fishing in Kenai

nvjerry

I haven't been in the area for almost 25 years but as I recall the "silvers" (Silver Salmon)should be running at that time. The fishing regulations are very complex and make sure you follow the rules. A ticket from the game warden can be very exspensive and I do remember seeing a game Warden with hot pants... I won't tell you where she was wearing her badge. I'm sure you can imagine. Anything can happen when fishing in Alaska. The Russian river is a good place to check out. Tim

You will be inundated with information on guided fishing, charters, etc. The best thing is to decide what kind of fishing you want to do - deep sea halibut and ling cod, saltwater trolling for salmon, drifting the river in a small boat, fishing from the bank, fly-fishing, etc. and look for someone who offers it. Remember though that the rivers are often crowded, especially on weekends with people down from Anchorage.

If you have a Toursaver coupn book (which also has 2-for-1 coupn for the Keani Princess), you'll find two fishing companies we have used. Fish Alaska and RW's charters. Both further down the Sterling Highlway toward Soldatna. Both excellent, Fish Alaska is friendlier. Take a guide -- silver salmon are clever and the guide knows how to get them.

Will be staying at the Princess Kenai Lodge in Sept. Any info on fishing while there? Best tour guide company? personal experience? Types of fishing?

Thanks for any input.

When I went, I called Kenai Cache, you can look up their web site. They fixed us up with a guide, license, and gear. Having a guide was the way to go, when I broke my line, the guide was right here with another pole. And when I had a fish on, the guide was there with the net. It was an awsome experience. Kenai Cache is very close to the Princess Kenai Lodge. Give them a call and see what salmon might be running. Be sure to make a reservation for a guide. You can always cancel later if your plans change, but guides do book up. It was a lot of fun, and I hope you can go fishing too.

Have fun,

Steve

Archived