Do I REALLY need to know all this???

account4fun

Oh, I would certainly learn how to order gelato. This is not what I would want to mess up. Everything else is not important, after a few misses I'd eventually get to my hotel, to a museum, to the train stop... but gelato is one thing worth all the trouble :p

If you are dining, or even getting gelato, etc. don't buy near the tourist traps. A friend of ours paid 5E for a gelato across from the Trevi fountain. The same would have cost him 1.5-2E a block or so down the street at a bakeshop. Order the house wine, if the waiter suggests something else just make sure you know the cost of that something else.

In actual fact something I discovered in Italy was that the "house" wine was NOT always the lowest price BUT was usually marvellous.

I don't think anybody mentioned asking for your bill in a restaurant: Il conto per favore.

You could wait for hours if you don't ask for the bill. Waiters don't want to rush you. Italians often spend hours at dinner.

I don't think anybody mentioned asking for your bill in a restaurant: Il conto per favore.

You could wait for hours if you don't ask for the bill. Waiters don't want to rush you. Italians often spend hours at dinner.

You're right. Il conto. I did spend a few hours at Armando. I was by myself and felt right at home and well attended to. Lingered over that torte and shared a glass of Sicilian white offered by the gentleman at the next table...

Grazie!

Archived