No question is too stupid, right?!?

Kverlinger

ok..so...I grew up on the east coast and i am very aware of hurricane season. Now, that I moved to Wash 1 month ago and booked splendor in aug(leaves out of cail)...i was wondering how bad the west coast is effected by hurricanes. I guess I just have always heard about hurricanes hitting flordia/new orleans/ and other eastern states...never heard of them in cali. So, should that be something I need to keep in mind for our upcoming cruise? Sorry if this is stupid.. :o

ok..so...I grew up on the east coast and i am very aware of hurricane season. Now, that I moved to Wash 1 month ago and booked splendor in aug(leaves out of cail)...i was wondering how bad the west coast is effected by hurricanes. I guess I just have always heard about hurricanes hitting flordia/new orleans/ and other eastern states...never heard of them in cali. So, should that be something I need to keep in mind for our upcoming cruise? Sorry if this is stupid.. :o

We get them but in my exp they are not as bad as east coast blows. Remember though your not sailing to Calif your sailing way down in Mexico so they do get them rougher then we do up on the coast. Hope that helps!!

:)

No hurricanes on the west coast!:)

Well, there are hurricanes (well, typhoons since it's the Pacific Ocean), but they normally either hit Mexico are carried back out to sea - so the threat of a typhoon is not as big as say living in Florida would be. Actual typhoons have never hit California (usually hits Baja California), just remnants. The waters around California are too cold to support typhoons.

When we took our first cruise last July on the Splendor there was a hurricane off the coast off Mexico (Hurricane Dora I believe). From the first night the captain kept us up to date with what was going on with it. They ended up switching our 2nd Cabo day with Puerta Vallarta and then we went back to Cabo the next day. We got an AWESOME lighting/rain storm just before we left Puerta Vallarta due to the hurricane!! Other then that everything was fine, they totally were aware and kept us aware of what was going on and I never once felt uneasy about it!

I think a hurricane in the pacific ocean is called a cyclone.

That is what they are called in the South Pacific, not on the west coast of Mexico. On the West Coast of Mexico they are still called hurricanes and they only get one or two low level ones a year and in all the years I lived in California I never heard of them having a hurricane or tornado. To the OP, don't worry, your chances of sailing into a hurricane so very slim. Enjoy the Splendor, she is beautiful

Hurricanes are still hurricanes in the eastern Pacific, they only become typhoons if they are in the very western pacific. Typically they will track more to the northwest, just like hurricanes in the Atlantic, but will die out before they do to much damage because they will hit cold waters before they reach any large landmass because the Pacific is too large. This may be to technical, but ocean currents in the N Hemispehere flow clockwise meaning that cold water flows south along the west coast preventing hurricanes from affecting much of the Pac coast, however there is a warm counter current that storms can get caught up in that will push them over into Baja which will track to the NE up into New Mexico and even Texas. These storms are typically weak due to the short time they have to develop before making landfall. Sorry if that was a bit much, I love studying hurricanes.

Are you sure? I always thought "cyclone" was another name for a tornado.

Isnt cyclone what Dorthy calls the tornado in The Wizard of Oz?? :D:p

Air around any area of low pressure moves cyclonically, thus any weather event that forms around a low can be a cyclone, be it a tornado or a hurricane.

Back in 2007 when DW and I went on our honeymoon to the Mexican Riviera, the cruise 2 weeks prior to us had some ports cancelled due to a hurricane. I did some research back then and it doesn't happen very often that hurricanes cause any issues on the west coast. It happens but is nothing to really worry about.

Air around any area of low pressure moves cyclonically, thus any weather event that forms around a low can be a cyclone, be it a tornado or a hurricane.

And then, of course, there are various sports teams with the name "Cyclones", but that has nothing to do with the weather. Wonder if there's ever been a time when a sports team named "Cyclones" went as a group on a cruise and encountered a cyclone? Wouldn't that be ironic?:eek:

And then, of course, there are various sports teams with the name "Cyclones", but that has nothing to do with the weather. Wonder if there's ever been a time when a sports team named "Cyclones" went as a group on a cruise and encountered a cyclone? Wouldn't that be ironic?:eek:

there's even a ride in coney island. yet, live in ny my whole life, and have yet to be there.

Archived