Stroller question

cruzinlisa

Now the strangest questions are popping up. For those of you that have little ones, when you went to eat in the MDR (or lido), did you take your child in a stroller or did you carry them. Last cruise we were way forward and the dining room aft so it seems like a fairly long walk, plus I like being able to go for a walk after dinner without going back to the room, but where would you put a stroller while you eat? I guess I shouldn't care, DH will be carrying her anyway, not me. lol :p

We usually went to dinner without the stroller, but we did bring it to the MDR for lunch. The staff was accommodating and would tuck it into a corner away from the traffic. Sometimes we had to fold it up, sometimes we didn't...

At 7MO and 13MO, we took the strollers to every meal. Both were walking at 13MO, but not well enough to go a distance or do it in a timely fashion. We used 2 umbrella strollers, which will fold up and tuck out of the way with no problem.

At 2YO, we did not use the stroller(s) and they were happy to walk everywhere. The only issue we ran into w/o the strollers was that we tend to go early so they'd wander while waiting in line.

If would help if the stroller was the folding type because it's less of a problem for the staff to find a place for it while you are dining.

You will also need to keep it in your cabin during the night. Before the Concordia sinking cruise lines were lax about enforcing the formal bans on strollers (and, at the other end of the life cycle, mobility scooters) left in the hallways. That's changed.

Thanks. DD can walk very well, but she is too little to just let walk on her own down the halls- plus I would be afraid she would run off, slip by or get trampled on. I have not decided whether we will take the bigger stroller or small umbrella stroller. It really depends on whether to bring a carseat or not. The carseat can still snap into the bigger stroller (yes, she still fits into an infant seat) so if we bring the seat, we will bring the stroller. It can fold fairly flat and fit under the bed in the cabin, but probably not fit comfortably under the seat. Maybe against a wall. I didn't think about "checking" the stroller in the dining room and picking it up when we leave. Good idea.

It can fold fairly flat and fit under the bed in the cabin, but probably not fit comfortably under the seat. Maybe against a wall. I didn't think about "checking" the stroller in the dining room and picking it up when we leave. Good idea.

There is no place to "check" your stroller. I think the other poster was referring to leaving the stroller and wheelchairs in the hallway outside their cabins, which is a really bad idea and is not allowed by the cruise lines even though some people do it. That blocks the way for other people walking the halls and the cleaning carts, as well as a safety hazard. There is also no real place outside or inside the restaurants to "park" your stroller. Unless you remove a chair at the table and put it there. Any other place would be in the way of the waiters and other passengers. Sometimes you can get a table with a corner and maybe shove it in there, but that might also impact the movement space for the servers which is why others have said they fold the stroller and put it under the table. I'm not saying not to bring it, that would be your choice. But carrying her would be a much easier solution for the restaurant then using the stroller for the short walk.

The ideal stroller would be a nice umbrella type, with a big canopy to protect from the sun, that reclines, but that folds up small. Another plus to having this with a little one is that we would put it in front of the door so that our little one couldn't open the door and escape the cabin while we were in the bathroom or sleeping. Cabin doors, even when locked, can easily be opened from the inside just by pulling down on the handle.

If you are doing any excursions with lots of uneven walking you might even consider a jogging type stroller. We brought ours to Calica (Xcaret) and it was worth its weight in gold.

Speaking of strollers, another tip for entertaining a little one on the ship...my friend and I both brought our little boys (yes boys) doll strollers. They had a great time pushing their little strollers around the ship, on the golf deck, etc. And the strollers kept them more grounded and under control than just having them running wild. I suppose if we wanted them to look more "normal" we could have put a funship freddy doll in them LOL

They fold up small and will fit in luggage :)

We cruised twice already when our son was 6 & 9 months we brought our Baby Jogger City Mini stroller with us. It's great when you are at the port but it's a little too big to walk around it ship. On our next cruise we will bring the cheap umbrella stroller (I got it for $15 from Walmart) so i can just use it around the ship and The Baby Jogger to use it in the port.

We cruised twice already when our son was 6 & 9 months we brought our Baby Jogger City Mini stroller with us. It's great when you are at the port but it's a little too big to walk around it ship. On our next cruise we will bring the cheap umbrella stroller (I got it for $15 from Walmart) so i can just use it around the ship and The Baby Jogger to use it in the port.

Interesting we have a BJCM which u adore and due on IoS, don't really want to fork out from stroller (we can't get them that cheap here!)

Archived