What wildlife can be seen from the ship as it transits?

kpgclark

There still is plenty to see although it is not wildlife. I spent all 8 hours of our crossing up on deck. The neatest part other than the locks is all the cars that pull over to watch the ship. Families all jump out of the car and wave frantically like you are some famous parade float. Kids ran along the banks. I think they will even be more excited to see the Disney ship. Make sure you watch when you go under the bridge of the Americas. Cars stop right on the highway as you pass.

Any tours in Panama that are especially good for seeing birds and wildlife (we will be on a partial transit with Princess in January or Feb next year)? The kids would really like to see monkeys. We will also be stopping in Costa Rica, so I would imagine there are some good chances there as well.

Whalewatcher: We were on the Coral Princess last Feb. 2004 on a partial transit through the canal one of the stops was Costa Rica. We took the Tortugero Canal tour and we loved it. Tha animals we saw were, monkeys, sloths, all kinds of birds, gators. Well worth it and would go back again in a minute. After the boat trip we were taken back by bus to the ship, saw a banana plantation and some scenery. Check out the excursions on the princess site. It will probably have a better description than what I wrote here but it is a very good excursion in my opinion.

Marilyn

• 8 months later...

The tour buses are very good about stopping impromptu when wildlife is spotted. After the ferry boat thru two locks of the canal, we had a 45 minute ride from Gamboa back to Colon and stopped to see monkeys and sloths. We were ahead of schedule and we also got to stop at the Chagress river dam for photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived