NCL Dawn Passengers meet with Attorney

1. As quoted in the press by the cruise line AND passengers on the ship, the ship was only doing 4 knots through the worse of the storm for the passengers comfort. Doesn't sound like he was racing back just to be on that show. When I said racing I didn't mean literally. I said it because they were "racing" to get back to NYC in time for the show. I wasn't aware of how many knots they were doing when the wave hit or when they were going through the storm. How fast is 4 knots in laymens terms?

I think the whole point is the fact the he reportedly went through the storm instead of A) going around it B) leaving earlier to avoid hitting it or C) delaying the arrival of the ship in order to avoid the storm.

2. It's hard to go around a storm when it is moving east and the coast is to the west. It was too wide of a storm to go around. See above.

3. This ship, and many, many others, have sailed through storms like this before and many, many more will again. I'm sure some new cruisers, or some who have never sailed in a storm, were frightened, but the ship was in no danger. It was one wave that has caused all this uproar. ONE wave. Without it, there is no news story. Yes, you are right. It was one wave. And what a hell of a wave it was.;) But what would have happened if it had been hit by more then one? It could certainly have caused more damage then what it did. I was always under the belief that a captain did what he could to sail around a storm, or to at least get on the fringes not to drive straight on in to.

4. If a captain misses a port due to conditions, people get mad. If he tries and misses, people get mad. If he sails into a storm, people get mad. If he doesn't sail into a storm and people are late getting to a port or late sailing the next cruise, people get mad. This captain did not do anything wrong, but one rogue wave made him a target for some. No matter what decision anyone makes there are always going to be people that don't agree with it and think that it should have been a different way. The captain has the final say on where that ship goes and when. His number one priority should always be the safety of his passengers and crew, not the $1,000,000.00 his company shelled out to Trump.

5. I hope these passengers who are so set on sueing realize they will get little, if any, from this suit. Lawyers are the only ones who stand to gain from this type suit. All the rest of us lose from higher fares. And all because of one wave. Lawyers and their stupid class actions. I was unknowlingly invovled in one before. I got $100. The lawyers got millions. Class actions and torts are a joke to the legal system. The lawyers get rich and the people who deserve and/or need the money end up with hardly anything.

Also, i believe that the only people that should be sueing are the ones that were hurt due to the wave. Not everyone on the ship. People who have no business sueing are the ones who clog up our court systems and drive the cost of everything up, regardless if its a cruise or a doctors visit.

They didn t have a storm-battered voyage, one day was rough and it was their last day at sea. How was their cruise ruined? Their cruise was over. Did NCL order this wave. Was it on the menu.

The QM2 stayed in this kind of weather for 3 days, wonder if anyone sued them.

We live in a sue happy world.

Too many lawyers with nothing to do, a class action suit will make money for the lawyers, not for the cruises.

If they accepted the 50% off their cruise and the shipboard credit, then they accepted a settlement and cannot sue.

Anyone who files suit on this and LOSES should be forced to pay back all court and legal fees and be subjected to the dripping water torture for 1 day. People will reverse their suits real quick!

Uh, I think they already got the water torture! Maybe another kind??;)

Gee, what ships have you been sailing on? I've been through a number of storms over the years. Captains don't control the weather.

I agree that a small number of passengers are using the weather and sea conditions to vent their anger at the schedule change. If a "loser pays" rule were in effect nationwide, lawyers wouldn't take such frivolous lawsuits.

I'm not sure that you either understood what I wrote or maybe you didn't read it at all. I said they try to stay in nice weather while out at sea. I've been on the Norway & since we had 2 days at sea the captain was going around in huge circles to avoid rain, we knew this because we all had to move our chairs around every half hour, he made the time up by going a little faster in the PM. I was also on the SKY and the captain made a point of telling us to try & get back to the ship a little early, while in Cozumel so that we would miss an afternoon thunderstorm. Captains don't control the weather but they try to avoid BAD WEATHER.

I was not aware that the itinerary changes had been announced prior to sailing.

NCL announced the itinerary change about 4-5 days prior to sailing & the passengers were given the option to cancel, with a full refund, or change to another sailing without any penalties.

Archived