Why to book Fall 2013 Panama Canal now?

snowbow

We have decided that we are going on a Panama Canal in 2013 and picked the dates last night!:D

We had thought we would pick up a future cruise credit in November and and book at that time. Is there any reason to book now if we are not "married" to any particiular cabin, other than I can't wait to have it booked?!?!? Do PC fares increase greatly after initial offerings? I know at this point, I can book/rebook if they do decrease, or if I see some nice OBC.

Funny how things change--our first cruise we booked one month out!

If you don't mind tying up the deposit money now, as you said, you can't really lose by booking now. Prices generally go up, not down...although occasion special offers do occur during the year. I booked our next PC cruise almost a year in advance and the booking is presently about $1800 less than current price. I did however get it during one of the offers. I do like to book early though and then monitor the prices as we get closer to the sail date.

We have decided that we are going on a Panama Canal in 2013 and picked the dates last night!:D

We had thought we would pick up a future cruise credit in November and and book at that time. Is there any reason to book now if we are not "married" to any particiular cabin, other than I can't wait to have it booked?!?!? Do PC fares increase greatly after initial offerings? I know at this point, I can book/rebook if they do decrease, or if I see some nice OBC.

The main thing is you protect yourself from any fare increases.

For the Panama Canal, I would book now and look for any possible pricecdrops. Most cruise lines have one ship doing Panam Canal cruises, so with so fewvto choosevfrom, those ships get booked and you don't often see price drops.

Years ago when there were many more Panama Canl cruises, I would say to wait, but with the lack of ships serving the area, you will usually get better pricing early.

We are booked on the September 30 2013 Panama Canal cruise as well. We have been told by people that have taken the cruise before (and repeatedly) that the Panama Canal cruise starts booking early due to cabin selection. They say it is important to get the best cabin possible while cruising through the Canal. Many swear on the aft cabins and others swear by the Haven suites.

As for the price drops, we booked our cruise a couple of months ago and have already seen a price increase so we are glad we booked when we did.

If you want more info you might check out the Roll Call boards. Our board for the 30th of September has some way cool pix up from previous cruisers; especially while going through the locks. Granted the pix are ones that the cruise line provided in a photo op book, but they are still cool.

Archived