Norwegian Star Was Shining Brighter than ever - Western Caribbean 3-25 to 4-1

titanguru

The six of us had a great cruise to the West Caribbean on board the NCL Star. This was our third cruise on the Star and by far exceeded our expectations.

With the Star moving in couple of weeks to New York and Bermuda, I will not be providing a lot of information on the port of calls but feel free to ask and I will try to answer your questions.

If you don’t want to read the whole review here is the executive summary:

Logistics such as embarkation, tendering and such went without a hitch. Even in Belize, they were boarding two tenders at a time each one holding about a hundred passengers. The only area that they could improve on is on embarkation day, they had some band playing in the Atrium which was very loud. As passengers came to the Service desk with questions or issues, you could not hear yourself think. That made communications very difficult. In the past two cruises they had the Manila Trio (now the Manila duo) playing which was very warm and welcoming not to mention added a touch of class to that great Atrium.

Food: We enjoyed the food and it was either excellent or outstanding. Prime Rib was served one time at the MDR and it was cooked to perfection. Even the Lobster which was served the first night was good (according to my son) compared with our last cruise. We had two dinners at the specialty restaurants and both were outstanding. My sister and BIL who did not cruise on NCL before but had experience with Royal Caribbean and Princess said the food was better than both lines. I know we always say that food is subjective and I even said that on other posts but come to think of it, if someone can’t find something to their liking to eat then it is their fault. There were omelet stations, waffles, crapes, carving stations, salads, hot and cold soups, cold cuts, fish grilled, fried, stuffed, chicken, beef, and pork. There was Asian station, pasta station and this is just the buffet. We did not go to Aqua but we ate most of our dinners at the Versailles and the six of us were always happy with the food and service. The two specialty restaurants were outstanding (Le Bistro and Teppanyaki). BTW, we found lemonade in the buffet during lunch and dinner. I don’t recall seeing that in our past cruises. They had three different fruit juice available during breakfast.

When we went to the MDR early or late we were seated right away. We had to wait couple of times when we went between 6:30-7:00 PM. One time waited for 10 minutes and the other time 30 minutes. The smiling Ana Maria handed us a pager and we were called when our table is ready.

Cabins: We had three cabins. A Balcony (BA) on Deck 10 for me and DW, an interior for the kids just across the hallway, and an interior on deck 11 forward for my sister and BIL. The cabins had lots of storage areas and were clean and well maintained. We booked the same cabins we had on our last cruise and were looking forward to seeing our cabin steward Christopher but he was on vacation. Our cabin steward was Joseph and he was wonderful. We saw him a least three to four time a day and he was on top of things and all of our requests were done promptly and with a smile. We had him empty the fridge so I can stock it with my Coke Zero.

Entertainment: We attended all the shows with couple of exceptions. We missed Shout and the Crew show. All the shows were top notch and we enjoyed them with the exception of the magic show. You might enjoy it if you were 10 or younger. If the assistant wasn’t cute I would’ve considered jumping over board. NCL must’ve got that magician from some cheap rent a clown outfit. Angels was outstanding and not to be missed. Second City was great. Oh, don’t forget Shark Bait. I laughed so hard my eyes were watering. These two guys are nuts and very talented. The Star Production staff was really good and 100 times better than last year.

The officers were very visible and you could not throw a pretzel role without hitting one. They stopped and chatted with passengers and were very accessible. Toward the end of the cruise we were wondering if they got enough sleep if at all. The Captain was much engaged and took the time to talk with folks and was at most functions such as the M&G, Latitude, and VIP etc... Not what we have seen and experienced in past cruises.

Diffently enjoyed reading your positive review, we're doing the repositioning cruise out of New York to New Orleans this coming October 2012.

Having read the responses to your post are also positive and it makes the time seems so

much longer until we leave for our cruise.

I'm sure we will also have a great time and a positive experience.

( just a long 197 more sleeps til we cruise )

Sorry, just got back from the Emergency Room. DS broke his nose this afternoon during a Rugby game (second time). Oh Well.

