NCL's Kid crew changed program drops 2 years from included drop off program?

smeyer418

Just off the NCL Pearl and can confirm they are no longer accepting 2 year-olds after 12/31/12. I'm kind of bummed about this as I have a 2 year-old and really liked my first NCL cruise. I asked one of the counselors about this and she said that the younger toddlers are just too much to look after. I'm not sure what program they will offer under 3's.

• 3 weeks later...
Today I spoke with someone "in-charge" at NCL and this is what I got:

1. The 2yo will still be accepted into the 3-5 program - but only until the end of this year (2012) because the "Nursery" drop-off program is not yet fully operational for this year (but will be by 2013). The goal is to create a more "Nursery-style" environment for 2yo who still need more support and who, during organized play, are unable to keep up with 5yo's.

2. There is an Under 2 Zoo Program for Kids under 2 with parent. It is an interactive "arts & craft" program that is not drop-off.

3. They will be sending out a "grandfathered" type email that will apply for this year's cruisers; which should contain more information regarding the changes. If you don't get one, I suggest you contact NCL.

4. There will be a daily 2hr Program Closure for the 2-5yo's as part of the New Youth Program.

5. The Late Night Program will still operate for the 2-12 yo's at a Fee Basis. I believe that later it will start at the age 3 it currently states on the website.

What it all boils down to is that they are still accepting 2yo's into the 3-5yo program until they have fully implemented everything fleetwide. So, even though the GEM is already in the program, they will accept the 2yo.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone heard recently if there will be any sort of drop-off or babysitting service for 2 year olds? We are cruising to celebrate our 10-year anniversary 3 weeks short of my daughter's 3rd birthday :(

Good thing it wouldn't even apply to me. As I spend my family vacation with my family.

Implying that those of us who use the kids' clubs don't enjoy our time with our kids? For our family, THAT is the best part of my kids' vacation....they have the best time there and would be bored out of their mind if they didn't get to do the kids' club activities.

I'm curious as to why you're posting on a kids club thread if it doesn't apply to you? To each their own, you don't have to use them but continuing to comment on a thread that you have no interest in is something I don't understand.

I'd personally be very upset if I'd booked on NCL (or any cruise line) to later find out they changed their drop off policy.

Anyone back from the latest Gem cruise with any additional info regarding the implementation of the New Kids Club and whether the 2 - 3 years olds are still accepted with the 3 - 5 year old group. I'm still very concerned about the wording "at this time" in the new NCL FAQs section on NCL's website ( Family Cruising - New Youth Program). Hoping for some official word from NCL of what length of time they will still be accepted, as "at this time" could mean anything. As I stated in another post, we all need something official in writing for our cruises.

I just sailed on the Jewel with my 2yo. She was accepted into the Splash academy as she is fully potty trained (if not potty trained, I think you get a beeper to come change your child). From my discussion with one of the counselors, starting in Jan 2013, no more 2yo only starting at 3 for drop off.

That said, my DD, who will be 3 in January, only went once to the kids club because she was really overwhelmed with the sheer number of kids plus some separation anxiety with a bunch of strangers (fwiw, she does go to daycare/school everyday).

Outside of the kids club, there were some good family activities, like cupcake decorating that we all enjoyed together. :)

Implying that those of us who use the kids' clubs don't enjoy our time with our kids? For our family, THAT is the best part of my kids' vacation....they have the best time there and would be bored out of their mind if they didn't get to do the kids' club activities.

I'm curious as to why you're posting on a kids club thread if it doesn't apply to you? To each their own, you don't have to use them but continuing to comment on a thread that you have no interest in is something I don't understand.

I'd personally be very upset if I'd booked on NCL (or any cruise line) to later find out they changed their drop off policy.

You don't have to understand. There are lots of people posting on threads that do not apply to them. If you have read all of my posts with my reasons for not using a kids club, then you may be more understanding instead of judging a person from one particular posts. Or maybe your intend it to start drama? Doesn't matter to me. :-) Just as I posted on a later post after the cruise, I actually did encourage my kids to attend the kids club on the rare chance they may like it. They didn't like it, just as I predicted. I know my kids quite well.

Enjoy your cruise!

You don't have to understand. There are lots of people posting on threads that do not apply to them. If you have read all of my posts with my reasons for not using a kids club, then you may be more understanding instead of judging a person from one particular posts. Or maybe your intend it to start drama? Doesn't matter to me. :-) Just as I posted on a later post after the cruise, I actually did encourage my kids to attend the kids club on the rare chance they may like it. They didn't like it, just as I predicted. I know my kids quite well.

