Princess, I am coming back from Celebrity!

DeRon

To Deron, by physical plant I mean the ship itself, not the food the entertainment or service. Analagous to a hotel building.

To Daj, I was on the Century 2 weeks after the failed inspection, early December. The news broke on the cruisecritic celebrity boards 30 hours before we left on our trip. There had been no updated inspection at the time of our cruise. We were understandably concerned, especially with all the sickness on so many cruise ships. If this had been a restaurant it would have been shut down by most City Health departments and not reopened until reinspected and passing grade attained.

I posted followup to other people's observations about the condition of Celebrity ships. Isn't that what this thread is all about- people's opinions of Celebrity?

To Deron, by physical plant I mean the ship itself, not the food the entertainment or service. Analagous to a hotel building.

To Daj, I was on the Century 2 weeks after the failed inspection, early December. The news broke on the cruisecritic celebrity boards 30 hours before we left on our trip. There had been no updated inspection at the time of our cruise. We were understandably concerned, especially with all the sickness on so many cruise ships. If this had been a restaurant it would have been shut down by most City Health departments and not reopened until reinspected and passing grade attained.

I posted followup to other people's observations about the condition of Celebrity ships. Isn't that what this thread is all about- people's opinions of Celebrity?

Yes and no to your question about the purpose of these boards, in this case you are beating the CDC inspection issue to death. Geeze, let it go

Phil

We have sailed Celebrity 7 times and were scheduled for another Celebrity Cruise on the Summit in 1/05. We ended up on the Sun Princess instead after Summit was drydocked. We had never been on Princess and were a little apprehensive having always been very satisfied with Celebrity. However, we were very pleased with our Princess cruise and found many things we liked better than Celebrity. We thought the food in the dining room was equal to that of Celebrity and actually thought the desserts and soups were better. We also liked the fact that drinks were cheaper on Princess and thought the entertainment staff was great. We loved the Promenade deck. We will be sailing on the Golden in January 06 -- considered the Constellation, but it was considerably more expensive than the Golden. Has Celebrity lost us as loyal customers? Probably not, but we have found another cruise line we feel comfortable with and like just as much.

We also liked the fact that drinks were cheaper on Princess and thought the entertainment staff was great.

I sailed Princess and Celebrity 2 months a part from each other and I also noticed the prices onboard. Everything was less expensive on Princess (drinks, tours, transfers, etc. . )

I seem to be in the minority, but I wasn't impressed with the food on our Celebrity cruise and prefer the food on Princess. I have spoke to several others who were on the same sailing as I was and they also were not pleased (with the food) but have sailed Celebrity since and said that food did improve.

My main complaint was that I often returned to the ship at 3 or so after being in port and the buffet was closed and room service was pretty much the only option for food. Maybe things have changed. I do remember they put some food out at 4:00 but it was primarily fluff finger sandwiches.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been on 12 Princess cruises and 18 Celebrity cruises, I can say it's not necessary to bash either one. I can honestly say I've never had a bad Celebrity cruise, but a couple of the Princess cruises left a lot to be desired. Sometimes that happens. I'd still give them another chance.

Many things go into where we spend our hard earned dollars and who we will give them to. But over and above everything is how we are treated as a return customer. Of all the cruise lines Princess needs to work on this a little more. Now having said all of this we are sailing the Golden in June....So we will always give another chance.

How do you suggest Princess improve the way it handles returning passengers?

I can honestly say I've never had a bad Celebrity cruise, but a couple of the Princess cruises left a lot to be desired.

What of your Princess cruises left a lot to be desired?

Having been on 12 Princess cruises and 18 Celebrity cruises, I can say it's not necessary to bash either one.

Who's bashing? I think people's opinions are good to hear. I don't necessarily agree with everyone when I might have had a different experience, but I like to hear everyone's good and bad.

We have only taken one cruise on Celebrity ---- the Baltics on the Constellation. It was an excellent cruise; however, I do think that the quality of the cruise can vary ---- even on the same ship, depending on the staff. The entertainment on our Celebrity cruise was definitely superior to anything we have experienced on Princess (not that Princess entertainment is bad). On the Constellation, the entertainment was more adult oriented ---- one afternoon, they provided a classical piano concert ---- and they had several interesting speakers (a former astronaut, a biologist who worked with endangered species in Africa, and others). The dining room was gorgeous and we ended up with excellent tablemates --- a couple from Scotland, two couples from England and another American couple. The food and service were top-notch, and my husband loved the nightly sushi bar.

However, as enjoyable as this cruise was, I would be hesitant to cruise on an older Celebrity ship.

We been on LOTS of Princess cruises (Sitmar prior to Princess) and only on FOUR Celebrity Cruises. We loved our Celebrity cruises. Actually, did like the food (menu selection in the main dining room) much better on Celebrity! Never had a bad meal on Celebrity!

While Princess is always FIRST in my heart, do also very much enjoy Celebrity!

(Like Princess use to be ......... without the "Nightlife") :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I have sailed on Celebrity and Preincess and enjoyed myself on both. Anyone can find faults if they try hard enough. I think we as consumers are fortunate to have two great cruise lines to choose from. Any day on a cruise sure beats staying at home.

One doesn't have to read these boards very long to find good/bad things about most every cruise line, I guess. We have been fortunate to have cruised on Celebrity twice, Princess twice, HAL three times, and RCI once and while we have found minor differences among the lines, we've thoroughly enjoyed each of them. Guess we are either just relatively easy to please, or perhaps not very discriminating, because we would not hesitate to go again on any one of these lines. For us, price, timing, and itinerary govern first before the name of the cruise line.

Archived