Galveston disembarkation – Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean

geotraveler

I’ve cruised out of Galveston 3 times now. Twice I’ve cruised with Royal Caribbean and once with Carnival (just back this week). When I disembarked through the Royal Caribbean terminal the lines for customs were horrible. An hour or more of waiting while inching through switch-backed lines and then the long slog hugging the outside walls. There was always a special line for non-US passengers that was almost always empty.

Imagine my delight with the set-up at the Carnival terminal. There was a dedicated line for US citizens carrying passports. Everyone else is in the other line (US citizens without passports and non-US citizens). The passport line was short, quick and efficient. I loved it. :)

Though I marginally prefer Royal Caribbean, when traveling out of Galveston, I'll probably choose Carnival just to avoid the customs mess.

Appears you are saying the same thing. There is always an immigration line for non- U.S. citizens.

Unfortunately, it is not RCI that controls customs and immigration, but the U.S. and they must ride together from Houston in a group. They are notoriously late for ships. Probably due if one agent doesn't show they must wait for a replacement.

Knew an agent that lived near Galveston, but was not allowed to drive personal vehicle to the island, but drive to Houston for them to arrive enmass.

Kind of stupid:rolleyes:

I’ve cruised out of Galveston 3 times now. Twice I’ve cruised with Royal Caribbean and once with Carnival (just back this week). When I disembarked through the Royal Caribbean terminal the lines for customs were horrible. An hour or more of waiting while inching through switch-backed lines and then the long slog hugging the outside walls. There was always a special line for non-US passengers that was almost always empty.

Imagine my delight with the set-up at the Carnival terminal. There was a dedicated line for US citizens carrying passports. Everyone else is in the other line (US citizens without passports and non-US citizens). The passport line was short, quick and efficient. I loved it. :)

Though I marginally prefer Royal Caribbean, when traveling out of Galveston, I'll probably choose Carnival just to avoid the customs mess.

With people?

Some wait and get off at 10:00am!

We live in Galveston and have been home by 8:00 AM with self departure.

With customs it's all circumstantial.

We missed a 11:30 flight in Ft Lauderdale, because of customs!!!.

As far as Carnival/RCCL it can be different each time!

Don't let getting off ship spoil a wonderful getaway cruise!:D

It's cruising!!!!!

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

Worst self-assist debarking I ever had was with Carnival in Galveston...but only one time. The other times its been pretty good. The one time we did RCCL self-assist in Galveston, it went fast too. Its probably true that it can vary from cruise to cruise. Our Triumph cruise last Dec had smooth S.A. debarking...and I'm hoping our cruise in November does too.:)

The difference in my experience may have been a function of returning on a Thursday vs. returning on a Sunday with another ship in port. Or some other unknown variable. However, I know that in the terminal that Carnival uses, customs (or whoever is in charge) had things arranged such that I walked by a lot of people waiting in the non-passport line, while I waited behind 2 groups and then was out. I did not do SA. I was in the last group off the ship. For me, on this particular trip, it was a very pleasant disembarkation experience. YMMV. :)

we sailed on RCCL 2/26 and there was a line for US passengers with passports also getting off RCCL

there was no one in line,

we did the self disembark so i dont know if that made a difference but there were ALOT of us self disembarking

I'll get to experience the Carnival terminal later this year, but when I went through the RCCL terminal a few weeks ago it was just the opposite from what the OP describes. We were delayed getting off the ship due to computer problems but once in the terminal we made it through the line (and it was a long one) in about fifteen minutes.

My experience has been close to the OP's both times. I love love LOVE being able to sail so close from my home, and definitely don't take that for granted, but good golly disembarkation is awful. Both getting off of Mariner in February and Voyager in 2010, we and a couple thousand of our closest friends inched along for an hour - hour & a half just trying to get through customs. It was brutal both times, and not a happy way to end a wonderful week. :(

But on DCL out of Port Canaveral, every single time I have been amazed at how quickly they are able to get everyone out of there. One minute you're happily on the ship, and the next you're on the sidewalk blinking in the sunshine, and you're not quite sure how you got there, lol. :p They have crowd control down to a science. I'm very, very curious how it's going to be when they start sailing out of Galveston this Fall!

-gina-

Every time can be circumstantial and relative to situations!

We have been off every time in Galveston early and mostly easy!

We have been home by 8:00 am a few blocks away!

There is always a need for improvement

in every port terminal as ship policy's change

and different port situations arise!!!

Yes

Presently and with more, newer and bigger ships

RCCL and other lines

Galveston will need to make improvements to keep up!!!!l

Archived