Thomson Dream back to back cruise

Hi

We are going on our first cruise in September a back to back - Roman Epic and Moorish Delights on the Thomson Dream ship. Any tips would be most appreciated especially on recommended excursions as we would not be able to do them all. Anyone done the Classical Sights & Vatican City?

Many thanks

Hi

we're doing that trip too as first timers as well, what dates you going?

I've been looking on here for tips myself, so will be interesting what anyone has to say. Which I'm sure they will because they are really helpful on here, answered a few of my questions already

Hello. Got some tips here:

Moorish Delights:

Tangier - Not really a lot to see here, so would probably recommend doing an excursion. Tangier itself isn't one of the nicest of places either, so a trip is probably advised.

Casablanca - Like Tangier, its not exactly beautiful, but there is probably a bit more to see here. There is the option of going to Marrakech though, but it is rather expensive.

Gibraltar - Very easy to do yourself. Simply get off the ship and walk towards the rock. The walk can take around 30 minutes +, but they may have a shuttle bus service from the port to the main centre of Gibraltar. This has been offered in previous years, but not sure if it was last year or not. At the Rock, there is a cable car that used to cost around €10 (not sure on the price now). Much cheaper than doing the Thomson excursion, plus you can spend as much time as you want there instead of rushing back.

Almeria - Almeria itself is a nice city, with a castle and also a beach area. You do have to pay to get into the castle, but I have heard a tip before that if you bring your passport you can get in free! :confused: Not to sure though on the truth of this as it does seem a bit strange. If you fancy going further afield, I'd probably recommend the Granada Alhambra Palace excursion. Quite expensive though, but worth it - its a beautiful area in the mountains.

Cartagena - There's not a lot to see in Cartagena, but is pleasant enough to have a stroll along the promenade and marina area or go into the main town and do some shopping. I don't think you're there long as the ships leaves early (around 14:00 I think), so there won't be loads of time to explore as you will need to be on the ship for 13:30.

Palma - On the changeover day, I'd definitely recommend exploring Palma. You can walk along the front into the town, take around 45 minutes to walk. Go to the cathedral and also explore the main town. Nice place with plenty of shops and bars. Also, as the ships not leaving till 23:00, you could even eat out for dinner and get a taxi back to the ship, but make sure you get back in plenty of time!! :D

Roman Epic:

Trapani - Not done Trapani myself but it looks like a nice town - lots of bars and cafes. Looks a lot better than Palermo which it seems to have now replaced.

Naples - Definitely recommend an excursion from here. Naples doesn't have a great reputation. Not the most beautiful of Italian towns, plus has a reputation of being the pickpocket city of Italy. Plenty of excursions to choose from: Pompeii is a must-see, the Amalfi coast is absolutely stunning, so is Sorrento. Capri is also beautiful. Definitely would be a long day Naples!

Civitavecchia - Obviously have to visit Rome! In my opinion, the highlight of this whole cruise! If you've never been to Rome before, I'd try the Rome All In One Day, as you get to see most of the sights. I've noticed that you've mentioned the Classical Sights & Vatican City. Not tried this one before as I've always gone on an excursion to see a lot of the sights. With this one though, you will be in the Vatican for most of the trip, with the morning mainly based around the Colosseum.

Calvi - Calvi is beautiful. A really nice town by the sea in Corsica. You could try the Balagna Scenic Drive to discover more of the island, but Calvi itself is a really nice place to wonder around. Its not huge, but perfect to walk around and go into a bar and sip a drink or too.

Palamos - Never been to Palamos, but if you haven't been to Barcelona I'd probably go there. There is the option of doing a full guided tour, but the one on your own is much cheaper. Palamos itself looks to be a nice place though with shops and bars. Be warned though that if you do choose to go to Barcelona it is a 7 hour day, with 3 of those being on a coach. Remember that when you get back you'll need to pack for going home to put your case out before 2 am on Saturday.

Hope this helps! :)

Two great itineraries with Rome most definitely being the highlight! Hope you both enjoy your cruise and Thomson Dream! :D

We've been to Naples twice on cruises and both time have done our own thing. Just next to the ship are the ferries to Capri which is a lovely place to visit. From there we got another ferry to Sorrento which is also beautiful. There's a train called the Vesuviana which runs between Naples and Sorrento stopping at Pompeii and Herculaneum. The train costs peanuts compared with Thomson's excursions.There's info here in the Ports section. We loved Herculaneum - you can walk into the restored buildings and touch walls ( in the UK they'd be fenced off).

The Vesuviana is about 20-30 mins walk from the ship past some lovely take-away food shops for your lunchtime picnic.

We did the Rome on your own trip which drops you off at St Peters Square. From there we got the underground to the Colosseum - wow. It's a very walkable city. When we went (a year ago) people complained about the organized tours in that you were rushed around and the earphones didn't work. Again the Ports section has info as well as good old Google.

What a lovely cruise you're going on - enjoy. Jacqui.

I have been to Palamos. It is a pretty little Spanish seaside town, not anglified like the other more famous resorts. The ship docks in the town and it is pleasant walk around and stop for coffee or a drink. There is a beach which had plenty of people on it, but since we didn't use it I cannot say how nice it is.

Hi

We are going on our first cruise in September a back to back - Roman Epic and Moorish Delights on the Thomson Dream ship. Any tips would be most appreciated especially on recommended excursions as we would not be able to do them all. Anyone done the Classical Sights & Vatican City?

Many thanks

Thank you for all your replies most helpful

Runfold we are going on 15th September

Thanks for all you tips, i'm keeping notes !! :):)

janeeyre - that's the same as us. we chose this one because it's our 25th wedding anniversary whilst on board in fact it's the day we will be in Rome which was a double whammy for us. :D:D As never been there and always wanted to.

Thanks for all you tips, i'm keeping notes !! :):)

janeeyre - that's the same as us. we chose this one because it's our 25th wedding anniversary whilst on board in fact it's the day we will be in Rome which was a double whammy for us. :D:D As never been there and always wanted to.

Same here ours in on the 26th also 31 years for us

Trapani we liked very much but it was a Sunday when we were there so it was very quiet.

We did the Thomson trip to Erice which is fabulous - you go up on a cable car and get great views and the town of Erice itself is charming - cobbled streets great cafe culture and really worth a visit.

I have read that you can do this independently by bus or a taxi to the cable car - or all the way by taxi but I don't know how easy that would be or how the costs compare.

Casablanca we did the Thomson trip to the Mosque which was very interesting indeed. I think you could make your own way there - it's not too far from the port but it would be worth asking the question on the appropriate port forum to see if and how anyone has done it although I suspect you would get a lot more out of the visit with a guide.

Cartegena - if you walk right once you have cleared the port area around the front of the castle then turn left again around the base of the castle, there is a lift to take you to the top. It's quite interesting in the castle and I don't think it cost much to get in.

If you fancy doing to Soller train trip on your middle day in Palma let me know and I'll find the directions for you and post them - we've done it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not a particularly cheap day out as the train plus tram fare mount up - but it's much cheaper than doing it with Thomson and if you get off early, you can get the train almost to yourself! The journey through the mountains is fantastic and the Port de Soller is lovely - have a drink and a wander then come back by the 'round about' local bus service, get off at Valledomosa (fab) and catch the next bus a couple of hours later back to Palma.

http://www.sollernet.com/trendesoller/en1.html

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=soller+train&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ohq&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=a8h9T7e7Jciy8QPbx629DQ&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

If you want to go to the Cathedral in Palma i think it closes at 2pm on Saturdays (if that's the day you're there).

Archived