Day Three: Roatan, Honduras

We decided to meet my sister and BIL in the buffet for breakfast so we get an early start on the day and spend as much time on shore as possible. I guess the other 2500 passengers had the same idea. Took us some time to find a table but all is well and we got into the business of stuffing our faces. Added some corn beef potatoes to my omelet and they were yummy. To our surprise, the head chef (we met during our M&G) passes our table to the next table that was just vacated and started cleaning it. Now that’s leading by example. Maybe we can send our congress to the same school NCL is sending their officers to (never mind ignore that. Just make them walk the plank):D.

Got our stuff and headed to deck four and off the ship. We took few photos and then went to Booth #8 where we paid $15pp to have access to Pirate Bay Las Palmas beach. We were whisked by a bus to the beach and what a sight. Beautiful white sand, nice loungers and chairs, turquoise water, and no one else at the beach but us. I don’t think we had more than 20 total bathers at the beach that day and it was very relaxing. Food, drinks, white sands, calm water, and light breeze were the order of the day. We went back to the ship about 4:00 PM with great memories looking forward to our evening aboard the Star. We went to the MDR for dinner early and were seated promptly. Great dinner and we went to the Java café for a quick drink and then the six of us went to the Stardust to see “the Second City”. They did a great job. I still can’t get the blow doll piece out of my head. I almost passed out laughing. After a great day we headed to our room late where we run into the beverage director who stopped us to see if my DW got the mixed coffee she was looking for. Then she tell us that they will be in contact with the other NCL ships in both Belize and Cozumel to see if they get one of the old Java Café menus so we can have the name of the drinks and what’s in them for future cruises. Again, another example of excellent customer service and attention to details. This was the perfect end to a perfect vacation day aboard the Norwegian Star.

Day Four: Belize City, Belize

After the mad house breakfast at the buffet yesterday, we decided to eat breakfast at the MDR and had a relaxing and good breakfast. We did not go early to get a tender ticket but by 8:30 we went down and boarded the next tender. We were ashore about 8:45 where we went looking for Cavetubing.bz as we had reserved with him for the day. After we found them, we were taken to the van and they handed us bottled water and we were asked to wait a little bit until few stragglers showed up. No problem. Found some shade under a tree and then we were approached by a vendor which was not pushy. We bought some bracelets for the girls and then were called to board the van. Junior drove us while going through some of Belize history. Very poor country and properties looked unmaintained. Anyhow, we started talking with the folks on the van and the ones that went to West End said it was very crowded and they did not enjoy it. So if you want a beach day in Roatan I would recommend Pirate Bay Las Palmas. Had a great time with junior and we hiked through the jungle then went tubing through the caves. Lunch was served and we were dropped at the pier for some final shopping before we boarded the tender back to the Star. We had a late dinner appointment at Teppanyaki so we went to the buffet and had a Crape to hold us over till then. Got showered and dressed and then went to the Stardust to watch “Band on the Run”. They did a great job and was way better than last year. We enjoyed the show. Dinner time, so we went to Teppanyaki and were seated right at 9:30 with six other guests. I was surprised how small Teppanyaki was. They only have seats for 14 and they all share the same table. After our orders two chefs came out with the ingredients which looked very fresh and high quality. Great cooking show and the food was awesome. I ordered the Land and Sea (Filet Mignon and Jumbo Shrimp). My meat was cooked to perfection and very tasty. Although we never felt that we were short changed in the MDR this was a wonderful meal and an experience we will remember as a family for a long time. When we were done with our dinner and walked out, we found the Gatsby’s Bar to be a hopping place. We stood and watched few old timers playing “name that Tune with Don Alexander”. Fun time was had by all and we had a good chuckle.

Went back to our cabin and I sat at the balcony and reflected on our day:

Woke up in a new country, jumped into a van with some guy name Junior, hiked in the jungle where we tested termite, looked at Tarantula, poisonous and healing plants. Went tubing in caves the Mayans worshiped and sacrificed in thousands of years ago. Went to Junior’s house where we had a local meal served to us (grandmother recipe). Then got back to the ship, had French Crape for a snack and then closed the day with a great tasty meal in a Japanese Restaurant. They have not even dreamed that experience in Vegas. Thanked god as we are blessed and called it a day. I went to bed with a smile on my face. Thank you NCL for making that possible.

