Costa Cruises?

sloppy

Quite frankly it depends upon where you are going. My wife and I (both 35 - but annual cruisers) care less about the itinerary than we do about the ship. We have done Eastern/Western many times. We haven't done Southern in a long time because my wife has some plane issues. If we visited an island before and love it - we get off the ship again. If we have visited an island and have done just some of what we wanted to do the first time - we get off the ship again and finish up. If we have visited an island and are done with it - we stay on board and enjoy an almost empty ship.

We, unlike a lot of people on this board, book the cruise for the ship/cabin/related service. In other words we spend good money to have a nice cabin with a big balcony because we spend more time in our cabin than out of it. I know that's unusual but we have a 3 year old and have 1 week a year to get away solo. We want to be left alone but we love cruising. We want the best cabin, the best service, and a guaranteed table for 2 so that we can be alone for 1 week out of 52.

That being said, we enjoyed our first cruise on Costa this April so much (having done CUNARD, NCL, NCCL, HOLLAND, AND CELEBRITY) that we booked a cruise on the Costa Med. for next year the day after we returned. Same cabin as the Atlantica - sister ship. The Western rather than Eastern route.

Costa offers true bang for the buck because they are trying to push their way back into the US market. The only thing that I missed from HOLLAND was the comp. laundry/dry-cleaning in the suites and a better private island. Other than that, this was the best cruise that we've ever taken.

I don't know if this answers your questions but I want to express again our pleasant surprise sailing with Costa.

You get treated like a King for short money when compared with the other more popular lines.

I'm sure you'll love Costa. I've travelled on the Atlantica in the past and will travel on Magica shortly and Fortuna/Magica in July - all Mediterranean. I love the atmosphere. When travelling with my family (DH and kids) we would normally just dine together, but on this occasion (May trip) I am travelling with my aunt and mother and they have requested a table of eight!! Should be interesting!

Archived