Why would you NOT book ES?

hannahsmomtoo

When I look at my sailing on the Carnival website..

there are 3 "Rate" options available..

Early Saver

Fun saver ( higher )

Fun Select ( highest )

Why would someone choose one of the other two options? Am I missing something?

Early saver is only if you are 100% sure you're taking that sailing. If you have to change it, you lose $$$.

Early saver is only if you are 100% sure you're taking that sailing. If you have to change it, you lose $$$.

But isn't that was travel insurance is for? If you need to cancel etc? Again - ofcourse not everyone buys insurance.. so it could go round and round.

Your answer makes sense of it - Thank you !!!!:rolleyes:

But isn't that was travel insurance is for? If you need to cancel etc? Again - ofcourse not everyone buys insurance.. so it could go round and round.

Many travel insurance policies stipulate the reasons you need to have to cancel. Some are 'cancel for any reason' but they are usually fairly expensive.

Travel ins also has a cost associated, so that money is still lost.

I agree it is a great deal, but like any purchasing decision you must wiegh the pros and cons. We are lucky the one sailing PG was identical to ES. So we took the PG, and the price never dropped.

We book ES because we are young, have no kids, so are not likely to have to cancel the cruise. If we did have to cancel, losing a couple hundred bucks isn't the end of the world, especially considering how much $ we're racked up in ES OBC over the past few years.....

Our next cruise we booked 18 months out and decided that alot could happen in 18 months so we booked past guest. Later when we knew we would definitely not change our minds we switched to ES.

This. Exactly.

Also, we booked an aft wrap, but if regular balconies dropped enough in price we would consider a downgrade. Something we can do with pg and not es.

Mostly people don't book ES because of the restrictions - they aren't 100% sure they are going to go, or one of the passengers may not be going, or something like that, as peole have said above.

For me, I would have loved to book ES for my trip, but I wanted a particular inside cabin category so we could be across the hall from my parents. The category that I wanted was not available at the ES rate. The cabin category that you want not being available is another reason people don't book ES.

Thankfully I caught a sale, and with the promotional OBC, the rate works out exactly the same as the ES rate - I just won't be able to take advantage of any price drops after final payment (although I am really not expecting any). Still, I got the cabin that I wanted at a price I'm happy with - and best of all, I'm going on a cruise!:D

We don't book ES because we like the flexibility of changing our cabin location...adding a person...changing a person. (sometimes our oldest son can go...sometimes he can't)

Also we generally book pack-n-gos now that are very inexpensive and historically (based on our experience) the more expensive speciality cruises (like our Hawaiian cruise) don't go down in price.

Our PVP does give us a rate reduction before the final payment and 90% of our cruises have gone UP after the final payment...not down.

We have always booked ES since it became available, because when we book a cruise, we are quite certain of our plans. We have saved lots moola this way. We always purchase travel insurance and there are so many cancellation reasons included in most policies already, we don't ever get the cancel for any reason policy.

The no changes restriction of the ES fare wouldn't have worked for me. The more rooms and people you deal with in a group or family, the more chances you will have to make changes. I'm the one that arranges the cruise and pays for everyone too. I had to change out passengers on my last cruise, wouldn't have been able to do that with ES. Now if it were just my husband and me, I would do it!

The no changes restriction of the ES fare wouldn't have worked for me. The more rooms and people you deal with in a group or family, the more chances you will have to make changes. I'm the one that arranges the cruise and pays for everyone too. I had to change out passengers on my last cruise, wouldn't have been able to do that with ES. Now if it were just my husband and me, I would do it!

It is just my teenager and I .. so I am in control of everything.... and my vacation from work has been approved... so I think I am ok !! I understand now though....

Many travel insurance policies stipulate the reasons you need to have to cancel. Some are 'cancel for any reason' but they are usually fairly expensive.

....and most "Cancel for Any Reason" polices (usually 50% added premium) do not reimburse at 100% and some reimburse at lower and lower percentage the closer you cancel to sailaway. The Carnival Policy is a 75% future cruise credit (not a refund). ken

My cruising buddies and I love to cruise together. ES doesn't work for us. As a rule, ES does not serve a large group well.

If you don't have this issue, then you can enjoy the benefit of ES. As far as I know, it's the only fare that sincerely gives you OBC after final payment.

Other cruise lines may advertise best price guarantee or something like that after final payment date, but more often than not it does not work out when you try to claim it. There is always a hidden clause.

Archived