Does your entire party get to go with you for the handicap embarkation?

petesweet

When DH and I sailed on the Fantasy last winter, we were treated like royalty because of his physical limitations. It was just the two of us.

Now we are a family group of seven going on the same ship. We are all using the same credit card, and I think that would make it difficult to check in separately. Does anyone know if the entire group of seven can take the shortened route onto the ship offered to handicapped passengers?

Thanks.

Kathy

If you are all on the same card, seems like you will all check in together. Since you are all not in the same cabing though, I am thinking just the folks occupying the handicapped cabin will get to board and the others will board later. I could be incorrect as I have never experienced this before.

We also have someone traveling with us in a wheelchair, i had no idea that there was a special line..thanks..we have 3 cabins party of 7.

On the Fantasy there is a long, steep ramp others use, but those with mobility problems are allowed to use the crew entrance and take the elevator up. Very nice.

Kathy

Being handicap, we have gone on several cruises and those with us have had no problem boarding at the same time. Not saying this will the same in your case, but we and those traveling with us have never had an issue with no being able to board at the same time.

Last year on the Elation they boarded all of us together, however this year on the Fantasy they only allowed one of us to board with our daughter who has special needs. At the time I thought it must be decided by the person making the decisions at the moment.

Happy cruising.

Last year on the Elation they boarded all of us together, however this year on the Fantasy they only allowed one of us to board with our daughter who has special needs. At the time I thought it must be decided by the person making the decisions at the moment.

Happy cruising.

I think you are right.....must be decided by the person making the decisions at the momet.

We are a family of 4, 2 children 12 & 11. They told my dh he can take 2 people with him. lol, which two does he take.....2 kids, me and 1 child lol

He asked about all 4 of us, they said 'NO'

He said he would wait in regular line with the rest of his family :)

Then the CCL lady said "ok, all 4 go" :D

BUT we were also travelling with another family of 4 and they HAD to use regular line!

The rule is supposed to be that only one person can accompany the handicapped person. But I've seen whole families (some as large as 20) be allowed early embarkation.

I don't think it's right, but most shoreside agents would rather take the easy route than do their job and enforce the rules.

We have had it go both ways... With the exception of our 1st cruise - we have always brought along another family member or friend to help us with our special needs son (so that DH and I can have at least a little time alone - but still be close enough if help is needed).

On our 2nd, 4th and 5th cruises the whole group was able to board together (maximum of 5 of us total)... but on the 3rd cruise - they only allowed DH to board with our son. It meant that we couldn't have the group photo of us boarding the ship... but the whole purpose is to save our DS the grief of standing in long lines... so the purpose was served.

This is not really a simple answer, because it depends on many items. First, for the poster that said it isn't fair that the whole party gets to go on a special line. It's not a special line, it's a line designed to help people in chairs or poor mobility, such as elevator access etc. If "everyone" used the elevators than the lines would be hopelessly long for everyone. It's not easy making your way onto a ship with a wheelchair. Ramps, bumps, and obstacles are everywhere.

Next, it might depend on who is in the party. Are you talking about kids or are the extra people in different staterooms, and are adults? The credit care really does not matter. All that matters is who is in the stateroom and who is an adult. A party of 20 does not need to board together, but this topic always changes to "what is fair" and what is needed.

So to the poster, it doesn't really matter, as long as the person gets on the ship safely, than you can always meet on the ship easlily. Just go with the flow when you get there and all will be good.

When DH and I sailed on the Fantasy last winter, we were treated like royalty because of his physical limitations. It was just the two of us.

Now we are a family group of seven going on the same ship. We are all using the same credit card, and I think that would make it difficult to check in separately. Does anyone know if the entire group of seven can take the shortened route onto the ship offered to handicapped passengers?

Thanks.

Kathy

The "official" rules state that only one person can board with a mobility-impaired guest. However, there are usually three of us (one in a wheelchair and 2 others), and we've never had a problem boarding together. But, with 7 in your group, you may not be able to do it. I think it probably will depend on what kind of mood the person in charge of it is.

Good luck!

It seems like it may depend as others have said. When we went on the

Dream last June we were in a group of 10 and my nephew is handicap

but we were all able to board at the same time. It did end up working

out well since we got to have a group pic taken as soon as we boarded and if we were seperated we wouldn't have.

Happy cruising.

I appreciate all the responses. Since your experience is on the Fantasy, as will ours be, I probably should make arrangements ahead of time for us to be separated. Need to let the others use different credit card(s) and decide where to meet up once we get on board. I just like to know ahead of time so there is no confusion at the moment.

Kathy

When traveling with other adults and different cabins, Each carry a piece of medical equipment and you all will go together. We all carried Oxygen tanks or other equipment!!:D

I'm afraid we would have to dismantle DH's walker to try this!!:D

Kathy

The rule is supposed to be that only one person can accompany the handicapped person. But I've seen whole families (some as large as 20) be allowed early embarkation.

I don't think it's right, but most shoreside agents would rather take the easy route than do their job and enforce the rules.

Oh sure, let's let everyone in line use it

Archived