Enjoy your cruise!

I can't know for sure, but I kind of doubt it. Surely you must realize that a statement on a thread about the kid's club that ends with "I spend my family vacation with my family" could be insulting to parents who do let their kids enjoy the club. You're outright saying that those who use the childrens programs aren't spending their family vacation with their family. Is it that unreasonable to sincerely wonder why you'd write that? No one was insulting or flaming or trying to start something.

It's perfectly fine to not use the kid's programs, of course it is. But it's equally fine for parents to use it as well. Some kids love it and see it as a chance to be "independent" for a while or to learn new things or to meet new friends. Some parents, usually moms, are stay at home parents who generally spend all day, every day with their kids. It's not unreasonable for them to enjoy some adult time, both alone (say a spa appointment) and with their spouse (perhaps a romantic dinner) or other family (maybe a drink and listen to music in one of the lounges). There can be a balance that allows kids "their" activities and time, parents their activities and time, and still have the majority of the time to be together as a family.

If you and your children don't like the programs, no problem, but why make an issue of it?

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! we vacation as a family too, but I booked our cruise for Nov 2013 expecting that I would get just one nice dinner without the kids so my hubby and I could celebrate our anniversary.. but since my youngest is 3 weeks shy of turning 3 for that cruise.. I guess I'm out of luck.. I wish I had known that when I booked..

I can't know for sure, but I kind of doubt it. Surely you must realize that a statement on a thread about the kid's club that ends with "I spend my family vacation with my family" could be insulting to parents who do let their kids enjoy the club. You're outright saying that those who use the childrens programs aren't spending their family vacation with their family. Is it that unreasonable to sincerely wonder why you'd write that? No one was insulting or flaming or trying to start something.

It's perfectly fine to not use the kid's programs, of course it is. But it's equally fine for parents to use it as well. Some kids love it and see it as a chance to be "independent" for a while or to learn new things or to meet new friends. Some parents, usually moms, are stay at home parents who generally spend all day, every day with their kids. It's not unreasonable for them to enjoy some adult time, both alone (say a spa appointment) and with their spouse (perhaps a romantic dinner) or other family (maybe a drink and listen to music in one of the lounges). There can be a balance that allows kids "their" activities and time, parents their activities and time, and still have the majority of the time to be together as a family.

If you and your children don't like the programs, no problem, but why make an issue of it?

beachchick

Let's face it - some kids are more independent than others, some kids make friends a lot easier than others. I'm sure it's hard when your kids have a hard time fitting in with their peers. As a parent, I know I'd feel sad for my kids, if they didn't socialize that well with other kids their age. And if it ever happens, I'm going to make sure my kids know it's okay to hang with the parents.

this is funny... I just emailed the NCL rep that booked our cruise and asked her about it.. she said and I quote " if he's 2 and potty trained, they will take him in the program".. say what?!?! That goes against everything that I've been hearing.. I'm so confused..

this is funny... I just emailed the NCL rep that booked our cruise and asked her about it.. she said and I quote " if he's 2 and potty trained, they will take him in the program".. say what?!?! That goes against everything that I've been hearing.. I'm so confused..

I believe from my investigation... this was the case until Dec 31 2012... so just until last week. maybe they missed the memo?

How long ago did you book? Was it before they even announced the changes? Maybe (just maybe) you're grandfathered in because those were the conditions when you booked? Otherwise, yeah, I'd say your rep doesn't have current info.

Has anyone had any experience with this since 2013 started?

We're booked on the Gem on Feb 23rd, and have been for over a year and a half. Just found out about this policy change today, and I'm not happy.

I'm hoping we'll be grandfathered in since we booked so long ago, but I'd like to hear from someone that this is still happening.

I contacted my cruise consultant with NCL and asked about this. His first response to me was that if our daughter was potty-trained then we'd be okay. But then he sent me a second message that simply echoes what's on the website, including the bit about at least one parent must attend up to 3 years old.

The website basically says that there was a transition period up to Jan 1, 2013, where they'd still take a two-year-old, but that's over now. So I think we're out of luck.

So it's 2013 and apparently the new kids program is in full force, meaning no dropoff for a two-year-old.

Time to make the best of it.

Has anyone cruised under the new setup with a small child? How are the new facilities for 6 month to 2 year old children?

Archived