Recommend Earplugs for Shows!

Leo Jay

I don't even know if these exist, but are there earphones that are specifically designed to reduce volume levels (but still render the sounds clearly audible) rather than block/muffle the sound?

I've always found the sound levels for the shows to be a bit amped up, but on my most recent cruise (RC), it was bordering on uncomfortable; my upcoming cruise is on X, and I'm reading that the shows on that line tend to be loud as well.

Thanks!

I don't even know if these exist, but are there earphones that are specifically designed to reduce volume levels (but still render the sounds clearly audible) rather than block/muffle the sound?

I've always found the sound levels for the shows to be a bit amped up, but on my most recent cruise (RC), it was bordering on uncomfortable; my upcoming cruise is on X, and I'm reading that the shows on that line tend to be loud as well.

Thanks!

Yes . They foam disposable and when pushed into the ear they take on the shape of the inner ear. can be purchased at any major drug store. Can even find them on-line and in luggage stores.

You can find the foam earplugs at some drug stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

These are colored pieces of foam, that look like short bullets or tubes of foam. If you get them at Home Depot, you will get a package of maybe 12 pairs.

Take a pair, take one at a time and roll it back and forth between a couple of fingers or both hands. This will make them very, very thin. Quickly stick the "scrunched up" tube into your ear, and it will quickly try to go back to the way it was, and makes an easy yet very effective ear plug. Repeat with the remaining one for your other ear. You will still hear, but the volume will be reduced.

That being said, and I have used them at concerts and loud auditorium events, I have never noticed that the shows on a ship were all that loud. However, if you want to be prepared, they are inexpensive, can be reused, and cannot hurt.

Yes . They foam disposable and when pushed into the ear they take on the shape of the inner ear. can be purchased at any major drug store. Can even find them on-line and in luggage stores.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know these existed. Will have to check them out.

Thanks, my experience with traditional earplugs was that they muffle or eliminate sound more than they simply reduce volume, but if there's no high-tech option, I'll try a few different types and give them a try.

You can find the foam earplugs at some drug stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

These are colored pieces of foam, that look like short bullets or tubes of foam. If you get them at Home Depot, you will get a package of maybe 12 pairs.

I'm a light sleeper so use these whenever I travel. I find that the kind with one rounded end are more comfortable and easier to insert. I get mine at Home Depot in packs of 80 pair, but they also sell them in packs of 7 pair for under $3.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202080168&R=202080168

I always travel with ear plugs, and often use them to sleep at home.

Here's some other options for reusable ones that are connected together.

http://www.pistoleer.com/protection/ear/plugs/

BP2000.jpg

I use a boom microphone head set on my airplane that uses in-ear plugs, as opposed to the other "active noise reduction" stereo head set types that cost 3 times as much (Bose). Love 'em and never looked back at the "head clamps" I used to wear.

Thanks!

Yes..you want faders and not earplugs. Don't get the crappy foam orange stuff as well since as you know, those block/muffle

http://v-moda.com/faders/

it reduces the decibels while preserving the full spectrum of sound. They're around $12-$15 each, well worth it.

Yes..you want faders and not earplugs. Don't get the crappy foam orange stuff as well since as you know, those block/muffle

it reduces the decibels while preserving the full spectrum of sound. They're around $12-$15 each, well worth it.

Ah! Faders! That's the ticket! I guess it's too much too expect that someone might make a cordless in-ear version? But thanks much!

Ah! Faders! That's the ticket! I guess it's too much too expect that someone might make a cordless in-ear version? But thanks much!

well, you could always cut the cord if it bothers you..it's just a string.:D

But those faders do work great! I wear them to clubs/concerts and I can have conversations with people still!

well, you could always cut the cord if it bothers you..it's just a string.:D

Ah yes, so I see - I was originally thinking it was a cable that connected to a volume control of some sort. But I also read that there is now (or will soon be) a version available with a detachable cord!

Thanks again!

I wouldn't call the orange foam plugs "crappy" since they do a good job for what they are designed for, but I do agree that your suggestion to use faders is a much better way to go for the op's purposes. Until your post I didn't know these even existed. Thanks for the tip!

Archived