Priceline: hotels in San Pedro

gracecarmo

Two years ago when the Marina Hotel was Hilton, I got it through Priceline for $45. This was for April Spring break. I also later won the same bid ($45) for October of the same year for my daughter and her husband's honeymoon cruise. Free parking and free shuttle within a 5 mile radius and to the port and back. So they shuttled us to the Acapulco restaurant for dinner and back. Also, when my daughter's ship (Star Princess) changed to Long Beach embarkation instead of San Pedro, the hotel shuttled them to and from the port at no charge. You might go on Biddingfortravel.com and see if this hotel is still the one listed for Priceline. We've also stayed twice at the Sheraton which I like even more, but it doesn't do Priceline---at least it didn't then.

Has anyone recently used PL for San Pedro hotels?

Grace

Where did you end up staying? If Long Beach, did you have transfers to the pier or just take a cab that next morning?

Thanks

We used Priceline for our Diamond Princess cruise last January and we got the Marina Hotel, I think our bid was $60. It was quite satisfactory for a pre-cruise stay and I would definitely stay there again. It's not a resort but a small, friendly hotel with a nice view of the marina outside. Our room was marina-view and newly renovated with a comfortable king bed, small sofa, desk with DSL connection, good sized bath and some extras such as a coffee maker and iron. The lobby bar was pleasant with free appetizers before dinner, and we ate at the lobby restaurant which was casual but fine at the end of a long day. Next morning, we took their free and efficient shuttle over to the pier. All in all, it was a successful stay.

Sorry if I am repeating the same question, but I read through this thread too fast.

I guess, now that I have my brain in gear, you said you could see the pier. Guess it has to be in San Pedro.

Sounds like a great deal, but if we have to spend $40 to get there.......

No shuttle from the airport to the Marina Hotel, but I think you'll have to pay for transportation at least one way, anywhere you stay. We flew into Long Beach, and some of the hotels had airport shuttles, but then you'd have to take a taxi to San Pedro to the ship. I hear that Hertz will reimburse your taxi fare to the ship from their Long Beach drop off point, if you want a rental car for your pre cruise travels -----

We will be driving down to LA for our 4 day LA-Ensenada cruise December 5. We are looking for hotels that will also allow us to park and will shuttle us to the pier. I'm not familiar with Priceline. Can I use Priceline and be that specific. i.e. specify that we are looking for a hotel/parking package? We are traveling as a goup and will need 4 rooms. Thanks in advance, Kathy

We bid 3 * for the Marina Hotel.Originally, we hoped to stay at one of the fancier hotels in Long beach, tried bidding 4* and came up with nothing, even by upping our bid. Then we went to the hotels' own websites, and they were showing nothing available for that night, so we concluded that something was going on and it was. Turned out, there was a jewelry convention in Long Beach that weekend. So, we downsized to a bid for a 3*, got the Marina Hotel, and it worked out great for us. I was a little nervous because it got some scathing reviews on tripadvisor.com, but we were quite satisfied and would definitely stay there again. Our room was newly renovated, the lobby lounge was friendly and had a nice variety of free hot and cold appetizers before dinner, and we ate in the lobby restaurant looking out on the marina for a casual but good and reasonably priced dinner (we were pretty worn out by that time after flying in from the East Coast.) This is more info than you were asking for, but I guess I'm feeling chatty this AM!

Using PL your only choice is to pick an area and star quality and enter bid. There are no other options. However, I have used PL 4 times now for San Pedro and got the MARINA Hotel each time and have been able to park my car there each time for free for 7 to 10 day cruises. I even told them upfront and it was no problem. On the other hand, if you win the Sheraton (Changing names as we speak) they have a pay garage and do not have free parking.

There are 2 free shuttles used by the Marina Hotel to/from cruiseport along with limited free use within 5 miles for restaurants etc upon availability. However it can be busy or longer waits because they use the shuttles for both the San pedro and Long Beach piers.

Steve Hayes

We will be driving down to LA for our 4 day LA-Ensenada cruise December 5. We are looking for hotels that will also allow us to park and will shuttle us to the pier. I'm not familiar with Priceline. Can I use Priceline and be that specific. i.e. specify that we are looking for a hotel/parking package? We are traveling as a goup and will need 4 rooms. Thanks in advance, Kathy

re the Marina: I tried to get a res on their web site, and they say no rooms available. This would be for Jan. 06. Do they normally just book 6 months in advance, or do you think the hotel is really "sold out"?

Thanks, Grace

I am not aware of anything special going on at that time of year so I really doubt that they are sold out. You may want to contact them directly just to be sure.

Steve Hayes

re the Marina: I tried to get a res on their web site, and they say no rooms available. This would be for Jan. 06. Do they normally just book 6 months in advance, or do you think the hotel is really "sold out"?

Thanks, Grace

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using a search engine like Expedia or travelocity and are getting the message 'no rooms available', ignore it. I have had that happen to me many times and when I contacted the hotel directly, there was no problem getting a reservation. I can only assume that when you get that message, it means no rooms are available at the discounted rate offered by the search engines. Also, last time I used Priceline, I won a bid on a hotel that showed no rooms available on expedia afterwards. So it was obviously not true. Happy Sailing!

Archived