is pink slime used in guy's burgers?

H82seaUgo

Wrong or right, I dont worry too much about this stuff and eat what I like. But I am curious as to the looonnggg term effects of these chemicals. Autism as an example. 20 years ago you never heard of this but now.....is it because of chemicals in food or vacinations....?

Autism, or ADD and ADHD for that matter, has not increased. We just have a name for Dear Uncle Fred's behavior differences now...

I'm with you there, friend. The more food I can catch/shoot/grow the better. Too bad I am a terrible gardner....;):)

Jersey beefsteak tomatoes.You dont know what your missing

Id rather have your lobster though :)

A message from Seafood country to Beef country: you'd be shocked to see what's in your fishsticks;)

I have a cousin who worked in a Campbell's Soup plant which made chicken noodle soup. She said she would never eat it after seeing the process with the chicken. Fishsticks, chicken, beef, whatever.........just label it. Now you have me curious about fishsticks. :D

We found a fish hook when I was a kid...

Haha, seriously? That's fantastic. They don't use hooks to catch anything that goes into fishsticks these days, mostly either dragging or gill-netting. Pollock, Dogfish, Skate...same stuff they make 'fake' crabmeat out of. Of course, higher end fishsticks are sometimes haddock or cod, but the cheaper brands are pretty much anything with fins. Watch out for 'various whitefish' named in the ingredients;)

All this pink slime talk has made me hungry! Making me some spaghetti with meat marinara sauce. Asked the butcher for a EXTRA helping of pink slime and had him throw in some mad cow too just for good measure.

What doesnt kill ya, makes ya stronger!

Haha, seriously? That's fantastic. They don't use hooks to catch anything that goes into fishsticks these days, mostly either dragging or gill-netting. Pollock, Dogfish, Skate...same stuff they make 'fake' crabmeat out of. Of course, higher end fishsticks are sometimes haddock or cod, but the cheaper brands are pretty much anything with fins. Watch out for 'various whitefish' named in the ingredients;)

isnt skate also used for fake scallops

Just look at the 300 ingredients in fish sticks ,google some and see how bad processed food is.Its to be honest a crime that our government let theses companies sell these chemicals in food

I live in beef country and the controversy is the fact that what was once used for dog food was approved by the USDA and allowed to be used in ground beef with no labeling requirement. As consumers we have a right to know what is in our food that we purchase. I'm glad many of you here are fine with pink slime in your ground beef, but for those of us who prefer not to have it in our food, label it and we all can make the choice at the market.

Agreed!!

I don't know, but I'm guessing no.

I just heard about this in the past few days and it seems like it was being used primarily in fast food type restaurants. One article I read said it was a filler used in the production of low fat ground meats and processed meats. So based on that and since a Guy's burger is ANYTHING but low fat, I'm going to say no, they aren't using it.

The article also said the major supplier of pink slime has halted production in 3 of it's 4 plants due to lower demand.

And about 300 to 400 people are going to loose their jobs if they stop producing "pink slime". Which does not sound to bad, until you realize the town it is in is about 1500 to 2000 people.

Besides the thought of "pink slime" this is going to be very bad.

I love how the media has branded this as "pink slime". I doubt that that is the official name of it.

Curious if there would be the same reaction if they just called it "beef by products". Gotta love the media!:rolleyes:

Or call it what it is, "fattless beef"

Take a look on ANY label in your cupboard with a list of 40 things you have no idea what they are, ground coffee 5% unknown (bugs, bug poop, etc), cheese that you don't have to refrigerate, bottled water filled from a rusty tap in a farmers field. Unless you live off the land - kill and raise your own food you are at the mercy of the food production industry. I have lived for almost 60 years ingesting this STUFF and still healthy.

[/color]

And about 300 to 400 people are going to loose their jobs if they stop producing "pink slime". Which does not sound to bad, until you realize the town it is in is about 1500 to 2000 people.

Besides the thought of "pink slime" this is going to be very bad.

Many people have already lost their jobs. One producer has closed 3 of 4 plants, another producer has reduced production. This is a direct result of social outcry and large consumers, like schools and other food service organizations no longer purchasing the same ground beef. One must also consider the impact to the supply chain in the beef industry. Approx 1.5 million additional head of cattle will be required to make up the difference of the products formally used. Cattle shortages are alive and well in this country right now, this is only going to create an increase in the cost of beef.

Truth is, it's not bad for you, but it's up to you what you put in your body.

My advice, get educated, study the facts of the case, not the social uproar, then make your own decision.

I also agree with the poster that indicated "labeling" as a solution. Label it and let people decide at the market.

I also agree with the poster that indicated "labeling" as a solution. Label it and let people decide at the market.

Label it and i guarantee 95% of people wont care. They will see ground beef that is 5 dollars a pound, and ground beef that is 3 dollars a pound and they will reach for the 3 dollars a pound without thinking twice.

Fact is 6 months ago no one cared that it was in their ground beef then and 6 months from now they will again not care. The whole thing is a nonissue that was created by a couple gross videos on Facebook.

Label it and i guarantee 95% of people wont care. They will see ground beef that is 5 dollars a pound, and ground beef that is 3 dollars a pound and they will reach for the 3 dollars a pound without thinking twice.

Fact is 6 months ago no one cared that it was in their ground beef then and 6 months from now they will again not care. The whole thing is a nonissue that was created by a couple gross videos on Facebook.

No I don't think that's true. If it were....there would be no name brand products left on the shelves....everyone would be buying the lower cost store brands. And grocery stores wouldn't sell any of the leaner more expensive meats because they cost more. I'd be happy to pay more for slime free hamburger! There are millions of shoppers willing to pay more for quality....and in my mind a slime free burger is a better burger. ;)

No I don't think that's true. If it were....there would be no name brand products left on the shelves....everyone would be buying the lower cost store brands. And grocery stores wouldn't sell any of the leaner more expensive meats because they cost more. I'd be happy to pay more for slime free hamburger! There are millions of shoppers willing to pay more for quality....and in my mind a slime free burger is a better burger. ;)

Yep, I'll pay double or more for the slime free stuff. If I don't like the price then I won't buy ground beef. Maybe I will buy a roast instead, at least I am buying one solid piece of meat. The slime is not an option now that I am aware of it.

Just curious, exactly what are you aware of? What does pink slime mean to you?

Sam question to any other poster that wants to respond...

To me it means that the ground beef that I thought was just that...ground beef, is not.

I have a huge problem with that.

On my current wish list is a meat grinder. I plan on grinding my own. Until then, I will buy from a store that does not sell beef made with the slime crap.

My shopping has changed drastically over the years. Knowledge is a good thing and for me, getting back to basics is what I am doing. No more processed crap and I try to buy free range organic meats when the prices don't kill me.

You are what you eat...truly.

Someone said people will grab the cheaper meat. I disagree. We buy the leanest meat available, which is also the most expensive. We don't buy our meat from places like Walmart either because even their "lean" meat is extremely greasy. We get our meat from a small local grocery that processes the meat and it comes from local farms.

I'm well aware of what is in food. I tend to read the labels. I know what carmine is and I know about red coloring in food.:D

Archived