Using New iPad in port

Artemis908

I am thinking about getting a new iPad, actually my husband is thinking of getting it for my birthday. I am trying to figure out if i want to ask for it have 4G. I saw they do work internationally, it would see both AT&T and Verizon iPads work abroad, but just wondering how much data you use up by using the maps since it's kind of expensive. I think it was like $30 for 1 GB of data? Not even sure if I am missing something, but trying to figure out if it's worth it or not.

I am thinking about getting a new iPad, actually my husband is thinking of getting it for my birthday. I am trying to figure out if i want to ask for it have ...

When I bought my first iPad I got it with the extras - and never used them; and it cost me about $300. When I bought the iPad2, I got it with just the Internet capability, and I haven't missed the extra access. When I get the new one, I'll probably just get the Internet access as well.

Make sure you consider international data plans if you'll be travelling to foreign ports.

The standard data plans are domestic rates while connected to your home carrier (AT&T/Verizon). If you're in <insert country name here>, AT&T/Verizon aren't there, so you'll be using a foreign carrier's network and will rack up a HUGE bill (approx $19/MB) unless you have an international data plan from your home carrier.

Contact your carrier before using the iPad abroad.

Personally, I have a wifi-only iPad. In the states, I figure there's enough free wifi hotspots around (Starbucks, McDonalds, etc); and I don't travel enough (locally or foreign) to make the additional cost of the 3/4G version worth it.

Archived