One way cruise - Anchorage to Vancouver (from LA) HELP!

blueslily

Hi all,

Well, I'm still trying to figure out the best option for my (hopefully) cruise to Alaska.

Royal Caribbean and Princess have both dropped prices for Alaska cruises, so I am feeling more hopeful, but the airfare is now the big challenge. Oh, to clarify, I am traveling solo on this cruise so the cruise fare price drop is a huge deal to me. Plus, RCI is offering a great single supplement. Princess is NOT!

So, I'm in Los Angeles. The cruise departs Anchorage (Seward) and ends in Vancouver.

Has anyone done this out of LA before? What was the most cost effective way to handle this?

I read that some people fly to Seattle and take a train to Vancouver. I can try that for returning after the cruise. But, how can I get from Seattle to Anchorage? And, what's the train?

Thanks!

Go to a site like Expedia and plug in your dates etc. If you do a multi city search you may get better prices==LAX to ANC then Vancouver to LAX.

I'm seeing about $380 for this itinerary on Alaska Airlines: I guessed at dates.

Tue 5-Jun-12

Los Angeles (LAX)

Depart 10:40 am

Terminal 6

to Anchorage (ANC)

Arrive 3:00 pm

Terminal S

2,343 mi

(3,771 km)

Duration: 5hr 20mn

Flight: 149

Economy/Coach Class , Food For Purchase, BOEING 737-800 (WINGLETS) PASSENGER

Total distance: 2,343 mi (3,771 km)

Total duration: 5hr 20mn

Tue 12-Jun-12

Vancouver (YVR)

Depart 1:10 pm

Terminal M

to Los Angeles (LAX)

Arrive 4:03 pm

Terminal 6

1,081 mi

(1,740 km)

Duration: 2hr 53mn

Flight: 704

Economy/Coach Class , Food For Purchase, Boeing 737-400

Total distance: 1,081 mi (1,740 km)

Total duration: 2hr 53mn

Hi all,

Well, I'm still trying to figure out the best option for my (hopefully) cruise to Alaska.

Royal Caribbean and Princess have both dropped prices for Alaska cruises, so I am feeling more hopeful, but the airfare is now the big challenge. Oh, to clarify, I am traveling solo on this cruise so the cruise fare price drop is a huge deal to me. Plus, RCI is offering a great single supplement. Princess is NOT!

So, I'm in Los Angeles. The cruise departs Anchorage (Seward) and ends in Vancouver.

Has anyone done this out of LA before? What was the most cost effective way to handle this?

I read that some people fly to Seattle and take a train to Vancouver. I can try that for returning after the cruise. But, how can I get from Seattle to Anchorage? And, what's the train?

Thanks!

These are often called "open jaw" airline tickets - a "V"-shaped itinerary, in your case LA to Anchorage, Vancouver to LA. This one technically isn't that because the "open jaw" portion (Anchorage - Vancouver) is longer than the Vancouver - LA leg, but never mind.

Go to Alaska Airlines - http://www.alaskaair.com - and you can buy two one-way tickets, and the price will be, basically, 1/2 of the round trip fare from LA to Anchorage and 1/2 the round trip fare from Vancouver back to LA. Use the "multi-flight" option.

You should also experiment and see what the price would be returning from Seattle to LA rather than Vancouver. Often airfares out of Seattle are cheaper than out of Vancouver, sometime by big enough difference that you can travel (on land) from Vancouver down to Seattle and still save money overall. One popular way of doing this is by the train that leaves from Vancouver and goes to Seattle. The difficulty is that with one person the cost of taxis from the pier to the Vancouver station, then from the Seattle station to the airport, can erase the price difference. There are other approaches one can take, for example there's a bus that runs from the Vancouver cruise docks to the Seattle airport, or one could rent a one-way rental car. It all depends on how eager you are to save the money, vs. the hassle. Again, some experimenting is easy - check train fares and times, check airline prices, etc. (The train is at http://www.amtrakcascades.com .)

But it's not very hard, and easily accomplished by thousands of people every year.

Edited to add: I see Alaskanb has beat me to the punch on the airfare question.

Since we live in the middle of Alaska we fly to every cruise we take. I always work the airfare from as many "angles" as I can.

Once you have a cruise booked, consider calling the cruise line air department for a price quote. I have had success with one-way air bought from a cruise line when we have done either transatlantic or transpacific cruises. While I never had found great prices on domestic air from a cruise line, you never know unless you check.

We're doing about the same itinerary this year, only from SFO rather from LAX. If you can find a direct flight from LAX, it might be less expensive than one like we're doing (a 4-hour layover in Seattle).

We have found that the least expensive (and easiest) option to get home is to take the bus to the Seattle airport (here's the Quick Shuttle link). There will be a bus waiting inside Canada Place when your ship arrives, and it will get you to the Seattle airport a few hours later.

We are taking Amtrak this year. There are two trains daily, one early morning and one leaving around 6:00 p.m. Either would require an overnight in Vancouver or in Seattle. Amtrak does offer bus service to the train station in Seattle, however, so you could also look into that to compare prices. You can catch the Seattle light rail about a block from the train station, and there's a stop right at the airport.

