lots to keep a 7 year old's interest in Seward for a couple of days.

Why are you going to Denali? Why don't you just stay for a couple of days in Seward, instead of traveling those long distances for nothing. Your time off the ship is very short. You could find lots to keep a 7 year old's interest in Seward for a couple of days.

You are kidding of course? GOing to Denali for nothing?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree that Seward offers much for a seven year old.

Kids that age love the SeaLife Center in Seward. Try to do a behind the scenes tour.

Exit Glacier is wonderful for kids. The hiking trails near the Visitor's Center are perfect for a kid that age. And you can literally walk up to a glacier!

While there are other companies who also do Kenai Fjords Tours, we have done two day cruises on Major Marine. Both were excellent. Major Marine has a partnership with the National Park Service and so both times we had a NPS ranger on board, and both times they had kids programs. Both trips the kids were fascinated and had great fun.

I too agree, this is a poor plan, with the Denali inclusion. By far, Seward offers much more variety and excellent touring. Adding the Alaska RR, is another great transit, and the most scenic portion of the Alaska RR.

With being so short on time, a reality check may be needed about the transit times.

Juneau- you mention hiking Mendenhall. Where??? IF from the visitor center- then get a drop off/pick up with Orca Enterprises. IF the west side take a cab direct to/from Auke Bay. IF glacier dog sledding is a priority, then I suggest you book it in Juneau. It is the most canceled Alaska excursion. IF you then get canceled, you are going to be right on the phone to TEMSCO and booking for your next day out of Skagway. Have you looked at a Skagway shore excursion list, and getting into the Yukon, White Pass RR, self drive etc etc is of no interest? With the priority of hiking- consider Upper Dewey Lake, accessed between 3-4 th off Spring, cross the tracks.

Haines is a great option- do you know what you are going to do there?? what are your interests?

okay, the denali inclusion is part of the cruise tour. not our choice now that we have booked but we were given a very specific depart date and we had to leave out of Canada due to my boyfriends work schedule. He works in the middle east and was only able to secure vacation dates last week and only for 6/9-6/20 so we were limited and had to book what worked with those dates and location. therefor the stops are set by the cruise line(HAL). however, i greatly appreciate the input, and may try to see if we can cancel the land portion now that i have done more research but i am not sure.

I had considered moving the dog sledding (a big deal to my daughter although i haven't told her it is booked due to the likelihood of it being canceled) so we could move it to skagway if needed. if it is canceled in Juneau i am sure we can find some thing to do instead but if not then suggestions for skagway would be appreciated. also i was thinking the Mt. Roberts Tram up Mendehall and then hiking up there.

okay, the denali inclusion is part of the cruise tour. not our choice now that we have booked but we were given a very specific depart date and we had to leave out of Canada due to my boyfriends work schedule. He works in the middle east and was only able to secure vacation dates last week and only for 6/9-6/20 so we were limited and had to book what worked with those dates and location. therefor the stops are set by the cruise line(HAL). however, i greatly appreciate the input, and may try to see if we can cancel the land portion now that i have done more research but i am not sure.

I had considered moving the dog sledding (a big deal to my daughter although i haven't told her it is booked due to the likelihood of it being canceled) so we could move it to skagway if needed. if it is canceled in Juneau i am sure we can find some thing to do instead but if not then suggestions for skagway would be appreciated. also i was thinking the Mt. Roberts Tram up Mendehall and then hiking up there.

the land portions can be canceled. If you consider it, and have a balcony. HAL, has, in the past not sold balconies without cruisetours.

Spending your time in Seward- is a far better plan. If you take a Kenai Fjords boat tour, it is loaded with varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing. But, you need to look at trips of at least 6 hours on the water.

Archived