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing on the Star in a few weeks. This will be our second NCL cruise and what I remembered from our first cruise was the hand scooped ice cream do they have that on the Star Thanks

They do. I don't recall seeing the Ice Cream parlor which is located between the Buffet and the kids area open (deck 12). But I think I saw them serve Ice cream scoops from the Pool buffet. Also, They always have soft serve ice cream at the buffet. Also, they had some type of ice cream available in the MDR every day. I did not have any because to me the cold soups they had at the buffet was a good as any ice cream you can get. Just melted:)

I think they do have the same menu though somehow others posted that they have the ribeye steak in the aqua while I think it is New York Strip in the Versailles. The menu has two sides. One is the same every day which has steak, chicken, salmon, and a veggie entree while the other side changes daily.

We tried the Aqua on our first cruise and the wife did not like it much. The ceiling is low and as such it tend to be a little noisy. Also, I understand it is a little more relaxed in the dress code than the Versailles but can't say for sure. The Versailles is very elegant and nicely appointed. We tend to go there all the time though others seems to enjoy the Aqua too.

If there is a line in one you can always go and check what the wait is in the other. We only had to wait twice and if you go early or late then no wait. For us, waiting for few minutes is not an issue. It is not like we are in a hurry to go anywhere. Oh BTW, We wanted to make one of the shows and let our waiter know and he got us served and out on time. Otherwise it will be a leasury experience (ie. they won't serve the next course until everyone has finished and their plates were picked up and the table reset for the next course)

You will love the Star. Enjoy your vacation.

Titanguru and Mrs. H. - Thank you for the responses! Helpful information.

Sorry about your DS's broken nose Titanguru. I have 2 teens very into sports and last year both were in casts at the same time!

Titanguru and Mrs. H. - Thank you for the responses! Helpful information.

Sorry about your DS's broken nose Titanguru. I have 2 teens very into sports and last year both were in casts at the same time!

Thanks. I think the butt chewing that we get from DW hurt more than the injury itself. I get chewed for let him play such "dangerous games' and him for playing them. Protective mother and all. I say it build character. He is doing great and mad because he can't go to practice next week.

Thank you for the review, I hope that it'll keep me sane for the next two days before we start our trip towards boarding Star next sunday.

And it's extremely nice to hear that chilled soups are still available at least in buffet, some said that those would have been discontinued for good. Eating chilled banana soup for the first time ever in MDR on Jade on my first cruise was a very memorable event and I've been hooked on most of the fruit soups ever since - especially in the caribbean heat. :)

Thank you for the review, I hope that it'll keep me sane for the next two days before we start our trip towards boarding Star next sunday.

And it's extremely nice to hear that chilled soups are still available at least in buffet, some said that those would have been discontinued for good. Eating chilled banana soup for the first time ever in MDR on Jade on my first cruise was a very memorable event and I've been hooked on most of the fruit soups ever since - especially in the caribbean heat. :)

We had both lunches and dinners at the MDR and we did not see the chilled soup being offered. In the buffet there is a soup section (I think the port side of the buffet) it was always available. Enjoy.

Day Five: Costa Maya, Mexico

We docked in Costa Maya. We were in no hurry so we took our time and went to breakfast a little late at the buffet and the rush was over so we had our cooked to order omelets and waffles. Oh, try the sticky buns. My wife said they were great; I was too busy eating my chocolate croissant so did not try them. Headed out and the port seemed new and very nice. We left the port area and went outside where we took a taxi by the Hard rock Café to Tropicante where we had 6 loungers reserved and spent a nice day at the beach drinking, eating, and swimming. The vendors were not pushy and we ended up buying few souvenirs that day. We headed back to the ship to change as we wanted to make sure we did not miss the show that night. We went to the early showing at 7:15 of “Angles” and it was outstanding. That’s the show you do not want to miss. After that we headed to dinner at the MDR. To my surprise, Ana Maria (the Versailles Hostess) welcomed us and said she missed us yesterday (we ate at Teppanyaki). Another example of attention to details by the Star staff. Got seated and we had a nice dinner. Don’t remember what we had that evening I guess too many drinks in Costa Maya and then some at the Stardust Theater. After dinner the wife and I decided to call it a day while the kids and sister went to the white dance party.

