LIVE fron the APRIL 1st CARIBBEAN PRINCESS- PICS and REVIEW

MDSue

I think all of us should get together for a drink at sail away to celebrate! Being on the CC boards has helped me weather this storm of uncertainty!

You all DESERVE IT!!! Heck, Princess should foot the bar bill at sailaway just as a thank-you.

She is running at 18+ knots! Max rated is +/-22knots... Shes looking good....

Link of her status below...

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=310423000&centerx=-65.9619&centery=18.71829&zoom=10&type_color=6#

This website is aaaaaaaaaawesome!

Received this from Princess around 1:30 am EST:

UPDATED INFORMATION: CARIBBEAN PRINCESS DEPARTING APRIL 1

We are pleased to advise repairs to Caribbean Princess' port propulsion motor have been completed.

Embarkation will begin on schedule at 1:00 pm and we plan to sail on time. There are no planned changes to your cruise itinerary.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Looks like the cruise that almost wasn't, will actually take place! Bon voyage to all my fellow April 1 cruisers and thanks again to Susan for her terrific postings!

HURRAY!!!! :eek: :D :p :D :D

The web-site based on AIS data shows Caribbean Princess as out of range.

The Caribbean Princess' webcam still shows out at sea with no coastline in sight.

The Caribbean Princess' last voluntarily reported position on Sailwx.info was over six hours ago about 100 miles out give or take.

I thought they were supposed to being boarding by now.

The web-site based on AIS data shows Caribbean Princess as out of range.

The Caribbean Princess' webcam still shows out at sea with no coastline in sight.

The Caribbean Princess' last voluntarily reported position on Sailwx.info was over six hours ago about 100 miles out give or take.

I thought they were supposed to being boarding by now.

Someone mentioned that boarding is tomorrow (4/1) and it's in the evening I think.

Good to see she's back in action, we were on for 11-25th march B2B but obviously it went wrong.

We went to condado beach one day, you must be in the hotel right on the beach then?

I took this panoramic from the beach there, its a lovely place.

condado-pano-2-JPEG-X2.jpg

Absolutely lovely shot- I need to try the panoramic feature on my camera.

We are at the hotel right by this beach

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all the well-wishes!

We had a leisurely breakfast in Condado this morning and then grabbed a bus to Old San Juan. I'm glad I discovered the buses- it cost 75 cents each way compared to $15 dollars by taxi. The bus stop was right outside the hotel and it took us to downtown OSJ. They are clean and air-conditioned and run fairly frequently. We only waited a few minutes to catch one heading into town and about 15-20 minutes for the bus back- very painless.

I absolutely love OSJ and returning brought back fond memories. We stopped at some of our favorite shops and discovered a few more.

We are back at the hotel and I feel a nap calling. Going to upload today's pictures and will post shortly.

My Shipmate mobile app has the CB heading east about 75 miles NNE of Tortola. Unfourtunately it does not give the speed. Umm' date=' isn't it about time to turn around? It best not be headed for Freeport.[/quote']

They wouldn't do that to us:eek:- would love to have access to your app. Sadly, I don't have a smart phone yet. I'll be anxiously awaiting it's arrival back at the Pan Am pier.

My Shipmate mobile app has the CB heading east about 75 miles NNE of Tortola. Unfourtunately it does not give the speed. Umm' date=' isn't it about time to turn around? It best not be headed for Freeport.[/quote']

Can u provide a link for this program for PC's? I can't find the ship on MarineTraffic.com. Thanks

Since this is my fourth visit to San Juan, I've been lucky enough to discover a few favorite and off-the-beaten path places to eat, shop, and visit. Today, we went by a few familiar and a few new places

For breakfast we walked to a local ocean-front restaurant in Condado and were lucky enough to get a front row view of the ocean. The food is great and the people working there are nice.

The name of the restaurant is Hacienda Don Jose

This was our view from our table:

OldSanJuanMarch312012016.jpg

view of the interior- a laid-back, casual atmosphere with beautiful murals on the walls

OldSanJuanMarch312012026.jpg

view from the road- on Condado Ave, a few doors down from the Conrad Condado

OldSanJuanMarch312012030.jpg

After breakfast, we walked down to the bus stop in front of the local Condado beach located here. This is a great place to swim without getting battered by waves

OldSanJuanMarch312012036.jpg

After about a 15 minute bus ride to OSJ, we walked down to the waterfront where we stopped by the Harley Davidson shop to pick up a few t-shirts for my sister and my husband, who is holding down the fort at home (for some unknown reason- he does not like to cruise, but luckily my sister does)

There is a tall-ship replica of the HMS Bounty docked at the waterfront that appeared in a few of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. We decided to pay the $10 entry fee to take a tour of the ship. It was actually pretty cool and all the people onboard were really nice. There was a Johnny Depp -Captain Jack Sparrow look alike onboard. My sister is a huge fan and made sure she had her picture taken with him.

Pics of Old San Juan coming next...

Sue - When you get on the ship tomorrow, can you let us know if they're running any internet minute specials? Someone is live posting from the Ruby and they said they were having a special of 500 minutes for $59! I was wondering if that is fleet-wide or just that ship. Would be awesome if the CB had it too (but I'm not holding my breath!).

From the waterfront, we headed uphill to Playa De Armes- a nice square with lots of people and even more pigeons. Today, they had a lot of local artists selling their wares in the square. I met a lovely local woman who had some paintings that caught my eye, so I bought one of her smaller paintings. I like to buy local handicrafts in the islands more so than stuff made in China with an island logo painted on.

The artist's name was Mary Ann Yakowski. She says the artists come every first and last weekend of the month.

OldSanJuanMarch312012052.jpg

OldSanJuanMarch312012053.jpg

Here are some pictures of the square, but don't do it justice

OldSanJuanMarch312012060.jpg

OldSanJuanMarch312012050.jpg

This drug store is right across the street from the Walgreens at Plaza De Armes- it has lots of necessities and souveniers as well. We like to travel light and pick up items like suntan lotion and sodas at a local store before heading to the ship

OldSanJuanMarch312012065.jpg

Going to head to dinner and will try and post more pics later. We plan to watch the ships in port depart tonight

Sue - When you get on the ship tomorrow, can you let us know if they're running any internet minute specials? Someone is live posting from the Ruby and they said they were having a special of 500 minutes for $59! I was wondering if that is fleet-wide or just that ship. Would be awesome if the CB had it too (but I'm not holding my breath!).

That would be wonderful- because the Internet is slower than molasses on the ships. I'm worried I'll have trouble uploading pics once onboard. Will let you know.

Where on marinetraffic? It just shows CP out of range.

She just showed up again on marinetraffic. She looks to be about 30 miles north of San Juan. This makes sense because Serenade and Summit just left their berths there.

I kinda hope the engineering staff, who worked 24/7 to get things fixed in time for the 4/1 cruise, got treated to some R&R on this shakedown. Maybe half on the outbound leg and the other half on the return leg? They sure deserve it.

:)

While in Old San Juan, did you get a chance to visit the fort? It is an interesting walk out there. We stayed in at the "El Convento" hotel right in old San Juan pre cruise.A beautiful OLD hotel converted from an OLD convent.

Edited by Matcodixon

She just showed up again on marinetraffic. She looks to be about 30 miles north of San Juan. This makes sense because Serenade and Summit just left their berths there.

We watched the Serenade and the Summit depart tonight, and I could see a ship far in the distance. I'm guessing that was the CB headed back into San Juan.