Vaccinations?

pbarefoot

Me and my wife are doing the western Carribbean in a few weeks. Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. Should we get any vaccinations. Possibly Malaria or hep?

The antimalarial drugs will probably make you sick as a dog! Wear insect repellent instead. By the way, you will be deferred from giving blood for at least a year since you are visiting Belize. Hepatitis vaccine is given in a series of two or three doses. You don't have enough time to get it.

Have fun cruising and don't get bit by the locals!

There aren't really any recommended immunizations for those places. I think the antimalarial if you were going and spending weeks in the jungle but not just for one day. Just make sure in Belize to wear good insect repellent especially if you are going into the jungle. I got bit by army ants in Belize and my ankles itched for several weeks after we got back. The insect repellent I had on didn't repell them.:(

The antimalarial drugs will probably make you sick as a dog! Wear insect repellent instead. By the way, you will be deferred from giving blood for at least a year since you are visiting Belize. Hepatitis vaccine is given in a series of two or three doses. You don't have enough time to get it.

I would check with the blood bank on this since the last time I gave blood there was no deferral for visiting Belize City all other areas outside of the city is a one year deferral. The risk is low in Belize City and that's why no vaccinations are required to visit but are required if going outside of the city area.

Vinnie

Me and my wife are doing the western Carribbean in a few weeks. Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. Should we get any vaccinations. Possibly Malaria or hep?

Generally no, but some do get hepatitis vaccines, or tetanus if you're out of date.

When traveling to a foreign country always check the country on http://travel.state.gov/ for guidelines for vaccinations and other relevant info

Also it's best to check with a doctor or visit a travel clinic, everyone is different and may have different medical needs when traveling.

You're still better off getting that 1st hep shot even if it's only 3 weeks (assuming a doctor has recommended you get the hep shot for travel).

I believe guidelines suggest getting it 4-6 weeks prior to travel, however the travel.gov website does say even if it's less, you're better off getting it than not.

The second in the series is a booster and it comes 6 months later.

You're still better off getting that 1st hep shot even if it's only 3 weeks (assuming a doctor has recommended you get the hep shot for travel).

I believe guidelines suggest getting it 4-6 weeks prior to travel, however the travel.gov website does say even if it's less, you're better off getting it than not.

There is no need in these areas. There are parts of Honduras, Belize where you'd want to get innoculated, but not in the port/touristy areas. If you are heading into the interior for an extended stay, then yes. But not while in a port city for a few hours.

This is a good suggestion for the Hep A. My son travelled to Costa Rica and only managed to get the first shot done before going and that was considered fine. We went to a clinic specializing in travel medicine to find out what he needed. Since then, the Hep A has been added to the vaccination list for kids, so it's not a bad idea to get it anyways.

For malaria risk, what they recommended was spraying your clothes with permethrin (we used the Sawyer brand). You can get it at good outdoor stores and Amazon is now carrying it, and it lasts about 6 washes on your clothes. Make sure you do it a few days ahead (outdoors) as it smells strongly of the permethrin for the first 24-48 hours.:rolleyes:

If you have sprayed your clothes, then you only have to worry about insect repellent on your exposed skin (yes, you can be bitten right through your clothes if they're lightweight). We used the Sawyer controlled release lotion for him. That way he could slather it on daily and not have to worry so much about absorbing the Deet (a neurotoxin). The doctor explained how it worked, and if I remember correctly the Deet is in suspension in the lotion so that it stays on the surface of your skin, and does not get absorbed as much. This also helps it last longer. It doesn't feel gross on your skin, and doesn't smell like much at all.

As far as risk by country, there is some risk in Belize and Roatan, and none listed in Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

Thanks for the info. My wife told me she has pretty much all those vaccines since she works at the hospital. Ill just spray my clothes down and use deet. We are doing the boat ride and ruins. So we should be ok.

I just made sure I had the current Flu Vaccine... Before all the cruises.. I would be more afraid of the people on the ship, then in the ports.. :rolleyes:

And they have bug spray/ sun screen avaible together in the sporting good section of walmart. You wouldnt have to apply both. We always use it.

-Debbi

Just follow the usual hygiene routine(s). Wash your hands, don't drink the water, or use local ice, keep your hands away from your eyes,( and fingers out of your nose.) Use bug spray(like mentioned). Don't kiss the locals.

Relax, you will be fine! ;)

Archived