Chef's Table -- Carnival Dream 3/17

Isakep15

We booked the Chef's Table on the March 17th sailing of the Dream hoping that the old menu was still in effect. My overall feeling is that while this was a unique experience (I really enjoyed talking to the Chef and touring the galley), I was greatly disappointed in the new menu. The menu leans toward the sweet, instead of the savory. Although it is 7 courses, I actually left hungry, because many of the items listed are aerated, or more of a molecular-type dining.

The stand-outs are definitely the Wagyu, and the reception appetizers.

This was what we were served:

RECEPTION

Parmesan Core & Olive

Chorizo & Dates, Poquillo Sofrito

Focaccia, Marscarpone Cream & Prosciutto Crudo

Langoustine & Sundried Tomato Jam Fritters

MENU

Tomatoes Our Way! -- Aerated Tomato Juice, Cocoa Butter Coated, Chardonnay Poached

Tuna Banh Mi -- Lemon Bread, Sesame Crisp, Miso Cream Avocado Gel

Cornish Hen -- Caramelized, Butternut Squash, Sofrito

Bavarois -- Spinach, Green Peas, Warm Turnip & Apple Juice

Salmon -- Herb Pesto, Cured Tomatoes, Carrots, Fava, Mushroom Earth, Condensed Beets

Wagyu -- Slow Stewed Short Ribs, Potato Pebbles, Pumpkin Fudge, Tomato Dust

Dessert -- Chef in a Candy Shop

To me, the menu doesn't warrant the price. JMO. Cornish hen is something we have almost every week. I know the short ribs are not the every day variety, but still, it just doesn't impress me.

Did you get the cook book? Supposedly, months and months ago it was out of print and in the process of being reprinted. I wonder if the same person in charge of the printing is also the one who is in charge of the new loyalty program?

To me, the menu doesn't warrant the price. JMO. Cornish hen is something we have almost every week. I know the short ribs are not the every day variety, but still, it just doesn't impress me.

Did you get the cook book? Supposedly, months and months ago it was out of print and in the process of being reprinted. I wonder if the same person in charge of the printing is also the one who is in charge of the new loyalty program?

Honestly, we were very disappointed that we did not get to experience the old menu, and we probably would have cancelled our reservation if we had known about the change.

Cookbook -- We did not get a cookbook but we were given the chocolate melting cake recipe.

Photos -- They took four photos of the table. Each side was given a different photo. My husband's photo was okay but mine was out of focus.

Wine -- Wine was free-flowing. You start with a glass of champagne, and then you can choose white or red (or both.)

Attire -- We were asked to wear closed-toed shoes, and no heels. There were people wearing sandals, and no one seemed to mind.

The Chef -- Speaking to the Chef was the best part of the experience. What was interesting is that he said that this was his menu, and that he had come up with the pairings based on freshness and seasonal availability.

I can't say if this is the chef that decided on this menu and all other ships use it, or if it his way of cooking things that make them him. I think he is probably right about freshness, especially the wines, lol. Carnival doesn't use aged fine wines, but then again I probably wouldn't really know the difference.

Thanks for your views. I know we won't go when we go on Dream again unless the menu is changed to something we would like.

Honestly, we were very disappointed that we did not get to experience the old menu, and we probably would have cancelled our reservation if we had known about the change.

Cookbook -- We did not get a cookbook but we were given the chocolate melting cake recipe.

Photos -- They took four photos of the table. Each side was given a different photo. My husband's photo was okay but mine was out of focus.

Wine -- Wine was free-flowing. You start with a glass of champagne, and then you can choose white or red (or both.)

Attire -- We were asked to wear closed-toed shoes, and no heels. There were people wearing sandals, and no one seemed to mind.

The Chef -- Speaking to the Chef was the best part of the experience. What was interesting is that he said that this was his menu, and that he had come up with the pairings based on freshness and seasonal availability.

That really stinks .We loved the old menu so much and it was a great experience overall.Some people at our table loved the mac and cheese so our chef sent some recipes to our cabin the next day (including choc melting cake) .I think we may try the steakhouse next cruise it seems like a better value

• 1 month later...

Never tried the older menu, but the menu looked more of what I would expect for the price you pay. Was actually going to try it, then they changed it. The new menu is not all that appealing to me. By th way, how was the dessert?

The dessert was not something that I would ever order. It was mainly wafers, paired with mousses and sauce reductions, which may appeal to some people but not to me. There is a photo of the dessert in this thread -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1474114&page=5

We did meet the pastry/dessert chef, and he showed us how to make warm chocolate melting cake. He also discussed the different ways in which you can order the cake. The recipe was available by request.

So I have to first admit that I have not had the good fortune of touching anything truly gourmet in my entire life, but I was hoping to start on our honeymoon cruise on the Breeze this coming January. I don't know much about fancy food, but it seemed like a no-brainer to me that the old menu was leaps and bounds ahead of this new one. But, I'm all for experiences.

I do have a few questions about the food though.

1. Is the tuna and salmon raw?

2. What is "mushroom earth"?

3. The "Tomatoes Our Way!" -- is it straight tomato? That's probably a really stupid question, but, like I hate fresh tomato, but love tomato cream soup, salsa, and everything else tomato. I just can't do straight tomato.

We've only been to one Chefs Table on the Miracle last fall, it was the old menu and it was awesome!!

We're going to try it again this September on Conquest, I told my friends how amazing it is and so I hope we are not all disappointed.

If the new menu is in place and no cookbooks are given out, then this will probably be our last Chefs table, we can do the Supper Club twice for the price of a Chefs table and choose the foods we prefer.

Nice experience though once, even with the new, not improved menu.

Hope the "beards" understand that if they want longativity in the extra revenue from the Chefs Table they are going to have to deliver better than Salmon and Cornish Hen!!!

Carole

So I have to first admit that I have not had the good fortune of touching anything truly gourmet in my entire life, but I was hoping to start on our honeymoon cruise on the Breeze this coming January. I don't know much about fancy food, but it seemed like a no-brainer to me that the old menu was leaps and bounds ahead of this new one. But, I'm all for experiences.

I do have a few questions about the food though.

1. Is the tuna and salmon raw?

2. What is "mushroom earth"?

3. The "Tomatoes Our Way!" -- is it straight tomato? That's probably a really stupid question, but, like I hate fresh tomato, but love tomato cream soup, salsa, and everything else tomato. I just can't do straight tomato.

I'm pretty sure that the tuna was a sushi-grade tuna, and that it was raw but I could be mistaken. The salmon, on the other hand, was cooked.

The mushrooms earth are almost like grated truffles. It's not your average mushroom.

The tomatoes are whole, peeled, cherry tomatoes that are prepared in each of the ways listed on the menu.

We didn't take photos, because they said that photos were not allowed. I did a quick Google search and it appears that this person had the same menu as we did on the Dream -- http://whstoneman.blogspot.com/2012/02/fun-week-in-carribbean.html

I'm pretty sure that the tuna was a sushi-grade tuna, and that it was raw but I could be mistaken. The salmon, on the other hand, was cooked.

The mushrooms earth are almost like grated truffles. It's not your average mushroom.

The tomatoes are whole, peeled, cherry tomatoes that are prepared in each of the ways listed on the menu.

We didn't take photos, because they said that photos were not allowed. I did a quick Google search and it appears that this person had the same menu as we did on the Dream -- http://whstoneman.blogspot.com/2012/02/fun-week-in-carribbean.html

Wow, thank you for the response! And the link to the photos. I'm kind of on the fence about whether to do this or not. For the old menu, I had no reservations. For this --- I kind of find myself agreeing with a majority of CC, for once. :confused:

Archived