Veendam Tour Question

crusinlover

My husband & I are going on the Veendam to Bermuda in June. Besides the Bermuda Triangle Snorkeling excursion through the ship & walking/shopping in Hamilton, we're interested in going to Horseshoe Bay Beach, the Crystal Caves & St. George for walking/shopping. Since it'll only be the 2 of us, I would appreciate advice on which option would be the best choice in touring..a private tour guide (which might be expensive since we wouldn't be sharing the expense) or just bus/taxi to these sights? Thanks for any ideas!

My husband & I are going on the Veendam to Bermuda in June. Besides the Bermuda Triangle Snorkeling excursion through the ship & walking/shopping in Hamilton, we're interested in going to Horseshoe Bay Beach, the Crystal Caves & St. George for walking/shopping. Since it'll only be the 2 of us, I would appreciate advice on which option would be the best choice in touring..a private tour guide (which might be expensive since we wouldn't be sharing the expense) or just bus/taxi to these sights? Thanks for any ideas!

Get a bus pass and use the bus system. One of the many good things about Veendam is that she docks in Hamilton. All the bus routes begin in Hamilton, so it's easy to work out a plan for going to the places you want to see. You can buy the bus pass at the bus station, which is just a few blocks walk from the dock.

Just a few bits of advice:

When you get to the bus stop for Horseshoe Bay, you'll have a long walk down a hill to the beach. This isn't bad, but the walk back up is tough. There's a nice man with a van who charges a small fee (it was $2 a few years ago) to drive people back up the hill. Possibly the best $2 I ever spent in Bermuda! Horseshoe Bay has food. Most of it is fast-food--burgers, etc. But they also have sandwiches, which are better than the burgers. Check the menu sign carefully, and you'll see what sandwiches they have. I believe they have adult beverages there, too. I recall having rum swizzles with our sandwiches.

I recommend you save seeing Hamilton for the last morning. We never like to be too far from the ship on the last day because HAL captains like to depart on time. Do take time to look at the Cathedral, it's lovely.

Archived