Priceline.com

I always book through Priceline for personal trips, and while I have been placed in less desirable rooms (next to elevator, looking at the back alley, unrenovated for example), they are, for the most part, clean, well maintained and furnished just like other rooms in the hotel. If your room was dirty, I suspect it is a hotel wide maintenance problem and not because you booked through Priceline. You can be a walk-in paying rack rate and the room will still be dirty.

Perhaps I was quick to judge, but first impressions are very important and this first impression did not win me over. Maybe some day I'll give them another try.

I've used priceline when traveling by myself, but you can't request separate beds, so when I travel with my friend, I don't use them.

Rooms have always been comparable to any hotels I book myself, at very reasonable rates.

As other posters said, just know you can't cancel and they are non-refundable.

I've used the bid your own price feature for years, and have been very happy. My experience is just the opposite - a quick call to the hotel to request 2 beds has never been denied. If the hotel is experiencing heavy occupancy, etc., I imagine you might be denied, but I've never encountered one.

Priceline is based on double occupancy for hotel rooms but there is no box to check-off if you're staying with kids. Don't know if all hotels will overlook this at check-in or do they ever try to charge extra person rate(s)? I love HW AND PL for rental cars and sometimes for rooms. BTW, I'm guessing they allow mention of online TA sites on CC regarding hotels and rental cars, just not when discussing cruises.

I've used them. Keep in mind that if you book with them their rates are non-cancleable and can not be refunded. If you are sure that's where you want to stay and you aren't going to want to cancel I'd say go with it!

This is only true for SOME bookings on Priceline, just to make sure the OP knows. I use Priceline and Booking.com (related to Priceline) and never pay up front (I choose pay when you stay rooms) and make sure that they have a generous cancellation policy. I have had to cancel twice, via priceline, and have not been charged any penalties. In fact, I just cancelled a reservation with them last night, for Lake Tahoe in May, and it was totally fine. I reserved a different room with them and all is well. It will state all of the cancellation terms before you book, because every hotel is different. I do not use the name your price feature because I NEED to know exactly what I am booking lol.

Funny story and a bit off topic, but I used Priceline "name your price" to book a rental car on Kauai. They reserved a car for me on Oahu. When I called to tell them that was not going to work, they told me that they had the right to reserve a car that was "near" my destination. I tried to explain that most rental cars are not equipped to drive across the Pacific Ocean, but to no avail. They refused to cancel or change the booking.

I disputed it with my credit card company and got my money credited back to me. I swore I'd never use them again, and technically I haven't, but I have submitted bids on flights recently (just didn't get them) :p

Archived