ship's time vs. local time

luvtheships

I know that I could post on the Europe board, but they are rather slow so here goes...

Italy is 6 hours ahead...

Istanbul, Athens, Mykonos and Kusadasi are 7 hours ahead.....

Does anyone who did the Ruby Grand Med last summer remember what they did with the clocks? Did they stay on ship's time or did they move ahead an hour as the Eastern part of the cruise lasts for 4 days and 4 ports to make it easier?

so...what I am asking...and I ask this because we did have a problem on the cruise to Canada one year on CCL....

when my private guide in Athens and Istanbul tell me 9am...does that mean the ship will still be 8am?

and when they return me to the ship at 5 pm local time, will the ship say 4pm?

May sound complicated but if any of the many cruisers who did this itin in 2011 could provide answers it would be greatly appreciated.

I will call PCL but but have found that cust. service is clueless and has little to no knowledge about what actually goes on on the ship.

I want to start reconfirming things with the tours and such so I wanted to get some info.

have you done this itin? if so, how easy was it to get off within say half hour of posted arrival? Is 8:30 doable in ports like Athens and Istanbul?

Thanks

Barring problems, the ship will be cleared with 30 minutes or so. People will be able to leave the ship shortly afterward. It may be 10 or 15 minutes until the initial rush is off.

have you done this itin? if so, how easy was it to get off within say half hour of posted arrival? Is 8:30 doable in ports like Athens and Istanbul?

Thanks

We did it on the Emerald in 2008. We used Princess excursions so the departure process/times were not an issue for us.

I was on the Star last summer. I can't comment on Istanbul, but we were off the ship super early in Athens, before 8 a.m.

We did change time on the ship to conform to local time.

great..glad to hear it being early and glad that they use local time.

I would be interested to see if PCL customer service actually gives me the correct answer.:D

Thanks

Piraeus (the port for Athens) can be a bit difficult. Usually, you will need to take a bus from the ship to the cruise terminal entrance. This adds to you time ... more so if several large ships are in port that day. I might add another 15-30 minutes, just in case.

. . .I want to start reconfirming things with the tours and such so I wanted to get some info.

If you are using private tour guides, they ALL know the routine and will be there awaiting your arrival. We had private drivers/tours in each port and each was waiting for us with our name printed on a small hand-held sign.

If you are using private tour guides, they ALL know the routine and will be there awaiting your arrival. We had private drivers/tours in each port and each was waiting for us with our name printed on a small hand-held sign.

oh I know how efficient they all are and that is why in Athens and Istanbul we are doing private tours, and when I reconfirm with them I always mention the timing. I just wanted to be sure that the ship conformed with local time because if the pickup is 8am and the ship still stays at 7am that will be a problem. Still, we will debark when the announcement is made and be with the first wave,as we usually do.

Of course I will know that the ship changes time because I will be on it, Just wanted to check with some folks who did this ship and itin last season.

Thanks.

Archived