Good luck with your planning.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Fly Jet Blue from Long Beach to Anchorage for $149. I wouldn't wait too long to make reservations though. The flights dropped about 2 weeks ago so probably will be going back up soon.

Fly Jet Blue from Long Beach to Anchorage for $149. I wouldn't wait too long to make reservations though. The flights dropped about 2 weeks ago so probably will be going back up soon.
It looks like this will be a new itinerary for JetBlue (begins 5/24/12), so that's probably why the incredible pricing. We can't fly to Anchorage on JetBlue from the Bay Area. :(

It looks like this will be a new itinerary for JetBlue (begins 5/24/12), so that's probably why the incredible pricing. We can't fly to Anchorage on JetBlue from the Bay Area. :(

Bummer. We are flying JetBlue from Austin to Anchorage on July 5 for $278 per person. We have a lay over in Long Beach, which is why I knew about that flight. I love flying JetBlue!

Hmm...I can't seem to find those reasonable prices others are suggesting. Just to to from LAX to Anchorage is nearly $400 for just that leg of the trip.

Try at Alaska Airlines. Use multicity. Again I guessed at dates. You need to keep going when you do the search to get the final cost.

Flights

REMOVE FLIGHTSCHANGE FLIGHTS

Flight Departs Arrives

Alaska Airlines 149

Coach | Nonstop | Details

Los Angeles (LAX)

10:40 am Tue, Jun 5 Anchorage (ANC)

3:00 pm Tue, Jun 5

Total: 2,342 mi | 5 h 20 m

Alaska Airlines 704

Vancouver (YVR)

1:10 pm Tue, Jun 19 Los Angeles (LAX)

4:03 pm Tue, Jun 19

Total: 1,081 mi | 2 h 53 m

Flight available for Guest upgrade.

Total Price for 1 Traveler

$375.82 including taxes & fees

Price Breakdown

Low Price Guarantee

Shop again using your Discount Code.

Try at Alaska Airlines. Use multicity. Again I guessed at dates. You need to keep going when you do the search to get the final cost.

Flights

REMOVE FLIGHTSCHANGE FLIGHTS

Flight Departs Arrives

Alaska Airlines 149

Los Angeles (LAX)

10:40 am Tue, Jun 5 Anchorage (ANC)

3:00 pm Tue, Jun 5

Total: 2,342 mi | 5 h 20 m

Alaska Airlines 704

Vancouver (YVR)

1:10 pm Tue, Jun 19 Los Angeles (LAX)

4:03 pm Tue, Jun 19

Total: 1,081 mi | 2 h 53 m

Flight available for Guest upgrade.

Total Price for 1 Traveler

$375.82 including taxes & fees

Price Breakdown

Low Price Guarantee

Shop again using your Discount Code.

Thanks! My total was double what you found. I'm using weekend dates. But, I will keep trying. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I'm flying LAX to ANC / SEA to LAX because it was a lot cheaper to fly out of Seattle than Vancouver. Princess has a transfer for $49 and I'd think RCI would have one too, but if not there is Quick Shuttle as someone else mentioned.

What dates are you needing and then we could all help you.

Thanks!

This is a last minute booking. Ship (RCI) departs Fri, May 18th out of Anchorage (Seward). Ship returns to Vancouver, Friday, May 25th.

If I end up flying from Seattle to LA versus Vancouver to LA, then I will probaby stay for a couple nights in Seattle since I've never been there. Might as well use the flight. So, I would fly home from SEA on Sunday 5/27 or 5/28 (the holiday) depending on price differences. Two nights in Seattle will be plenty to get my feet wet there.

I'm a budget traveler, esp since I am traveling solo.

Thx.

You can fly from SEA to LAX on that weekend for $169.

The return flight from Vancouver is not the problem--I'm seeing those on Alaska Air for around $160. The problem is the LAX to ANC flight is outside the window for lower cost flights (usually 60 0r 90 days). I think you are stuck with around $600. JetBlue service does not begin until May 24--it's seasonal.

Great your flight is May 25 and you are getting that good return fare. We are also flying Vancouver to LA but on June 29 and they are really getting us big time. The fare is 306.00 one way per person. Really better deals in May. I just thought it would be much colder and more snow since they have had so much snow this year.

I also remember Jet Blue now fly direct from Long Beach to Anchorage. Check their website for time and price.

When I checked it says that the flights do not begin until May 24--but check again to make sure. Have you posted the question on the CruiseAir section?

Keep looking.. even though I know it's coming up. We were just "thinking" about a one-way Alaska cruise but were overwhelmed by the airfare. We live an hour away from LA. Well, one day in January I happened to be browsing when I found a $125 fare from LA to Anchorage on Alaska! We'll arrive at 1:30 a.m., but for four of us, that was a huge savings over anything I'd seen so we booked it right away before we even booked the cruise. On the way back, we're going to take the train from Vancouver to Seattle ($100 for the four of us), spend the night, and fly home from Seattle for $115 each. When I was first looking at airfare, it was going to be well over $500 each to do the LA to Anchorage, Vancouver to LA trip.

Archived