QV...Perhaps???

QueensFan

I was just thinking....this month, the Arcadia, which would have been the Queen Victoria, set out on her maiden voyage. When she was transferred to P&O, she was basically just a keel.

I also thought about how we have seen zip-zilch-nada of the new QV. That got me thinking....this is a very long time between the cancelling of the original version of a ship and the announcement of a new one.

Also, she has been delayed a LOT.

Maybe Cunard is fabricating a REAL ocean liner for us. Something more along the lines of a "mini-QM2". This is what we all wanted from this ship, and I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, this time interval might mean something.

Anyone else think this?

my personal opinion is that cunard (or carnival/princess) is waiting to see how well the QM2 will continue to sell before committing to a new ocean liner. last year in the heat of all the publicity of QM2's first season she obviously sold very well and plans fohe QV were altered to more of an ocean liner than the vista class type ship of holland america. this year, however they are discounting QM2. obviously this means the demand is nowhere near as high and a second ocean liner might not be what they want or need. it could be awhile before they commit to any kind of QV. of course, i could be all wrong. it wouldnt be the first time!!!

my personal opinion is that cunard (or carnival/princess) is waiting to see how well the QM2 will continue to sell before committing to a new ocean liner. last year in the heat of all the publicity of QM2's first season she obviously sold very well and plans fohe QV were altered to more of an ocean liner than the vista class type ship of holland america. this year, however they are discounting QM2. obviously this means the demand is nowhere near as high and a second ocean liner might not be what they want or need. it could be awhile before they commit to any kind of QV. of course, i could be all wrong. it wouldnt be the first time!!!

I think you may be correct. The ridiculous discounting of QM2's trans-Atlantic crossings indicates that they are having trouble filling the ship, no great surprise to anyone with half an idea about what attracts and retains the loyalty of that niche market, which has sustained QE2 all these years. Carnival's decision to move their terminal from the history-laden Manhatten piers to Brooklyn/Redhook further indicates how little they know or care for the grand tradition Cunard used to maintain.

If we are lucky Carnival/Cunard will drop the idea of building the Queen Victoria, a smaller but equally ugly version of Queen Mary 2, and keep QE2 through 2010 at least. If they were really smart they would return QE2 to the trans-Atlantic service she was built for and send QM2 off on the margarita runs so popular with the cruising set.

If we are lucky Carnival/Cunard will return QE2 to the trans-Atlantic service...

Richard, I've read else where that the old girl is past it - her aluminium superstructure is cracking & she simply can no longer take the hammering a season of trans-Atlantic crossings dishes out - hence she's being confined to calmer waters in her dotage, with the odd foray across the pond. Comes to us all in the end.....

Peter

QE2 was also heavily discounted her last few years of transatlantic service as well. Cunard offered $699.00 for some crossings in 2002. The QM2 was designed from the start to be able to be profitable even with deep discounts.

yes, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that if they didnt need to they wouldnt be giving discounts, especially in her second season. the problem for me was QM2 is a ship with a split personality. shes built like an ocean liner yet on both my crossings i felt more like i was on a cruise ship than a transatlantic liner. i never had this feeling on QE2. this is what happens when you try to be all things to all people.

We were at a reception for Cunard World Club last month towards the end of the QE2 World Cruise. Dell, from the cruise sales office, who formerly was on Caronia and has worked aboard QM2 recently, was co-hosting with Roma along with the captain of course, Capt Nick Bates (whom we really liked and enjoyed). The ladies each spoke over the microphone to the several hundred guests. Dell mentioned Queen Victoria and that she had seen some new drawings and it looks as if she will have the same bow as QE2 and some similarity in lines to QE2! 2007 launch (I THINK she said late 2007). We found that encouraging. No mention over the super structure being built for true blue water - or just another cruise ship hull. Let's hope the former rather than the later. So, finally a little bit of news about Queen Victoria from Cunard. Dell also made a push for QM2 and all its merits. No mention in QV talk about single staterooms.

Photographers were on board QE2 and another day overhead via helicopter shooting for 2007 Cunard brochure according to Capt. Bates in a general announcement.

Archived