The "New" Explorer of the Seas

We will be going on the Explorer of the Seas very soon. This will be my 3rd time, but have not been on it since October 2003.

I know it was refurbished in January 2010 and I am looking to see what the Solarium looks like now. I tried looking on different web-sites, but the pictures have been different.

Does anyone have a picture of what the Solarium looks like now after it was drydocked?

Thanks!

Kat

We will be going on the Explorer of the Seas very soon. This will be my 3rd time, but have not been on it since October 2003.

I know it was refurbished in January 2010 and I am looking to see what the Solarium looks like now. I tried looking on different web-sites, but the pictures have been different.

Does anyone have a picture of what the Solarium looks like now after it was drydocked?

Thanks!

Kat

There are some in my review, link is in my signature.

Thanks!

Kat

There were fixups of damaged tile and other blemishes.

These are from Dec 2010

2455036750096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2866587950096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2700018170096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2882607860096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2916568480096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2070393920096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The pool stairs were in bad shape before but now look nice.

Thanks The Big Booper and Johneeo.

Those are great pictures of the Solarium. I saw a picture of what is claimed to be the Solarium on the Explorer of the Seas, after refurbishment, but I truly didn't think it was what I saw.

I saw the same picture on at least 2 sites, but found it hard to believe it had changed so much. I'm glad I got to see what it truly looks like before I step foot onto that ship again!

I love the Explorer, it was my first 2 cruises. I have been on 10 Royal Caribbean, 1 Celebrity and 1 Princess. We will be taking 2 Royal Caribbean cruises this year, so thanks so much for the pictures!

Happy Cruising!

Kat

:D

explorer did not go into dry dock yet. it is scheduled for 2014. we were on it in february and its still as beautiful as ever. i miss it every day :(

actually she had a short dry dock a few january's ago to fix the azipod that had been damaged on an earlier cruise and do a few updates. Nothing major compared to what the new updates are being done on the ships now.

still my favorite ship..been on her many many times

We were just off Ex 3 weeks ago. Wonderful ship and a fantastic crew, you wont be disappointed.

BTW, if you have time, stop in for a drink at the Crown and Kettle and see Shaka. Tell him Brett and Lee say hello and that the Vodka Cranberries just havent been the same.

To anyone who recently went on this ship, did the Solarium ceiling close? I was told that it will be closed for the entire trip, which would not be a bad idea for a trip to Bermuda this time of year.

I do remember being on a ship that the Solarium was enclosed, but was not sure if it was this trip?

To anyone who recently went on this ship, did the Solarium ceiling close? I was told that it will be closed for the entire trip, which would not be a bad idea for a trip to Bermuda this time of year.

I do remember being on a ship that the Solarium was enclosed, but was not sure if it was this trip?

The solarium is not enclosed on any of the Voyager or Freedom class ships and that includes Explorer.

That's what I thought too. I want to say the Enchantment had it enclosed, and I went on that ship in April 2004. I could be wrong, but I thought one of the ships had that option.

Yes, Enchantment has an enclosed solarium.

Yes, just got done with a Live Chat from RCCL's web site. The solarium on this class ship is not enclosed, but I was told the Enchantment does have that option!

Thanks for the info Ocean Boy!

Happy Sailing!!

Kat

The radiance also has a enclosed solarium. The bad part they would never open it up, even on the best of days.

I suspect that has something to do with the amount of energy it takes to re-aircondition the space after closing the top.

And who would want an enclosed Solarium, especially if it is a hot climate you are sailing too? Going to Bermuda in May, it is still a bit chilly, and that would have been a great option to have. I just hope that when we are docked, temperatures will reach close to the high 70's!

Last time we sailed to Bermuda this time of year, the days at sea were freezing!

I suspect that has something to do with the amount of energy it takes to re-aircondition the space after closing the top.

It was always very warm and humid, we never used it because of the uncomfortable climate.

And who would want an enclosed Solarium, especially if it is a hot climate you are sailing too? Going to Bermuda in May, it is still a bit chilly, and that would have been a great option to have. I just hope that when we are docked, temperatures will reach close to the high 70's!

Last time we sailed to Bermuda this time of year, the days at sea were freezing!

To tell you the truth, when we sailed Serenade from San Juan to the southern Caribbean the enclosed solarium was at times a very welcome retreat from the intense southern Caribbean heat.

The food the entertainment and the outstanding crew will make up for any blemishes you might find on the ship. Just getting away for any length of time is a great thing. Enjoy your cruise.

we have not been on Explorer since we got married on her 10 + years ago, so cant wait to visit an "old" friend....we have even come close to the exact cabin we had then...also did they update the TV's to flat screens??

Archived