Would you pay for a chair ????

bluehenfan

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=black]I do not like the idea of any cruise line[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=black]charging for chairs by the main pools.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=black]Just enforce the rule that are already[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=black]in place!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

If they had cabanas ala HAL I would rent one. Would also pay for designated serenity clam shell. Would pay $20/day for cabanas and $10/day for clam shell. Worth it IMO. In the scheme of things its not much. Just paid $75 to fill up my car $4.49/gallon so in perspective on vacation a few bucks isn't a big deal. Its not like every chair would have a price. We have a pool also and rarely swim on a ship but space is always nice. Some airlines charge extra for forward coach seats. Same thing. Anything desirable may have a cost. Cruise costs haven't changed much in the past 10 years but the costs to the line have raised dramatically. Id rather pay incrementally for the items I want.

[quote name='cruisercathy']When I first started cruising in 1979, it was on Home Lines......I paid for my chair, I had an assigned chair and my name was on it!!! I think I paid $5.[/quote]

Yup! I remember that, been on Home Lines too many times to count, I wouldn't mind at all paying for a pool chair and not having to worry about my stuff on it if I leave to get something.

No to paying for a chair.

? - Does Carnival post chairhog policy on signs around the pool area? That would make it easier to get them to adhere to it. This is growing problem - never saw more chair hogs than on recent Princess cruise but it is a problem on RCCL & Celebrity too just not as much.

[quote name='bluehenfan']I just finished reading a long article about cruising in 3/11 Philadelphia Inquirer that a friend had saved for me. One part was about how cruise lines are generating new ways to make money. With all the complaints about "chair hogs", would you be willing to pay for reserved cabana seating by the pools on a Carnival ship ? This was one example of things to come that was listed in this story. How much would you be willing to pay? I imagine it would be by the day.[/quote]

as others have posted here I'd be willing to pay $10 pp on a sea day to secure a lounger in a section of the main pool deck despite booking a balcony (that doesn't always have the sun exposure you desire and is out of the loop of main pool activity). Don't see how it'd be an issue on the ships with the stadium type set up. It's easy enough to designate several upper rows, mid section. There would still be plenty of 'open' seating for the rest of the guests and the line could generate some extra revenue.

No way would I pay for a chair, especially since they cut back on the pool deck live music! If they'd enforce the rules they have it'd be great! We prefer to hang on our balcony in relative peace and privacy! I hope they do charge for the "premium" seats! It would serve the self absorbed, ill mannered chair hogs well!

To enforce the rules fully, they'd probably have to hire more attendants (since the attendants in the pool area always seem very very busy). If they are hiring more staff, then either the cost of the cruise is going to go up a little or the tips are going to go up a little [B]for everyone[/B]. So asking those who want reserved chairs to pay for them might be a little more palatable than asking everyone to pay to make sure people can't reserve chairs - even if you don't want to sit in one of those chairs anyway.

[quote name='Billzilla66'][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]If everyone had to pay for a chair, and the typical ship carries over 2,000 passengers, would there be enough room for every chair?:confused::D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

no, but it'd be ala Half Moon Cay cabanas, 1st come 1st served

[quote name='andr3a']What an absolute nightmare that would be! LMAO

Also wondering what would be next? Families parked in the middle of the deck blowing up baby pools and floaties with battery powered air pumps...hauling buckets of water from the pool (or worse...Lido!! :P ) to fill it up!

*giggles madly*

The possible disasters are endless...[/quote]

Now I might pay for a chair to watch all this. I can see it now, "My Big Redneck Cruise experience"

I would gladly pay for a chair by the pool. I think the hard part would be how to charge...is ANYTHING on the pool deck the same price or do you start at $10 first row next to the pool and charge $5 for the row behind those? Also, do you do per day or for the cruise...and you would have to have the same chair each day so now they would need to be numbered which would take a considerable amount of time for them when they put them out in the AM and put them away each PM...

And how do you pick...like your cabin or airline seat...a diagram of the pool with the chairs and you just click on the available ones you want...and if the people next to your chair suck, can you go to the pool attendant and switch like you can go to the maitre'd in the dining room to get reassigned?

And you will still have people trying to sit on the chairs that aren't theirs...that isn't going to change, only difference is there is no argument as to why they have to move...

Too many elements I think would make this impossible or atleast a MAJOR cluster for the first few sailings...but it would be FUN to watch!

[quote name='andr3a']What an absolute nightmare that would be! LMAO

Also wondering what would be next? Families parked in the middle of the deck blowing up baby pools and floaties with battery powered air pumps...hauling buckets of water from the pool (or worse...Lido!! :P ) to fill it up!

*giggles madly*

The possible disasters are endless...[/quote]

I've seen people bring inflatable baby pools and thought it was a great idea...since you can't take babies in the main pool it gives them a little place to go too...I heard they can also double as a bathtub in the shower...and they filled it with the water from the showers...didn't seem to bother anyone...

Home Lines..... I remember when I went on the Atlantic for the second time....(with my husband) and another couple....on embarkation night we went to the dining room for dinner and my husband and our friend were sent back to their cabin to get there jackets...You were not allowed in the dining room unless you adhered to the rules!!!! At that time, dinner was not served on the lido!!!!

I miss Home Lines!!!

I did not mind paying the fee...............

[quote name='bluehenfan']I just finished reading a long article about cruising in 3/11 Philadelphia Inquirer that a friend had saved for me. One part was about how cruise lines are generating new ways to make money. With all the complaints about "chair hogs", would you be willing to pay for reserved cabana seating by the pools on a Carnival ship ? This was one example of things to come that was listed in this story. How much would you be willing to pay? I imagine it would be by the day.[/quote]

I paid for a chair/lounger when i paid for my cruise. I will not pay another cent for a chair. and if the lines started doing this, adios cruise, hello land!

Archived