epic; allure; oasis; when is carnival going to have a destination ship?

H82seaUgo

...but then bells and whistles don't impress me much. Neither do rock-climbing walls, artificial surf and ice rinks.

I'm not a big fan of "gimmicks" either, but I believe that this is the biggest misconception people who've never cruised on a ship like the Allure have.

The main appeal of these ships is NOT the rock climbing walls, ice rinks, and other "bells and whistles". Its the open space feel, great design and ambiance, dining options, and truly professional entertainment.

We sailed on Allure and it cost 2-3 times more than comparable length Carnival cruises. And it was worth every single extra penny! It was an absolutely wonderful experience!

NCL has 2 new builds....both much smaller than Epic

Nothing planned that I know of for Royal, tho I do think Ft Lauderdale is happy to have all those people coming thru here every week due to Oasis and Allure

If you read a lot of people's ideas tho it seems many want smaller ships??

I still would like to try the Big Ones...the Big Three :)

Not sure that Carnival will/should try to outdo them??

I'm not a big fan of "gimmicks either, but I believe that this is the biggest misconception people who've never cruised on a ship like the Allure have.

The main appeal of these ships is NOT the rock climbing walls, Ice rinks, and other "bells and whistles". Its the enormous amounts of wide open spaces, great design and ambiance, more diverse dining options, and truly professional entertainment.

We sailed on Allure and it cost 2-3 times more than comparable length Carnival cruises. And it was worth every single extra penny! It was an absolutely wonderful experience!

That's EXACTLY how we feel about our Epic cruise. Worth every penny - an excellent expereince ;) :D.

But - not necessarily one we are going to do again really soon - because nothing will have changed. At least if it switch from an eastern to a western itinerary - you'd have different ports. :cool:

Love destination ships! :D Those are the best vacations. Totally happy to pay a premium for them too.

Carnival's Dream is my favorite Carnival ship but it still just doesn't compare. I am not going to sail on it again unless I find some bottom price.

I think that Carnival should build one of those mega, mega ships. I know that my two teenagers would love to cruise on one! But since Allure/Oasis are so expensive, we'll continue to sail on Carnival.

If Carnival does build one and it is successful, it will be charging a premium too. Carnival management are not going to pass up revenue to keep prices low for any of us.

Carnival's prices are low because market doesn't allow any higher not because Carnival doesn't want to charge more.

but....how many times can you do the same "destination" ship??

How many times can people do Cozumel yet they still do so (over and over and over) just because that's the where Carnival sails to from their closest port of embarkation?

I sail primarily for the ports. My biggest concern with ships is the crowding and passenger flow more than all of the extra amenities.

While I am exceedingly curious about the Epic and Oasis class ships, I am really not ever likely to sail them. If I am spending time and money on a cruise, I am more likely to be on a Princess ship (whose big ships do feel small), Spirit Class, or the Radiance Class.

While I am so curious about the Oasis class, personally it seems like they are trying to replicate a land-based resort. The Voyager/Freedom class ships already feel like they have eliminated the sea from cruising since the focus really is towards the inside of the ship. Stick me on a Radiance or even a Vision class ship any day with all of the glass and public spaces focused on the sea.

Also, the big Oasis class ships just can't get into the ports I am more likely to want to visit. I don't see spending the extra money for another trip to Nassau and St. Thomas.

Never. Carnival is too smart for that.

Sooner or later the Behemoths of the Seas are destined to be judged epic failures and parked in one of the Middle East countries.

:rolleyes:

Even though I am not a big fan of monster sized ships, you are seriously dillusional to think that. Allure & Oasis get consistantly fabulous reviews.

How many times can people do Cozumel yet they still do so (over and over and over) just because that's the where Carnival sails to from their closest port of embarkation?

I am in total agreement with you.

You only need to read the posts to see that the vast majority of people who post on this message board make no bones about it. They sail CCL because it's less expensive for them, many times because they can drive to the port.

Who can blame them???? I'd love to live driving distance from a port.

I am in total agreement with you.

You only need to read the posts to see that the vast majority of people who post on this message board make no bones about it. They sail CCL because it's less expensive for them, many times because they can drive to the port.

Who can blame them???? I'd love to live driving distance from a port.

Especially with these STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! airfares right now!

At this point my weekender cruises out of Florida are out of the question because the airfare for me has tripled or even quadrupled in some cases where the flight costs MUCH more than the cruise. I went on 2 weekender cruises last summer. Doesn't look like any this year because the airfare is out of control. I am worried about getting to Puerto Rico for my Southern cruise next year.

When will they base a ship in Lake Michigan???;)

NCL has 2 new builds....both much smaller than Epic

Nothing planned that I know of for Royal, tho I do think Ft Lauderdale is happy to have all those people coming thru here every week due to Oasis and Allure

If you read a lot of people's ideas tho it seems many want smaller ships??

I still would like to try the Big Ones...the Big Three :)

Not sure that Carnival will/should try to outdo them??

MUCH SMALLER? not true.

EPIC: Tonnage: 155,873 GT

BREAKAWAY: Tonnage: 143,500 GT

I sail primarily for the ports. My biggest concern with ships is the crowding and passenger flow more than all of the extra amenities.

While I am so curious about the Oasis class, personally it seems like they are trying to replicate a land-based resort.

Also, the big Oasis class ships just can't get into the ports I am more likely to want to visit. I don't see spending the extra money for another trip to Nassau and St. Thomas.

I more or less agree with you, but just coming at it from a different angle.

