Cruising on the Freedom in 4 Days! Questions Galore!

mebfalcon

This is our second cruise but I feel like I still have many questions and things I don't remember from the first one. Guess we will have to cruise more often so I get better at it. My husband and I are cruising with our 2 teens on the Freedom. We have two interior rooms 7324 and 7320. Any input on those rooms.

1. I'm a little concerned about the interior room. I hear they are very dark. I have a night light packed. Does the Freedom have a channel that has a webcam of the outside? I read this on a board and thought that was a great idea. Kind of like a window.

2. Does Carnival still offer drink of the day cards. Seems when we sailed 3 years ago we bought a card that gave us one drink of the day each day.

3. Last time I bought a bunch of stuff for sea sickness but didn't use any of it. Should I buy it again just in case?

4. My husband has problems with lactose. Will they have any lactose free milk available?

I'm sure I will have more but that's it for now. Thanks for these great boards. They are so helpful.

Yes, they do still have the webcam.

I have not seen a DOD card.

I copied this from Carnival's website

Do you accommodate special diets onboard?

Special Diet Requirements - Food Allergies

Most simple diet requirements can be accommodated on board. We do not have Dieticians on board; therefore, we can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation (including no cross-contamination) of menu items. If you have a food allergy, please consult with our dining staff for assistance with meal options and food preparations. Arrangements for all special diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's Head Waiter on the first night of the cruise.

Lunch and dinner menus in the main dining room feature Spa Carnival selections which are:

Lower in calories

Lower in sodium

Lower in cholesterol

Lower in fat

A vegetarian entrée (trans fat free).

Designated by a special menu symbol, the Spa Carnival items are accompanied by a listing of the number of calories and grams of fat contained within each selection; the number of carbohydrate grams per dish is listed beneath each low carbohydrate selection.

Depending on the diet, the following applies:

Poultry and meats are broiled or roasted.

A low carbohydrate prepared appetizer, salad and entree selection.

Reduced carbohydrate, trans fat free bread selection will be available each evening, on request.

Salads are prepared with low-fat or fat-free dressings.

Desserts are prepared with Sweet n’ Low or NutraSweet instead of sugar.

Low-cholesterol egg substitute is available as well as diet jellies and sugar-free syrup.

Trans Fat: Carnival stopped using cooking oils containing trans fats in 2005. While most items among the cuisine choices are already trans fat free, we are conducting a detailed analysis of remaining items that can be replaced with trans-fat-free variations and are working with vendors to find suitable alternatives. We began moving away from ingredients containing trans fats two years ago, motivated simply by a desire to take the healthiest possible approach to food preparation and menu offerings in the interest of our guests’ well-being. Carnival’s latest initiative to eliminate trans fats is slated to advance over the course of the next six months as the company continues to identify and replace additional items.

Baby Food and Formula: Baby food and formula are not available on board.

Miscellaneous Food Items:

Distilled Water: May be purchased on board from the Housekeeping Department.

The following milk is available on board:

2%

Skim Milk

Chocolate Milk

Plain Soy Milk

The following sweeteners are available on board in addition to sugar:

Splenda (yellow)

Sweet n’ Low (pink)

Equal (blue)

This is our second cruise but I feel like I still have many questions and things I don't remember from the first one. Guess we will have to cruise more often so I get better at it. My husband and I are cruising with our 2 teens on the Freedom. We have two interior rooms 7324 and 7320. Any input on those rooms.

1. I'm a little concerned about the interior room. I hear they are very dark. I have a night light packed. Does the Freedom have a channel that has a webcam of the outside? I read this on a board and thought that was a great idea. Kind of like a window.

2. Does Carnival still offer drink of the day cards. Seems when we sailed 3 years ago we bought a card that gave us one drink of the day each day.

3. Last time I bought a bunch of stuff for sea sickness but didn't use any of it. Should I buy it again just in case?

4. My husband has problems with lactose. Will they have any lactose free milk available?

I'm sure I will have more but that's it for now. Thanks for these great boards. They are so helpful.

Lordy - previous poster was able to answer lots for you - that's what I love about this board. We did b2b on the Freedom and loved it. Interior room is very dark - we left the bathroom light on and it came under door for enough light. TV does have web cam also you can find out the MDR menu every day and check on your S&S card on TV. Don't recall any kind of DOD card but we don't drink those kind of drinks so wasn't an issue. I would take sea sickness meds just in case - doesn't take up any kind of room and they are expensive on board. Lactose question was already answered. Have an awesome time. Make sure to order room service, go to Trivia games, some much to do so little time eh. If you have specific questions my email is under my profile - feel free to contact me.

I did not like the hair dryers on the Freedom. You have to keep your finger on a button for it to work. I will bring my own hair dryer next time. I heard this was to prevent a fire but I was on the Eurodam last year and they had great hair dryers without having to keep a button pushed.

I sail in inside cabins almost everytime and they are dark, but there is a crack under the bathroom door and we usually leave the light on. There is a channel that will show the forward and aft webcams so you can see what the weather is doing.

They do have hairdryers but they aren't very strong so if you have thick hair you might bring your own.

Soy milk is available at the buffet, MDR and room service.

The DOD card has given way to a sticker that is placed on your S&S card, to discourage people from sharing. Many bartenders will actually swipe your card before they serve you just to ensure that it's your picture that comes up and they won't serve 2 glasses at a time.

Agree about the hairdryers! Just off the Liberty and they are the same. Your thumb gets quite a workout trying to hold down the button and style your hair. I plan to take my own next time! Years ago I took a power strip when we cruised, but now I have downsized to an adapter I plug into the one outlet in the cabin, that converts it to three outlets. You could buy that and a nightlight from the dollar store and take that along. Even in a balcony cabin it gets so dark you can't tell if it's day or night, and we usually leave the bathroom light on as well.

Archived