Day Six: Cozumel, Mexico

Breakfast at the MDR and off we go. We had a driver and van reserved in Cozumel. I found out that Cozumel was going to have 8 cruise ships that day and did not want to fight the crowd. Got through the maze of shops at the port where we met our driver Gerry. After some introduction we told him that we do not want to go see ruins or do tequila factory tours. We wanted to do few local things and do more of a nature tour. First stop was a little store where we picked up five bottles of sodas, two bottles of waters, and two large bottles of pure vanilla for a total of $16. Then we started our tour of the island. About 11 AM we asked Gerry to take us to a tortilla bakery where we got 2 pounds of freshly baked tortilla for less than $1. What a treat. You couldn’t hold them they were so hot. Then couple of shopping stops on the way to the east side of the island (less developed area, no electricity or services). There were a lot of folks in rental cars and scooters but they did not have Gerry’s expertise and knowledge of the island. After numerous pictures and stops, Gerry took us Playa Bonita Restaurant and what food. The food was excellent and we sat so close to the waves that we felt some spray when the wave hit the wall hard. Did the light house tour and it was time to head back. Had Gerry drop us off for last minute shopping by the pier and we were on the way back to the Star. BTW, the NCL dock is right by the middle of the island where all the action is. The other cruise lines were docked few miles down the road so you had to take a taxi to get to the stores and restaurants or a long walk. Another plus for NCL. Back on the ship, we decided to do the early show of Shark bait after the large lunch we had. The show was great and I LMAO. My son still talks to his friends about the show, it was hilarious. Later to the MDR where I had Prime Rib and breaded shrimps, perfect. I asked for a larger portion and was not disappointed. Tonight was the Chocoholic Buffet. Now the first time we were on the Star, they turned the whole buffet into a chocolate bonanza which was very classy and beautiful not to mention tasty. It was held a 10:30PM which caused long lines. Last year it was a disappointment. They just took a section of the buffet and had few deserts. So we did not go up till after 9:00 PM and wow. They did a great display. The whole starboard side of the buffet was turned into chocolate heaven. Even though we were late, everything was still available and plentiful. Nice job. Enjoyed another desert and went to the Karaoke blast at the Red Lion Pub. Another great day aboard the Norwegian Star[/font]

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing on the Star in a few weeks. This will be our second NCL cruise and what I remembered from our first cruise was the hand scooped ice cream do they have that on the Star Thanks

We also found that Blue Lagoon offered this, but it wasn't on the menu. They offered a sundae to my daughter the first night, and it became a nightly ritual for the three of us. :)

I miss ice cream before bed, chocolate croissants for breakfast, and pretzel rolls (all day long)!

Glad you had a good time - we love the Star! I was surprised to see that Shark Bait is on the Star. Last we saw them we were on the Pearl. I'm sure they 'jump ship' now and then....they really are funny!

Thanks for the review.. Always nice to hear a 'Happy Cruiser'... :)

We sail on the 12 day from Tampa to NYC in 8 days.. :p We have a B-1 aft.. (back of the bus..):rolleyes::p

You have to report back and let us know how your trip was...especially me...LOL...we are booked on her for a 12 day trans-atlantic and have a B-1 aft deck 10 booked...10730..make sure you take some pic of the cabin and balcony...LOL

Thanks for your upbeat review, I don't like to read the negatives I only like the positive reviews, we are going on the the June 10th sailing out of NY, I hope they are right about the Moderno, we were looking forward to it on our cruise. Thanks again for making me so excited about our cruise.

Joann

• 4 weeks later...

Titanguru....Thanks so much for your great review. We just booked the star for March2013 the other day and this made me so excited to hear all the good stuff about the ship.

We are in cabin 10598. Just curious if this is around where you were on deck 10. Trying to find out if there was a lot of noise. Thanks!

Archived