Ever had this problem?

Lhorn1209

So I booked my cruise through my Bank Account not Credit/Debit Card. I called my PVP about 3 weeks later to prepay tips with my Debit Card for some reason it came back declined. I have more than enough money so I kinda got worried and went to the atm and to get gas the card worked fine. I have paid bills online and bought things via Ebay and Amazon. Tried ordering a Cake through BV also with Debit Card and doesn't seem to work, not sure why this is. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

had this problem once with RCCL but never have had a problem with Carnival. They always run mine as though it was a credit card though, not debit. :confused:

So maybe I shoud tell them to run it through as Debit? I noticed they don't ask for the pin on the back of the card, guess that means they are running it through as credit not Debit.

Hubby's debit card got declined at Walmart one time not long ago. He called me and was really mad. I checked the account and told him how much was in it, letting him know that there should be no reason the card was declined. He tried it again. His card worked everywhere but Walmart. Not sure why that happens? Maybe a sign not to use Walmart (like I need one). :rolleyes:

That's crazy about Walmart! Its really getting on my nerves. I want to book a Shore Excursion through Carnival b/c of this and they don't let you book through Bank Account for this. Looks like I am going to have to go directly through Atlantis just to book this Excursion instead of Carnival.

Never, in fact I paid my deposit using my debit card because I hadn't transferred the money to savings yet. I prefer to use my credit card because I get reward dollars but using the debit was just more convenient.

There are different types of debit cards but if you've used it for retail purchases previously it must not be that.

Never, in fact I paid my deposit using my debit card because I hadn't transferred the money to savings yet. I prefer to use my credit card because I get reward dollars but using the debit was just more convenient.

There are different types of debit cards but if you've used it for retail purchases previously it must not be that.

I use my debit card online for everything. Bills, retail purchases, all the above..Its really starting to get on my nerves. Carnival really doesn't know why it's happening.

I use my debit card online for everything. Bills, retail purchases, all the above..Its really starting to get on my nerves. Carnival really doesn't know why it's happening.

Could be some sort of extra security from your bank. I have had this happen when I have tried to purchase something from outside the US with my Debit Card.

Call Your Bank.

I ship using FEDEX quite often and at my local branch my debit card always get declined, but works everywhere else just fine. I tried it on 3 different occasions, on 2 different computers, with it being declined each time. Now I just use my credit card when I ship. So it could just be some sort of glitch, or have to do with the way they run it.

Let me ask you this OP, some people have bank debit cards and others have Visa or Mastercard debit cards...does your card have either of these logos on them? Just trying to figure this out because I use my Visa check/debit card with CCL all of the time, but MANY places won't take it unless it is a Visa or Mastercard debit card...

Let me ask you this OP, some people have bank debit cards and others have Visa or Mastercard debit cards...does your card have either of these logos on them? Just trying to figure this out because I use my Visa check/debit card with CCL all of the time, but MANY places won't take it unless it is a Visa or Mastercard debit card...

My debit Card is a mastercard.

So I booked my cruise through my Bank Account not Credit/Debit Card. I called my PVP about 3 weeks later to prepay tips with my Debit Card for some reason it came back declined. I have more than enough money so I kinda got worried and went to the atm and to get gas the card worked fine. I have paid bills online and bought things via Ebay and Amazon. Tried ordering a Cake through BV also with Debit Card and doesn't seem to work, not sure why this is. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Call your Bank and tell them that it is you that is trying to use the card. I had the samething happen when I tried paying for excursions. It's because Carnival is based in Miami and a lot of banks won't let anything go thru on things from Miami. Also a day or two before you leave out let them know you are going out of country so the will know that it is you trying to charge stuff

Call the bank, the decline is on their end of the process. It maybe a security thing with them if you have not informed them that you will be traveling. I had this happen once with the debit cards from Commerce (now TD) Bank and once with Investor's Savings Bank.

For the Commerce incident I it was on making a online purchase repeatedly the debit card was denied even though I knew the funds where there, called the retailer to order over the phone same results. It wound up being that the bank automatically set up a fraud alert, which would not allow any non-swipe transactions because I requested a new debit card permaturely due to the mag strip being damaged.

For the problem w/ Investor's we were in FL renting a car which we had reserved (weeks prior) using the same debit card. Again we knew the funds were there since the bank had sent an e-mail that confirmed the transfer of the funds from the vacation club account to our checking. After a quick call to the bank we were informed that the payment request was bounced due to the fact we had not informed them we would be out of the tri-state area and using their card. Once we confirmed our identity (a 10 minute process) the rental agency was able to process the transaction.

The other thing it could be is that your debit card has a daily spending cap (ours is $500 at ATMs, and $1000 for on card purchases). Once the car was in need of a major repair that totaled $1200 so we needed to tell the bank that issued the debit that we needed an emergency limit increase to $1500 for that day only. Did that before paying the repair shop and there were no problems w/ the card being swiped for the full amount of the bill, otherwise we would of needed to pay the bill partially w/ the debit card and the rest in cash.

I don't think it's a bank problem. If you had a problem with your account it would decline everything to everyone. If you're only having the problem with Carnival then the issue seems to be with Carnival.

I'd call back and try it again having the PVP repeat the card information to you.

My debit Card is a mastercard.

You need to call your bank...only they will know why it was declined. My guess is that they think it is fraud, although they should have called you. Just out of curiosity, did you try to order the cake onling also? Wondering if it would work if you processed online and not via phone?

Archived