Yes Another Butler Question!

Please forgive me if this sounds like a totally stupid question. Going on my first cruise in 64 days (yep I'm counting it down) and in a suite and have a question regarding the butler.

When the Butler comes to your suite. Do they knock on the door and then you let them in, or do they knock and let themselves in or what?

Thanks!

Please forgive me if this sounds like a totally stupid question. Going on my first cruise in 64 days (yep I'm counting it down) and in a suite and have a question regarding the butler.

When the Butler comes to your suite. Do they knock on the door and then you let them in, or do they knock and let themselves in or what?

Thanks!

On our January cruise he knocked then just walked in. A couple of times we didn't hear him because we were on the balcony.

Many times our butler delivered breakfast without much warning. Usually, he rings the door bell first. On one or two cruises, he called first (which is what I prefer). Plus, if you have the deadbolt locked, he can't enter. That's why I like the phone call... gives me a chance to go unlock the door.

Thanks!

Just discuss it with the butler. They will accommodate your request on how you want to be alerted.

If you don't want to talk to them about it, I believe you will likely receive a phone call prior to his entry alerting you ahead of time, then they will likely ring your door bell, and if no response, they will enter the room to attend to their duties.

It didn't sound like a stupid question to me. As a matter of fact I don't ever recall seeing that question or anyone mentioning it before.

Glad you asked it. Good information to know.

Thank you. I usually scour these boards several times a day and try to find out as much as possible before I leave. I'm now to the point that I wish I hadn't looked at so many pictures of the Gem because now it won't be a surprise!

Our Butler would ring the bell and a wait until we opened the door (we spent a lot of our downtime in our cabin). Otherwise he'd let himself in if we were out.

Now our cabin steward on the other hand would ring the door bell and open it after a few seconds.

It will still be a surprise! The photos don't do these ships justice! It's hard to imagine how massive these ships are until you see them in person. The last 2 cruises I was on, I did tons of research, saw tons of pictures, and will still amazed when I got on the ships

Indeed it is a huge shock seeing the ship for the first time, although the way the ships are situated alongside the pier in Manhattan does diminish the effect somewhat compared to other ports like Baltimore.

Thanks to the both of you for your help!

I just didn't know that if I ordered breakfast to be delivered one morning if I would need to be up and ready to let them in or if they let themselves in.

They have always called us before bringing breakfast. Just to make sure we were up. Enjoy your suite.

Pat

Remember they are not allowed to knock or enter if you have the wheel outside the door turned to "Do Not Disturb". I have waited for the butler to bring room service and finally he called and asked if I was ready. Oops! :o

My husband is a morning person, but I'm decidedly not! I had many conversations with our butler in the AM, with Jim up and dressed but me still in bed! She didn't mind, and neither did I. I will say that having that sweet coffee machine in our cabin did lure me out of bed earlier than usual, so I could make my cappuccinos and drink them on the balcony-still in my robe, of course. And having Cagney's open for breakfast was also a lure, so not many room service breakfasts for us.

Archived