My two best cruising buddies are also among those who cruise for ports. They love seeing new places and don't like crowding or noises. The difference is they are loaded so they don't have to deal with Carnival. They do itinerary heavy cruises with upscale lines, Crystal, Azamara and such. Those ships get to really awesome ports that Carnival ships will never see. And crowding is unheard of.

But let's be honest, true adventurists will not likely choose a cruise as a vacation. The good old days when cruisers were explorers were long gone. Today folks from all walks of life cruise to have an easy and sheltered getaway. Exotic ports may or may not be important to everyone.

That's where destination ships come in. A relatively new concept designed to serve the segment who don't care for ports as much. The ships are exactly what people call them, resorts. But not just any resort, they are resorts at sea, which is the appeal for many of us. Epic, Oasis/Allure's ports are all pretty lame and decided by design. But since the ship is the destination, there is no need to get anywhere too fancy. Judging by their popularity and high prices, they obviously have a winning formula.

Carnival combines decent ports with decent ships and bottom prices. It's a working formula. I am not sure if Carnival needs to go into the mega ship market. But if they do, you bet they will want to charge more as long as the ships are successful and folks are willing to pay.

I am not sure if Carnival needs to go into the mega ship market. But if they do, you bet they will want to charge more as long as the ships are successful and folks are willing to pay.

I think this is where Rottweiler's theory will come into play.

They won't charge higher fares, they will cram more passengers.

I more or less agree with you, but just coming at it from a different angle.

My two best cruising buddies are also among those who cruise for ports. They love seeing new places and don't like crowding or noises. The difference is they are loaded so they don't have to deal with Carnival. They do itinerary heavy cruises with upscale lines, Crystal, Azamara and such. Those ships get to really awesome ports that Carnival ships will never see. And crowding is unheard of.

But let's be honest, true adventurists will not likely choose a cruise as a vacation. The good old days when cruisers were explorers were long gone. Today folks from all walks of life cruise to have an easy and sheltered getaway. Exotic ports may or may not be important to everyone.

That's where destination ships come in. A relatively new concept designed to serve the segment who don't care for ports as much. The ships are exactly what people call them, resorts. But not just any resort, they are resorts at sea, which is the appeal for many of us. Epic, Oasis/Allure's ports are all pretty lame and decided by design. But since the ship is the destination, there is no need to get anywhere too fancy. Judging by their popularity and high prices, they obviously have a winning formula.

Carnival combines decent ports with decent ships and bottom prices. It's a working formula. I am not sure if Carnival needs to go into the mega ship market. But if they do, you bet they will want to charge more as long as the ships are successful and folks are willing to pay.

I am more of an adventure traveler and I can do a pretty good job of getting off of the beaten path when cruising - particularly on the southern Caribbean routes I like to travel.

This being said, I don't have any cruises planned after the Southern on Brilliance next year because I am itching to get way off the beaten path again - probably somewhere in Central America like Nicaragua's Corn Islands... Or maybe the islands off the coast of Panama.

I will seek out the cruises that hit islands like Bonaire and Dominica where tons of people don't go. (so profitable for Princess that they no longer do it:rolleyes:)

Back to the adventure travel thing - one thing I do use cruises for is to do recon for future land-based trips. Go visit the ports and decide which places I would like to go back to for a longer land-based trip.

If the ship doesn't go to interesting places (Oasis) I am not likely to travel on it - even if I am fascinated by the ship itself.

We just got off the EPIC and it was nothing short of amazing! Its not even in the same catagory as any Carnival cruise there is no comparison but it cost us double in fare and double in onboard spending. Its one of thsie you do once and say you have done it. Once you've experienced it I think the novelty will ware off. As my hubby says we'd much rather cruise twice a year for the same price.

We are Platinum cruisers on CCL, and due to the continued cutbacks and decrease in service we went on NCL last year. First we tried the Star and then during the fall we did the Epic. It was by far the best cruise we have ever been on! The features and amenities on that ship are second to none. Mr. Sheehan who took over a couple of yrs ago at NCL has done a remarkable job transforming that brand and fleet. This spring for the kids Spring Break we did the 8-day Eastern on the Valor and my kids said after sailing NCL and coming back to CCL, they wanted NCL every time...problem is they don't seem to cruise the Caribbean in the Summer. Epic/Oasis/Allure for sure are destination ships, if you can't find something on those ships that will please you then I'm afraid nothing will. The flow of those ships are amazing, never seem crowded to us due to proper designs. Its nice being able to walk the whole length of the ship without having to go up, over, and then back down to get somewhere like you have to do on most CCL ships. There are deals to be found on other lines just like CCL, when you find them take the chance to try something else out. You can't knock it until you give it a try...then compare. We will still sail CCL for the simple fact they cruise in the Caribbean during the Summer, we will however move to NCL for our fall cruises...after doing both its the little things we missed (for example being given a drink of water or lemonade when coming back onboard the vessel for port as well as a cold cloth to clean up with while you get back on. We liked having an employee outside all the dining venues with hand sanitizer making everyone clean their hands before they entered the restaurant(s).). All lines have pluses and minuses...same as all ships but the Epic will blow you away if you give it a try!

I'm not too keen on those big ships either. I even sailed the Dream last year and thought that was a tad too big for me. With all that stuff to do on the cruise, I'd need a vacation from my vacation when I returned home. Give me a quiet, shady spot with a good book and I'm all set. All those different activities (rock climbing, zip lining, ice rinks, parks) would just make me feel like I've got to do more to get my money's worth. Just a humble opinion from a 40-something couch potato though. LOL

Great summation! No need for me to say more.

Archived