Any Advice for limited mobility on Freedom

We have some experience in this area. I've cruised 4 times with my grandmother who has limited mobility, she can walk some, but not long distances. The cruise lines I've sailed on (both RCCL and CCL) have been very accommodating in getting Gram on and off of the ship, using wheel chairs from the terminal. But never once have they offered to leave the chair on board all week with us. Quite the opposite, as soon as her behind was out of it, they were off and running to help another passenger. We have always rented a chair from an outside company (cruiseshipassist, mentioned early on in this thread) and have found their service to be very convenient in that the chair is in the cabin waiting for us when we board and it is picked up after we disembark. We do nothing other than use it all week. Payment is required when making the reservation and there is a cancellation fee, according to their paperwork. We've tried both the standard (collapsible) wheel chair and a motorized scooter, both great.

I just wanted to warn others who may get the wrong idea along the way here....

Do not show up for a cruise not having made arrangements for your mobility needs. You absolutely cannot count on RCCL to provide you with a chair or assistance other than boarding and disembarking.

Very easy ,we are not taking advantage, they have asked EVERY TIME , do you want us to leave the chair with you for use on the ship.

This is quite unusual. Is it with a specific cruise line?

With this information, I place the blame for my issue squarely on the cruise line (if that was indeed the case). They say they have wheelchairs for boarding, disembarkation, and emergencies only. If they're offering them to passengers for full time use (even though the written policy is "if you need one full time, you must provide it yourself"), then how on earth can they take care of an emergency situation such as mine?

beachchick

The doctor wanted her on the scooter as opposed to crutches since it is much more stable. I think this would be much easier than a wheelchair if it will work for you.

Downside with them (even more so than wheelchairs) is carpet. The "good leg" doing the pushing is going to get a workout. The smaller wheels will sink in to padded carpeting more than larger diameter wheels.

As for using port wheelchairs on ship - poster must lead a charmed life because odds are very far against it. Although my Mom was wheeled on on last cruise we had arranged for rental wheelchair to be in the cabin. On other hand my wife brings her own specially fitted wheelchair but port staff still insist on wheeling her on.

Just returned from FOS. My mother rented a wheelchair b/c she can walk short distances but that's about it. We also went with Special Needs at Sea - great program. The chair was ready & waiting for us in the stateroom. RC offered assistance onto the ship (although DH had to push her) and off, but that's it. The biggest issue was waiting for elevators - one night we waited 20 minutes. But other than that it wasn't too bad. We had no issues getting on and off the tenders (Western Caribbean cruise - so maybe Eastern ports use different type of boats?), although we did have to wait about 30 minutes for a wheelchair accessible one (about an hour wait in total to get to shore). Also no issue doing any excursions, although she was able to go up a few steps at a time. E-mailing RC ahead of time with questions about the excursions helped immensely.

As for dining, our waiter pushed my mom to the table and out of the dining room each night. Finding tables at the WJ wasn't too difficult. I think you'll be fine, just be ready to roll with the punches in terms of waiting and being moved to different lines - the staff couldn't have been more helpful in getting us to the best places on the boat.

Thanks for the advice. I rented a folding Wheel Chair thru special needs at sea. I have a knee scooter from Amazon now and it makes life a little easier, its easier than crutches for sure. I am hoping to be "walking" a bit with a cane by then but walking around my house is one thing the ship is another.

Believe it or not I feel it more in the leg thats up than the one thats good. I was biking 20 or 30 miles a week so I feel as if I have pretty strong legs but the scooter is still a work out for my thigh.

I remember seeing those metal things on the floor I will watch out and tell my kids or I can see them dumping me :-) They are only 10 and 8 but are so excited to push mommy around.

I will have to make sure I pack my patience and flexablilty :D

Archived