Early morning "Upsell Fairy" call

jvsnana

We are sailing on the Dawn in 2 days and this morning at 6:15 we got the call for an upsell to the Deluxe Owners Suite from a family balcony. It was a no brainer for us and we can't wait :) First time in this suite!

We are sailing on the Dawn in 2 days and this morning at 6:15 we got the call for an upsell to the Deluxe Owners Suite from a family balcony. It was a no brainer for us and we can't wait :) First time in this suite!

What a wonderful wake up call. :) The fairy probably forgot you are 3 hours behind her in Miami. ;)

awesome! and 10 days too! Enjoy!!

Enjoy it :)

Congrats - Just for reference, what kind of SAVINGS did you experience for this upsell vs. if you had bought it at "retail". Was it $300 for the room, $500pp, etc? I heard some were offered a Haven suite but there was not much of an actual discount so they passed on that upsell but yours sounds like it was a nicely discounted offer, right? I am not asking anything about the price you paid but rather simply the "value" of the upsell offer. How much did taking it SAVE you?

Congrats - Just for reference, what kind of SAVINGS did you experience for this upsell vs. if you had bought it at "retail". Was it $300 for the room, $500pp, etc? I heard some were offered a Haven suite but there was not much of an actual discount so they passed on that upsell but yours sounds like it was a nicely discounted offer, right? I am not asking anything about the price you paid but rather simply the "value" of the upsell offer. How much did taking it SAVE you?

We paid about 1/3 of retail after the last price drop. When we first booked, the DOS was $1000 more than it was yesterday, as they dropped the price so close to sailing. We certainly got a great deal…we originally booked a guarantee balcony for very little $ :)

We paid about 1/3 of retail after the last price drop. When we first booked, the DOS was $1000 more than it was yesterday, as they dropped the price so close to sailing. We certainly got a great deal…we originally booked a guarantee balcony for very little $ :)

Thanks for the details and congrats on getting the call from the upsell fairy.

It looks like you probably doubled your original costs but that was still a HUGE discount from what the DOS costs so sounds like you got a heck of a deal! This is good information and gives me a good measure for consideration if any upsells come this direction. Fingers crossed.

Has anyone ever tried calling NCL to see if an upgrade at a discount was available?

I called my travel agent two days prior to sailing and asked what the cost would be to upgrade from my inside to a balcony. He checked with NCL and called me back. I was able to get a balcony for only a few hundred dollars more. It never hurts to call.

Momtolandd............Yes, our TA called and we got the Garden Villa from a Courtyard Villa. There were 5 adults and we made an offer for the upsell that was very much to our benefit. After we made final pymt the Courtyard Villas were much less than what we had Paid so we figured the difference plus some and our TA called every other day. They laughed at her on a Friday and said it would never happen and then Monday they called and asked if we were still interested. So never take no for an answer.

Has anyone ever tried calling NCL to see if an upgrade at a discount was available?

The upsell dept doesn't take incoming calls anymore so there is no way to ask for the same kind of discounts as they offer. However the prices have tendency of dropping while the departure comes closer so you can get a normal paid upgrade for less money.

For example we were booked in OV and after the prices started to drop on our cruise, the total cost for upgrading from oceanview to a suite was $300pp (with the Amex OBC promo) when the list price originally was over $1000pp more. For some reason the Deluxe Owners Suites were too heavily discounted and if we had paid $300pp more, we could have gotten one of those for over 50% off from the original price. We decided not to, but others grabbed them really, really fast as the pricing was actually comparable for the fairy's prices. :D

I called my travel agent two days prior to sailing and asked what the cost would be to upgrade from my inside to a balcony. He checked with NCL and called me back. I was able to get a balcony for only a few hundred dollars more. It never hurts to call.

I answered my own question. I picked up the phone and called. its one week before our cruise. I think if I called a week ago it would have been a better chance as a lot of the higher level rooms are now reserved. I called the TA and they called NCL. the only option was a 2 bedroom for 4000 more - thats 1000 per person, more. no thanks. because we have a party of 4 they said its harder to upgrade and they hope to sell as many double occupancies as they can close to cruise. so, it is worth it to call but on a popular week - perhaps you should call 2-3 weeks before. Im happy with our mini-suite! can't wait for the cruise. thank you for all your answers!

Archived