Lucayan NP kayaking excursion

MicheMommy

Has anyone done this shore excursion before? What did you think? We're planning on doing it on our cruise in June (through NCL) and I'm wondering what to expect. I'm pretty excited for it, so if I might be setting my expectations too high, let me know!

Thanks!

We did this about 3 years ago and had a great time. Our first time kayaking. Not sure about how long it took to get to the National Park, but it wasn't too long. You will take a standing raft across a waterway and walk a little bit to get to the kayak area. They are 2-man kayaks and they will give you a short training lesson. You will then launch and take a liesurely trip through the brackish waterway with trees lining both shores. There are twists and turns and you can get "stuck" but with one person being the rudder and the other paddling, you are on your way again. The kayak time was about 45 minutes.

You then disemark and go to a secluded beach and have lunch under a rustic pavillion with racoons begging for food. At first we were alarmed to see racoons in the daytime, but they have changed their habits in order to beg for food.

Then we walked over to some caves (bats in some) and had a bit of an ecology tour. We walked back to the raft and were pulled back to the other side of the waterway and back to our transportation.

It was one of the best experiences we had and will probably do it again this August.

ENJOY!!!

Thanks for the info! I'm really looking forward to the kayaking and DH teaches high school biology and geology (aka, he's a science geek), so I think he'll really enjoy it as well! We're not really sit-around-at-the-beach-for-hours people and shopping is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay not his thing, so this seemed like a good choice of excursions to get us off the boat and see a bit of the island. I'm glad to hear you had such a great experience!

Archived