Using $100 dollar bills in Progreso

I don't know why I haven't thought of this before since I've been to Progreso several times. When I've shopped in Progreso, I've always paid with American dollars and never had a problem. But has anyone had difficulty using $100 dollar bills there? I think the largest one I've ever used in Progreso was a $50.

I'm no expert on progreso....although I've been there 4 times and really like the fun we've had there. My guess is you might encounter big issues trying to pay with $100 bills...there, or just about anywhere else. I've had plenty of places here in the states not be able to make cash for big bills...so it stands to reason progreso will be no different. But, as always...I could be wrong. We usually try to keep plenty of small bills to use in ports...just to make it easier for the shopkeepers.:)

Better yet! ones, fives and tens. Don't be surprised if you get pesos for change.

The only time I've ever received pesos for change was once and I had to ask for them because I wanted souveniers. The guy said he didn't have anything but American money and he actually went and asked another person for pesos :D

Archived