Carnival Camp 2-5 group - will my almost 6 yr old be bored?

cmp03

I am guessing she will have fun no matter where she is but she will be 5yrs 11 months on the cruise and out of kindergarten already.

Do they have the same activities available for free play for all the kids in the camp carnival or do they have them in separate rooms depending on age? We cruise on Disney and she was able to go around and participate in any number of events going on at any time regardless of what 'age' they were for.

Anyone cruise with their almost 6 yr old and have them dislike being in the 'toddler' group?

Since no one has answered your question I will tell you that in our experiance on carnival conquest and magic last year the kids used the whole room.

When the younger kids were in the kids club the older kids were in another part of the ship and vice versa. There were very few times the older and younger kids were combined in the kids club (in seperate rooms but in the same area of the ship.) So she should be able to play with all of the older kids stuff.

The staff does a great job of gearing activities to the guest that are there. So she will more than likely love it. I know my kids did when they were that age.

My six year old/turned 7 on the cruise didn't like being in the older group and wished she could move to the younger group. This was the first time she's ever not loved the kid program. She's mature and loves older kids, so I thought she was going to love it being the youngest, but I guess the older kids did not make it easy on the younger ones and it's more chaotic than the younger group. This may have been a flook on this particular cruise though.

Best,

Mia

They also allow some to move up an age group. In January of 2011, DD was 8 years 11 months, and the couselors allowed her to join the 9-11 year old group instead of 6-8 group. However, they would not allow her to "sign in and out" as the others.

I did ask at the open house during embarkation to move her up.

Depending on how many children are in each age group, they may let your child in the older age group. It would not hurt to ask. If your child doesn't like it, then move them down again.

I think it could boil down to personality & what they are used to at home. In day care, my son is currently the youngest (but not by much) & is doing just fine. In our social circle he is still the youngest, but the next closest is a year older - he still does fine (now that he is running, tossing balls, etc.).

Maybe my son is a social butterfly & will fit in no matter the group make-up. (I don't know just guessing.)

& I am only staing this because you know your child & you are probably already assuming the boredom... (Though my son know better that to say that on a cruise - because there is a boredom busting book just waiting for him to start reading!)

Thanks - I'll keep in mind that they might let her move up to the older group. She is the youngest in her class at school and at her after school program but really, if she doesn't know the 'older group' exists, she wont know that anythng else exists for the kids club. I am sure she will have a great time regardless of what group she can play with - she's gonna be on a cruise - what could be better then that ;).

We moved an "almost 6" year old up to join her older brother and my daughter when we were on Sensation. They said it would be on a "trial basis" but it turned out to be fine. When we were on Elation, I overheard a mom demanding that her 4 year old had to stay with her 9 year old - that request was denied. I think it's all in the way you ask and if it makes sense ;) which in your case it does. Have a great cruise!

We moved an "almost 6" year old up to join her older brother and my daughter when we were on Sensation. They said it would be on a "trial basis" but it turned out to be fine. When we were on Elation, I overheard a mom demanding that her 4 year old had to stay with her 9 year old - that request was denied. I think it's all in the way you ask and if it makes sense ;) which in your case it does. Have a great cruise!

I think it also depends on how many children are onboard and of what ages. If the next age group is already jam packed, they'd likely not let a slightly younger one move up. Plus, there are counselors who will be sticklers for the rules. I'm sure that attitude does matter, especially because so many parents will come to the counselors with "my extremely mature X year old who needs to move up..."

Amazing that a parent would think it appropriate in the children's program to have a 4 year old move up or a 9 year old move down two age groups. Neither could possibly be appropriate. My take is that it's better for the 4 year old to get used to not having the older sibling there at all times. After all, he or she would have been starting school pretty soon and needs to have some "alone" time to get used to it, at least IMO.

beachchick

I think it also depends on how many children are onboard and of what ages. If the next age group is already jam packed, they'd likely not let a slightly younger one move up. Plus, there are counselors who will be sticklers for the rules. I'm sure that attitude does matter, especially because so many parents will come to the counselors with "my extremely mature X year old who needs to move up..."

Amazing that a parent would think it appropriate in the children's program to have a 4 year old move up or a 9 year old move down two age groups. Neither could possibly be appropriate. My take is that it's better for the 4 year old to get used to not having the older sibling there at all times. After all, he or she would have been starting school pretty soon and needs to have some "alone" time to get used to it, at least IMO.

beachchick

I agree. We tend to travel during off peak times so I am sure of those age levels were full, then the counselors wouldn't have allowed it.

With my girls, we want to keep them separated in the clubs so they have their own experience. They are 4 years apart so they have very different interests. The only time we have ever had any real problem was at a CCL kids dinner when my youngest was having a particularly emotional day - she wanted to sit with her older sister at dinner. I asked and received permission for them to sit together at the buffet meal. But when they arrived in their separate groups, the counselors didn't allow the little sister to sit with the big one and an emotional breakdown followed after they dragged her away from the table. They called me. I had to come get her. I was so happy I had gotten advanced permission ;) lol

Archived